ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a new car that isnt covered by your current insurer..... Temp policy???

E36 M3. 182
Hi everyone. Im looking into getting a new car. My current policy isn't up for 2 months, and Im looking to have a look at and even possibly buy the new motor this week or next.
I need to keep the no claims i'm due from my current policy (this will be my 5th year) so am looking for temporary cover for the new car until I can transfer my no claims over from that.
In the past, I have just transferred my current policy over to the new car, however I am with greenlight, who don't cover the car Im after so this isn't an option.

Does anyone know any companies that can provide a 2 month policy? I think it would be the best option, should it be possible...

As always, any advice/ informed opinion welcome.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Quite strange they won't cover you. What's the special car?

E36 M3. 182

That made me chuckle too....

Im with Greenlight at the minute, and as great as they've been with their quotes for me over the last 3 years, they have a list of cars they don't cover.... E36 BMW's are among them...

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
That made me chuckle too....

Im with Greenlight at the minute, and as great as they've been with their quotes for me over the last 3 years, they have a list of cars they don't cover.... E36 BMW's are among them...

Might not be possible, but could you not buy and just keep it in storage/driveway/garage for 2 months ?

Sam!

Mercedes
I had that problem with Greenlight, they wont insure my new car because its too expensive apparently there upper limit is 28k

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Providing it isn't modified (and you're over 21) you'll be able to get temp cover.

E36 M3. 182
Might not be possible, but could you not buy and just keep it in storage/driveway/garage for 2 months ?

Sam!

Afraid not, Ive no storage, or proper driveway to keep a SORN'ed car on... And Aviva don't do short term cover for M3's...... Anyone got an idea of how much it costs to rent a unit for a couple of months??!!

Last edited:

George89

ClioSport Club Member
  F30 335D/RB 182 Cup
Afraid not, Ive no storage, or proper driveway to keep a SORN'ed car on... And Aviva don't do short term cover for M3's...... Anyone got an idea of how much it costs to rent a unit for a couple of months??!!

Hey, how did it go for you?

I am in a similiar position to the point my current insurer will not insure any car I wish to own except extremely old group 1 insurance cars! They wont even quote me for my current car, that my current policy is for? The strange world of car insurance baffles me at times.