ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying an iPad 2

LY R26 #288
there is an iplayer app, i don't think you can download torrents though. Never heard of it before.

I sent my ipad back, i loved it but like everyone pointed out the contract was too much and the data was overkill. I'll be back! But i'm gonna buy one. What did you go for in the end JD?

there is an iplayer app, i don't think you can download torrents though. Never heard of it before.

I sent my ipad back, i loved it but like everyone pointed out the contract was too much and the data was overkill. I'll be back! But i'm gonna buy one. What did you go for in the end JD?

I did precisely what you did. Thought I might use it out and about, then realised I wouldn't + the contract would give me double the amount of data I use on the iPhone 4, let alone a house/work bound toy...

So after little deliberation (i.e. Dan saying it was stupid via PM) I bought a wifi 16gb from Tescos. Delivered next day.

1.8 Civic EX
I must admit it's quite hard to get the point across to non ipad owners. When the first one was out I didn't get one as I didn't "see the point".

I played on an ipad2 for about 15mins and went out and bought one a few weeks later (16gig wifi + smart cover job for £380 :)) and it's used everyday. Laptop doesn't get a look in. It just makes everything that you would use a laptop/desktop for so much easier.

My mates thought I was stupid buying one, then they had a go on mine and they all want one lol

Put simply, it's awesome. (apart from the lack of flash which in my mind is it's biggest downfall due to various websites still using it)

/sent from my work desktop wishing I was at home using the Ipad instead :)

1.8 Civic EX
try John Lewis if you have one near by. Thier site said out of stock, but I walked into the local store and they had a delievery of 70 odd the bloke said. Only 4 left when I got mine though lol but he did say they are always getting stock but it all sells out before they update thier site....

MkV Golf R32
I must admit it's quite hard to get the point across to non ipad owners. When the first one was out I didn't get one as I didn't "see the point".

I played on an ipad2 for about 15mins and went out and bought one a few weeks later (16gig wifi + smart cover job for £380 :)) and it's used everyday. Laptop doesn't get a look in. It just makes everything that you would use a laptop/desktop for so much easier.

My mates thought I was stupid buying one, then they had a go on mine and they all want one lol

Put simply, it's awesome. (apart from the lack of flash which in my mind is it's biggest downfall due to various websites still using it)

Can I ask, where did you ge the ipad from for so cheap with the cover too?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
It will with the AvplayerHD app

ok, but what about the .rar files, i use Winrar to open them, can you download stuff like that, sorry for the questions, but i am interested in getting one but need to see if all these stuff is compatible on the ipad before purchasing,

Agree on all points. The laptop hasn't been switched on, since update/registering the iPad. Even watched HIGNFY on iPlayer on it for the first time last night. Perfectly acceptable as it's a "listen over watch" program.

^ From tesco direct? Whenever I look on there they are outta stock, not like im in a rush or anything but always out of stock.

Sign up to the email. I did, came back in stock in three days and delivered in two.

Thanks for that revels, thats put me right off, as i download alot of stuff, and not beeing able to do that sucks,

I would disagree with your reasoning there. I use the laptop to download (legally) and watch stuff like House on that (soon to be linked by HDMI to the TV).

The iPad is not there for that task. It's there for eBay, BBC news, Cliosport/Detailing World, train tickets, iPlayer, looking for TVs etc (based on last night's useage).

Right I have the 1st gen iPad, my gf now wants one so she asked about buying mine. I'd upgrade to the iPad 2 so it'll probaly cost me around 2-300 euros in differences. Is it really worth the upgrade ? is speed and the front facing camera the only diference ?

Also how much is my iPad worth ? It's 16gb 3g, 9.5/10 condition wise.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
IMO, if you have an iPad 1 then no, it's not worth the upgrade. 200 notes for being slightly faster with a bit more memory (I won't bother mentioning the camera, it's guff) is not value for money. I have an iPad 1. I'm skipping the 2 and going for a 3 (or whatever is next, depending on it's spec of course).

All my opinion of course.

Went for it in the end.

Recieved it earlier, feels so much nicer in the hands. Definately feels faster. Cameras are s**t but had a laugh with photo booth.

Not sure if it was worth the upgrade yet but it's nice to have another new iPad.

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Well I agree, but you could argue why put the functionality there if it's not to be used?

I am finding mine a little bit annoying at times actually. It lacks some basic functionality sometimes. For example embedding youtube videos. It seems only the mobile version of youtube works in Safari, and the links don't work if you try and post them into a forum. Maybe there is a workaround? Also I have yet to find a way of successfully copying a Photobucket link into a forum. Again there may be an easy way but I didn't find it in the minute or so that I tried.

They are brilliant little devices, but IMO they do not offer the full browsing experience. Definitely not a laptop replacement. Then again they're not meant to be really. For 95% of normal browsing they are nicer to use than a full-on computer.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I am finding mine a little bit annoying at times actually. It lacks some basic functionality sometimes. For example embedding youtube videos. It seems only the mobile version of youtube works in Safari, and the links don't work if you try and post them into a forum. Maybe there is a workaround?

Use the built in YouTube app. Then go to Share Video and copy the link it gives you in the email it creates. You can copy the link and paste it where you want it. ;) Kinda a work around, a little bit.

Thanks. I've joined the trial but I'm unsure how this will affect the mobile vernon in iPad Safari. I'll check out this' desktop' feature a bit later.

1.8 Civic EX
just visit the actual youtube website instead of using the app/mobile version (desktop link at the bottom of the page on the mobile site) although due to lack of flash you will need to make sure you have the right clip as no way of watching the damn thing lol. (unless you do the html5 of course)

Also for photobucket, download the photobucket app. You can do it from the website but it's easier using the app.

Last edited:
Yeah I eventually found the desktop link at the bottom.

Oh I didn't realise there was a Photobucket app. That's quite cool. Danke.

Both problems solved.

Slow red one
So tempted to buy one tomo! I'll visit the apple shop as im planning on going in the city anyway, but undecided on buying it as it's rather a lot and hardly any cheaper on ebay. Plus got my MBP and iphone.

Skoda fabia Vrs
I love my iPad. I bought my 16gb wifi model off a friend. 6 months old and I payed £180 :)

Really love it but does get boring easily lol

RIP Dan
My 74 year old mother bought one last week and loves it.

Easiest way for her to access the net and she can't believe that she can read books on it, bless.

I fear for my inheritance when she starts buying shizzle.

Slow red one
£180! nice buy! if your bored then PM me;) Really would like it but not sure if i'd get full use out of it, but then again can always sell it on with not much loss.

Slow red one
Do you guys use your iPhones as tethering with the iPad and if so what deal you on? 3s cheapest option is £25 but I mainly use it around wifi anyway.