ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing shocks (What tools?)

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I want to change all four shocks on my 182, and rather than paying someone else, I figured I could probably do it myself; there are plenty of guides on here and it seems relatively easy.

At the moment I have no tools whatsoever, so looking for some advice on kits etc that will allow me to carry out the vast majority of tasks on the clio, and most other cars in general.

I was thinking along the lines of the 120 piece socket set from Halfords, that seems to have been suggested a few times round here. Could I do with, or make do with less by buying a set with either more or less pieces?

Then I'll need a jack and axle stands, any recommendations? Are ratchet stands more useful? Will a low profile trolley jack be required/more convenient if the car is lowered?

Is there anything else I'll find useful/required? Breaker bar perhaps?

I'm a complete novice in this regard, but very keen to learn, thanks.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Spring compressors and yes a breaker bar. Probably a few swan neck scanners too (21mm or 22mm I can't remember)

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
All the basic pro stuff from Halfords do the job, or will I find better value/quality elsewhere? Being able to take individual tools back under warranty to my local does sound convenient.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Don't need spring compressors for a 1*2.

For the front you'll need a 6mm allan key to go in the top of the shock and a 21mm swan neck spanner to loosen the top mount whilst the car is still on the ground. Get the top mount to the top of the thread but don't remove completely. (Do both sides at the same time)

Loosen the wheel bolts (deep 19mm socket), jack up and axle stand both sides then remove the wheels.

Use a deep 21mm socket on the shock nuts whilst holding the bolt still with your 21mm swan neck spanner. Remove both shock bolts and then whilst one hand holds the shock remove the top mount and then remove the shock. Fitting is the reverse.

For the rear you don't need to jack the car up, I tend to park on a couple of bits of wood to get some height but thats cos I'm not very small!

I can't remember the size of the shock to hold it still, maybe 8mm (I have konis but an adjustable spanner or mole grips would work). Use a 16mm spanner to remove the top nut and slide the bush off.

Use a 18mm socket on the bottom bolt and remove it. The shock can then be pulled out. Make sure you get the bushes as sometimes they stick to the shell. Each rear shock will have a lower bush, upper bush and a metal cylinder that goes between them.

Fitting is again the reverse.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
The 21mm swan neck was a pain in the arse to get hold of from a shop as Halfords and other factors didnt have them. So went online and ordered it. The rest of kit is in most standard kits.

FF RB 182
Just be careful the Halfords pro socket set I have got is mainly 12 sided sockets, you want a decent set of 6 sided really.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Does the 150 set have anything extra I'll require, or just 'cause I'm spending the money already and might as well get a bit more that might come in handy in future?

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
I couldn't find a 21mm swan neck spanner anywhere local so Heez and I made this. Works just a well and conveniently by chance fits a 21mm spanner! Have used it loads of times now and its been perfect!

P1000819.jpg

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thats a good point actually, Dave bought a deep 21mm socket that a spanner goes on easily, thats also useful but the above is a damn good diy one!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Using this guide for the fronts as it seems the easiest to follow: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ruts-springs-(with-pics)&highlight=suspension

John, when you say 21mm socket on the shock nuts - is 21mm specific to the 182? As the guide says 18mm, but the guide appears to be for a 172 variant.

Also, when you put all the bits back on the new shock, and you tighten up the bolt at the top, how far do you tighten the bolt? Do I need to know anything about torque ratings, or can I do this all by hand just by doing things tight as can, without breaking it obviously.

Thanks.

EDIT: and is it advised to support the driveshaft with a stand, some seem to suggest this, others no mention.

Last edited:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
From what I remember 18mm is for non sports, 21mm is defo what 172s and 182s use. As for torque settings I run with FT (fu.......lly tight)

it wouldn't be the driveshaft but the hub people support, basically to stop it from pulling the driveshaft out the gearbox. It's better to move the hub either towards the front or rear of the car to get the caliper or track rod out of the way. Some pull it away from the car then Wonder why their driveway is covered in oil.

330i. E30 Touring.
If they've never been off before, take the car to a local garage. Get them to spin the top mounts off with an airgun and loosely refit so you can undo easily at home.

Can be a right pig if they're all scabby, even with the swan neck etc.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Even a long arm/breaker bar couldn't undo the top nuts on my front suspension. I had to get an air-gun on them.

Any yep, they were drowned in WD-40 beforehand too.

​D.