ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheapest way to go low and hard (ooo errr)

Ph2 Clio 172
Whats the cheapest way to get some decent lowering and stiffening on a stock 172?

Since fitting 15s and doing a couple of track days, it desperately needs lowering, and I would like a stiffer set-up. My initial though is just some Eibach Sportlines, but what about cheap coilovers? I'm not going racing, just some casual track days.

I know cheap coilovers get a lot of flack on here, but are the actually bad, or are they just bad compared to the better more expensive versions?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
the chances are, the money you spend is proportional to the quality of suspension,

standard set up cost a lot more than cheap coilovers!!

Ph2 Clio 172
Standard setup isn't that much. If i was to get Sportlines and camber bolts the complete cost would be:

Front shocks £120 + rear shocks £100 + Sportlines £125 + camber bolts £20 = £365.

Which by your rules means even the cheapest sub £400 coilovers would be better?

Basically, can i get a better setup than Sportlines on standard shocks without spending massively more? What about replacing the standard shocks with aftermarket ones but still using sportlines?

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
you can get a low & hard riding car, but that's not to be confused with "better handling".

Suspension travel and compliance is a good thing.
Besides, for the sake of a "few track days", do you really want to have the car painfully uncomfartable and impractical "in the real"?
If it's purely a weekend toy, not a daily, then fair enough.

In any case, it's your car, spend what you like on it, just remember you're pouring money into a £1.5k, old French hatchback

Ph2 Clio 172
you can get a low & hard riding car, but that's not to be confused with "better handling".

Suspension travel and compliance is a good thing.
Besides, for the sake of a "few track days", do you really want to have the car painfully uncomfartable and impractical "in the real"?
If it's purely a weekend toy, not a daily, then fair enough.

In any case, it's your car, spend what you like on it, just remember you're pouring money into a £1.5k, old French hatchback

I dont drive to work so its pretty much doesn't move unless I drive it to a trackday. I wanna do it as cheaply as possible as it is, as you said, a pretty worthless French box. However, when I mention getting sportlines I get told I am wasting my money????

Don't the cup campers have different bolt spacing?

Listerine & Poledo
yeah, unfortunately I dont believe you can simply swap normal and cup suspension easily.

I dont know about the merits of different springs. But I'd have thought, at an equal price point, a set of fixed springs & dampers would be better quality than coilovers.

Although there is the blue-sky idea. new OEM all round? 8yr old kit is going to be getting pretty tired.

Ph2 Clio 172
The rear shocks are new, I would get some new fronts with the sportlines.

It needs to go lower though so stock springs are out. With the 15" wheels on it has a fairly comedy arch gap thing going on :)

260% JCW
Mk2 172 shocks will go on a 172 cup (sold my Koni shocks to a guy with a Cup) so i don't see why the reverse can't be applied.

Cup shocks with some sportlines maybe? Got to be better than some cheap coilovers that will go low and that's about it.

Having had cheap coilovers on my track clio, you just as better off with a standard setup to cheap coilovers.

The best priced coilover setup with adjustablility is the FK Konigsport coilovers, they go stiff enough as well as hard wearing. I know a few people on these as well as myself having them and they never failed on me.

Save the extra and get better stuff, trust me I bought cheap and bought 2 twice!

Nick

172 Cup, Volvo V70
I refreshed all the shocks with OEM Renault on mine, and put Eibach Sportlines on. In my opinion that was a MUCH wiser option than cheap coilovers. It handles great. Cheap coilovers and crap and don't last, they are just for looks.

Ph2 Clio 172
Having had cheap coilovers on my track clio, you just as better off with a standard setup to cheap coilovers.

The best priced coilover setup with adjustablility is the FK Konigsport coilovers, they go stiff enough as well as hard wearing. I know a few people on these as well as myself having them and they never failed on me.

Save the extra and get better stuff, trust me I bought cheap and bought 2 twice!

Nick

So... Your suggestion for a cheap way to get a bit lower and stiffer suspension is a £700 set of coilovers...

This thread is meant to be about any alternatives to sportlines, which means stuff around the same price, not 4x more. I'm well aware that more expensive setups are better, bit if I was after a more expensive set I wouldnt have posted this thread...

MK3 GTI golf 16v
just be patient and look for some second hand coilovers mate, there was a set of weitecs went for like £350 on ebay the other week. and some FK coilovers

So... Your suggestion for a cheap way to get a bit lower and stiffer suspension is a £700 set of coilovers...

This thread is meant to be about any alternatives to sportlines, which means stuff around the same price, not 4x more. I'm well aware that more expensive setups are better, bit if I was after a more expensive set I wouldnt have posted this thread...

Lol, get s**t coilovers then, they'll be just as soft and no better on track like I've said. But hey it gives you lowz.

Ph2 Clio 172
Lol, get s**t coilovers then, they'll be just as soft and no better on track like I've said. But hey it gives you lowz.

So cheap coilovers will be no better than standard shocks and sportlines? Thanks, ill stick with the original sportlines idea then.

See, that wasn't hard was it? I don't get some peoples attitude on this forum. If its not the most expensive stuff, its crap.

Evo 5 RS
Second hand definitely. Buy cheap buy twice where as new is concerned. I'd stay away from the K-Tec crap if you use your car regularly, although theyre not as bad as some would make out. I picked up a set of B14s for £200 and all they needed was a tap, totally fine and ready to go on. Bargain

340i
Second hand definitely. Buy cheap buy twice where as new is concerned. I'd stay away from the K-Tec crap if you use your car regularly, although theyre not as bad as some would make out. I picked up a set of B14s for £200 and all they needed was a tap, totally fine and ready to go on. Bargain

I am still angry for missing those LOL!

Ph2 Clio 172
Pipe down you fool.

It's my thread, lol!

Sportlines and Cup shocks (fronts) will set you back about £250. Seen as any coilovers at this price are apparently made of tin foil and jam, if £250 is what you have to spend, this seems to be the best and only option.