ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chances of getting insured on a sport at 19?

BMW 330ci
I'm currently 19 driving a non sport. My insurance runs out in March, and I would love to get a clio sport. Just doing insurance quotes, and even though I will have 2 years NCB, also 3 female drivers with 15+ years driving, cheapest I could find was £3400 TPFT which is tooo much. The reason is because I live in the worst postcode. B69.

Is there any way I could get it cheaper?

Whats the cheapest sport to insure (if there is one), PH1, PH2 172, cup, 182, 182 FF ?

Thanks
Brad

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
its doable, but its extortionate

cheapest would be a brand new 200 apparently

edit, that was incredibly vague. 19yolds are on here with 1*2's, they must have good jobs or live in good areas. i doubt youll find insurance for less than 2k if youre lucky.

going by another thread, insurance factor in how likely a car is to be crashed. since 1*2's are so cheap, chavs have got hold of them and written s**t loads off... these will be higher risk cars than new 200s since theres been fewer crashed... then theres safety ratings etc too

Lotus Elise
I was insured on my Trophy at 19 under a grand but its took at lot dick sucking to get it that cheap. It was £50 cheaper to insure my T over a Cup.

BMW 330ci
Realised its in the wrong section, shouldve put it in insurance. Sorry :eek: Can a mod move it please.

I know but by the time Ive bought the car, I couldve bought the insurance about 3 times over.

Lotus Elise
I live in the safest post code in the U.K.

Tips for cheaper insurance are:

Shop around, a lot!
Put parents/GF on as named drivers
Try and get a multi-car policy
Park it on the street also lowers insurance for some strange reason.
No mods
Up the excess to lower the premium.
Pay in full
Cry and beg down the phone.
Get a sex change.

E36 M3. 182
I live in the safest post code in the U.K.

Tips for cheaper insurance are:

Shop around, a lot!
Put parents/GF on as named drivers
Try and get a multi-car policy
Park it on the street also lowers insurance for some strange reason.
No mods
Up the excess to lower the premium.
Pay in full
Cry and beg down the phone.
Get a sex change.

Also, move house.

Out of interest Sam, when did you insure a T at 19 for under a grand? Your sort of comment is all well and good but if car insurance is going up by 30/40/70/whatever% each year and this was 2 years ago then it might not be useful in today's market. It'd be a bit like me saying I bought a Freddo for 5p - I did but that was 10 years ago :rasp:

The "young 1*2 owners" thread clearly shows it's possible, but you have to have absolutely everything (post code, lump sum payment, etc) in your favour. In my experience (last march):

* Insurance cost went 182 < 182 FF < 172 cup < 172 < ph1. The FF was only second cheapest because my insurer argued the optional extras (cup packs - which you DO HAVE TO DECLARE with admiral/bell/etc) made it more desireable to theifs (unfair but what can we do, Admiral/Bell/elephant/etc can quote whatever they want with whatever reasoning they want and we can't do anything) About a year ago Bell wanted £130 extra for it being an FF (though if the theif logic is true then expect it to be even more in a worse postcode?) The ph1 was more expensive than the ph2 because one has a market value fo 2k, the other 3k. I guess they figure (to an extent) you're more likely to take care over a more expensive car.

* If the worst happens I really didn't realise how much my (car related) life would be f***ed up. 19 and no NCB makes it expensive anyway, I also have a written off 182 to my name not to mention the £1100 excess that made the quote so good in the first place. I now can't afford the insurance on my 182 so had to get rid of it. It's all well and good thinking "I'm a sensible driver, it won't happen to me" and that's exactly what I thought. But it doesn't matter. All you need is for some other idiot to hit you and dispute the claim. Instantly goes 50:50, you pay a massive excessive, can't afford the insurance any more, sell the 182, lose NCB & you're back to step one of the insurance ladder.

However, owning an RS when seemingly everything (job, insurance cost, being a student etc) against you is a great feeling of achievement and not to mention the fun in driving them.

/sure-to-be-ignored grown up warning to young people not to crash.

Lotus Elise
Out of interest Sam, when did you insure a T at 19 for under a grand? Your sort of comment is all well and good but if car insurance is going up by 30/40/70/whatever% each year and this was 2 years ago then it might not be useful in today's market. It'd be a bit like me saying I bought a Freddo for 5p - I did but that was 10 years ago :rasp:

Im 20 now so not that long ago ;)

My premiums are continuely going down (touch wood) although I am not looking to protect my NCB. When I say cup I mean a 172 btw. :)

BMW 330ci

The "young 1*2 owners" thread clearly shows it's possible, but you have to have absolutely everything (post code, lump sum payment, etc) in your favour. In my experience (last march):

* Insurance cost went 182 < 182 FF < 172 cup < 172 < ph1. The FF was only second cheapest because my insurer argued the optional extras (cup packs - which you DO HAVE TO DECLARE with admiral/bell/etc) made it more desireable to theifs (unfair but what can we do, Admiral/Bell/elephant/etc can quote whatever they want with whatever reasoning they want and we can't do anything) About a year ago Bell wanted £130 extra for it being an FF (though if the theif logic is true then expect it to be even more in a worse postcode?) The ph1 was more expensive than the ph2 because one has a market value fo 2k, the other 3k. I guess they figure (to an extent) you're more likely to take care over a more expensive car.

* If the worst happens I really didn't realise how much my (car related) life would be f***ed up. 19 and no NCB makes it expensive anyway, I also have a written off 182 to my name not to mention the £1100 excess that made the quote so good in the first place. I now can't afford the insurance on my 182 so had to get rid of it. It's all well and good thinking "I'm a sensible driver, it won't happen to me" and that's exactly what I thought. But it doesn't matter. All you need is for some other idiot to hit you and dispute the claim. Instantly goes 50:50, you pay a massive excessive, can't afford the insurance any more, sell the 182, lose NCB & you're back to step one of the insurance ladder.

However, owning an RS when seemingly everything (job, insurance cost, being a student etc) against you is a great feeling of achievement and not to mention the fun in driving them.

/sure-to-be-ignored grown up warning to young people not to crash.
Thanks for that advice, some good information there mate, and some I'll take on board. And yeah I just really want a 1*2 at 19, and I know everyone probably says it, but I don't think I would go mad in it because I know if something happens I would loose the car and be back to square one, plus because I would love it I wouldn't be reckless. I'm sure people will say but you wouldn't, but I honestly don't think I would because I would know exactly what I would be loosing. It would be a great satisfaction and feeling of achievement like you say to own an RS at a young age. Something I definitely want to do before I'm 20, a say 'dream' of mine.

225 Cup & Williams
If you want to take a hit paying that much insurance at 19 for an rs Clio it's worth it in the long run I've found. I insured a Williams then a 172 at 19 paid just over 2.5k now 21 paying 1k and I can insure my Williams r5gtt for cheap now. That's the way I see it anyway some folk on here will say your mental if you pay that much on insurance but if you want to I dont see the problem.

BMW 330ci
I have money aside for which I would use to buy the car, then selling my 1.2 would hopefully bring in a fair amount towards the insurance. And when I first got my 1.2 insurance it was £2500, then went down to £1700. Which I would 'hope' would happen if I got a sport, it would reduce after another year NCB

225 Cup & Williams
NCB near enough Halfed my 2.5k premium I was first paying for my 172. Your still going to pay a lot of money either way because of your age and cause insurance is an absolute joke.

BMW 330ci
I know thats what happened with my 1.2, so was hoping it would happen if I got a sport. I understand that, just trying to get it down as much as I can. Its my age and my postcode :|

Titanium 182
shop around alot as stated, I wangled my R6 insurance down to about £1000 tpft for my first year, second year renewal £355 fully comp...

TBH owning a 182 FF at 19 was epic. 5000 RPM is a joy. Handling is incredible. Looks brilliant. Sense of pride & achievement knowing it was 100% mine, my money, my hardwork, no-one elses, was massive. Comfort & sophistication compared to the usual 10 year old student car is off the scale. Knowing you've worked hard to achieve a mini "dream" was amazing. You see Fiesta STs, Golf GTIs, Focus ST170s, at junctions and rather than "nice!" you think "holy s***, I'm in a 182, and it's mine and it's not a dream."

I'm sorry if this comes across as biggoted (sp?) but I'm pleased that (unlike a lot of young people on CS) you want an RS for your love of Renaultsport and Clios - not just wanting to have a faster car than your mates, show off or "get looks." As a result I say if you get a decent quote go for it & all the best. You will love owning one.

This is a different thread admittedly & it's a clique but I'm the same. I know I'm sensible. I knew what I'd be like. And I was sensible. I did take amazing care of it. I never did a standing start. I don't speed. I don't get road rage. I never even dreamt of "racing" any friends let alone random strangers (The "driving stories" part of this forum sums up everything I'm not). IIRC my exact thought was "I don't drive around like an idiot all the time and a fast car won't change that, so I won't crash." It didn't take "all the time" or a fast car. It just took one innocent wrong decision that I'd still have made in a 1.2 or even on a bicycle. One split second decision and a few moments later it was all gone. Boring stuff all this I know, but perhaps here's the most important part: I'd do it all again. Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. Or something like that.

Back to trying to be helpful, here is your list of ingredients:

3x older drivers with impeccable driving history
2 yrs NCB
1x grade A postcode (See http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com/car-insurance-explained/car-insurance-postcode-risk-list.html)
1x lump sum (Crucial & worth delaying the car purchase for 3 months etc)
0 modifications
5000 miles a year only
Keep it on the drive
1x RS clio worth over £xxxx (Find the threshold. For me a sub £3k clio was £1800 to insure but a £3k clio was £1500. Instantly saved £300 for the sake of 1p market value)
1x fully comp policy (often cheaper than TPFT!)
1x being insured as a named driver on another car as well as your own
1x job (even if you're a student with a part time job, put that down as well. insurance is cheaper for the employed)

Persistance. Bell, Admiral and Elephant may be exactly the same company but one is cheaper than the other. Some people even suggest weird things like calling on a friday afternoon or the last day of the month as they'll be desperate to hit targets and will knock a bit more off. One hilarious thing I found was the "have you already had a quote?" [in which case we'll try to beat it] box: get quote from bell for £1550. re-do the quote entering £1550 as your best previous quote and lo and behold the very same company will beat it's own quote by maybe £20. Clearly there is a limit to this, maybe they only beat quotes within £50 or a certain % but finding all these little tips helps. I'm lucky, I have a big drive, a double garage and an empty road so I could legitimately play around and see which gave the cheapest quote and then keep my car on whichever piece of land (all within 10m of each other) was cheapest. Likewise I was also insured on another car at no cost to myself & the fact I also drove something of lower risk than an RS Clio brought my premium down.

Sorry to bang on and I'm sure I'm supposed to reply "use the frickin search!!!!!!" rather than type this sort of reply in every topic, but you seem really genuine so I hope at least something I've said helps.

P.S. If you're still in doubt watch MarkCup's "Stolen and Recovered - The 172 Cup that Lived on" video & some of his earlier-pre-majorly-modified trackday vids on youtube. That was the moment I decided I was going to own an RS.

BMW 330ci
WOW !! All I can say is thanks for everything you have writ, thanks for taking the time to write that as like you say you could've said search and I did BTW just better when its relevant to me lol.

Ever since I have been on this site, its always been a dream to own an RS (sounds sad) and thats why I end up doing my non-sport to look like one lol. But everytime I see one I get excited haha sadoooo, and think man wish I was driving it. I knew if I had one every time I seen it and drove it I would just love it. I would appreciate the speed, but that aint all that important tbh, I just love the looks, obviously I wouldnt mind the speed just like no-one would. But I had an accident in my 1.2 and it killed me, I was so shook up, and was just thinking s**t lost my car, no insurance screwed for about a year, because was in my first year of driving and insurance already killed me, well my dad was paying it, so was thinking he aint gonna help me. Luckily it all got sorted and was back insured bla bla. So I would know I need to look after the RS as after all it would be my pride and joy just like my non-sport is.

3x older drivers with impeccable driving history - Can do
2 yrs NCB - Will have in March
1x grade A postcode (See http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com...risk-list.html) - Don't have mine is a D which I think is killing me :|, maybe move to my girlfriends as hers is a B lol.
1x lump sum (Crucial & worth delaying the car purchase for 3 months etc)- Would have from selling my car
0 modifications- Would be fine because all the mods I've done to date is to get it to look like a sport lol, except coilovers :eek:
5000 miles a year only

Keep it on the drive- Would do
1x RS clio worth over £xxxx (Find the threshold. For me a sub £3k clio was £1800 to insure but a £3k clio was £1500. Instantly saved £300 for the sake of 1p market value) - Lol seriously !!
1x fully comp policy (often cheaper than TPFT!) - Would rather be fully comp if I had a RS tbh
1x being insured as a named driver on another car as well as your own - How would this help, because I have more experience or ??
1x job (even if you're a student with a part time job, put that down as well. insurance is cheaper for the employed) - Yeah can do that as I'm both but finish college in April so..

Again thanks for spending the time writing that, Ive probably writ half of what you did and feels like Ive been writing forever lol.
But some very useful tips, some I will defo consider and remember when trying to insure a sport. If worst comes to worse I'll have to keep my non-sport for a year, which will give me 3 years no claims.

1x being insured as a named driver on another car as well as your own - How would this help, because I have more experience or ??

I think this is more a case of looking at the insurance form and thinking "how can I make this work best for me whilst being truthful." I'm not suggesting pay £600 to get insured on your mum's 1.2 shopping trolley to make your 2.0L cheaper to insure, but if you already happen to be insured on and use another car, you're perfectly entitled to tick the "do you regularly use another car" box and save some money.

I'd guess they think the less time a 19 year old male is in his group 16 hot hatch the lower the risk. If he also uses another vehicle frequently then the "random accident" or catching-fire "risk" is shared between two vehicles.

As a totally seperate rant insurance cost depends alot on your moral compass. Put simply you can save ££££ by filling in the form properly (e.g. the above, other named drivers etc) and you can save a hell of a lot more by white lies/exaggerating. People put "gararged" when they don't even have a garage FFS. Occupation can affect it hugely as well and there are tradesmen "engineers" who fix things (massive mileage, white van man, city&guilds/btec/diploma qualification probably likes football & beer = high insurance risk) will enter "mechanical engineer" (office job, requires a degree, starting graduate salary £26k = low insurance risk) as their occupation and therefore get classed as low-risk saving £££ completely unjustifiably.

Just hit 20, and after 2 years NCB I was paying £503 on my 1.2
Then I bought a 172 and I'm paying £970 (parents know a manager at aviva), with all mods declared.

Beg like your life depends on it, also found it helps if parents etc have house/life insurance with the same company you will use for your car insurance.
Admiral/Elephant/Bell are usually reasonably good ones to go for.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Chances arent too bad if you have a good look around and make a few phone calls. Got mine in September at 19Yo for 1400 with mods declared so not too bad! it is possible for not to silly money just takes a lot of playing around with all the options to get the best deal!

But good luck bud its well worth it, I love it every time i drive it even if its just to tescos and back!!

RS6 C7
I'm 19 with 0 ncb as i haven't held a policy on one car for long enough to gain any and to be honest the works vans were more fun to drive than anything with a small engine, I'm looking at a 182, Quotes are £1800 in my own name, Fully comp. To get that i have to pay the balance in full and do less than 5k miles a year (which i do as i can use works vans) Admiral/ elephant & bell are all under 2k for me then the rest are over 3!

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Adrian Flux have been cheepest for me so far, I've never had a decent quote from admiral, elephant. I shall keep searching though :)

BMW 330ci
I think this is more a case of looking at the insurance form and thinking "how can I make this work best for me whilst being truthful." I'm not suggesting pay £600 to get insured on your mum's 1.2 shopping trolley to make your 2.0L cheaper to insure, but if you already happen to be insured on and use another car, you're perfectly entitled to tick the "do you regularly use another car" box and save some money.

I'd guess they think the less time a 19 year old male is in his group 16 hot hatch the lower the risk. If he also uses another vehicle frequently then the "random accident" or catching-fire "risk" is shared between two vehicles.

As a totally seperate rant insurance cost depends alot on your moral compass. Put simply you can save ££££ by filling in the form properly (e.g. the above, other named drivers etc) and you can save a hell of a lot more by white lies/exaggerating. People put "gararged" when they don't even have a garage FFS. Occupation can affect it hugely as well and there are tradesmen "engineers" who fix things (massive mileage, white van man, city&guilds/btec/diploma qualification probably likes football & beer = high insurance risk) will enter "mechanical engineer" (office job, requires a degree, starting graduate salary £26k = low insurance risk) as their occupation and therefore get classed as low-risk saving £££ completely unjustifiably.
Will take all that into consideration. Need to ring up the places really with a list of all my information so I have it ready to give them. And I can try the different options on the compare websites, then ring up the cheapest one and see what happens. I need to get a cheap..ish quote then I can use that against them all. But going to be difficult to find the cheap..ish one.
i had my ph1 172 @ 19 - admiral/ elephant tend to be best for young drivers
I will give them a try. Thanks. Also persuaded my mom/ dad to change their insurance and home insurance over if its cheap enough, so companies may give me a good deal if I change it all over surely ?

Just hit 20, and after 2 years NCB I was paying £503 on my 1.2
Then I bought a 172 and I'm paying £970 (parents know a manager at aviva), with all mods declared.

Beg like your life depends on it, also found it helps if parents etc have house/life insurance with the same company you will use for your car insurance.
Admiral/Elephant/Bell are usually reasonably good ones to go for.

£970 :eek: thats a quote I would love lol. Aint even that cheap on my 1.2 :(. Yeah Ive convinced my mom/ dad to change everything over ;)

Chances arent too bad if you have a good look around and make a few phone calls. Got mine in September at 19Yo for 1400 with mods declared so not too bad! it is possible for not to silly money just takes a lot of playing around with all the options to get the best deal!

But good luck bud its well worth it, I love it every time i drive it even if its just to tescos and back!!

£1400 is another awesome price :( how did you get that. Really want to get a good quote man :(

I'm 19 with 0 ncb as i haven't held a policy on one car for long enough to gain any and to be honest the works vans were more fun to drive than anything with a small engine, I'm looking at a 182, Quotes are £1800 in my own name, Fully comp. To get that i have to pay the balance in full and do less than 5k miles a year (which i do as i can use works vans) Admiral/ elephant & bell are all under 2k for me then the rest are over 3!
Is yours so cheap because you drive the vans aswell ?
Adrian Flux have been cheepest for me so far, I've never had a decent quote from admiral, elephant. I shall keep searching though :)

Whats the cheapest quote you've got ?

BMW 330ci
Really wish I could find a good quote, anything below £2500 I would be happy with. I've seen a sport I would love... 2003, iceberg 172 non-cup, has a built in sat nav, everything is mint apart from the steering wheel, but I have a steering wheel just need thumb grips which that has. It has 75,000 miles which aint too bad I dont think, and its £2700, but could easily get it for £2500. Could also offer my car as a Part-ex, so could hopefully get it for £1250-£1500.

Audi A5
When I was 19 or maybe just turned 20 I payed 2500 over monthly payments for the first year (never again!!) Second year went down to 1500 a year in monthly payments. Now if i carried on for a new year it would be 1000 but I want a R26 now :) with will be 1700 which I think isen't that bad.

Oh another tip - don't buy from a price comparison website lol, for me they all added about a £100 commission on top of my 182 premium. They're fine for getting an idea of who is cheap and who to forget about, but get quotes straight from their website/phone.

Seems the £1400 is a fairly up-to-date going rate for the perfect postcode etc.