ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So today was the day that I collected the cup from EFI Parts. I had a brew and a chat with scoff then it was time to head back home and take the cup for mot!
It's f**king hilarious - no other words can describe it! Lol! Even the slightest bit of provocation of the pedal and it's off and gone. Even managed 32-33mpg sitting at 70mph!

It passed its mot with flying colours and is now tucked away in the garage. There's a few jobs that I want to sort out now before it gets used in anger, but these are only minor jobs. It can sit in the garage now for a few days until I can be arsed.

Here's the all important power & torque graph:
image.jpeg

More to come.

Yeah I'm very pleased with the end result tbh. It's done more that I anticipated as well tbh - not bad considering I started out 'just wanting 200hp'. Lol

:up:

Thanks mate.
What a load of bollox, you told me several times you would never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never. never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never. never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never build a modified engine for the Clio.

Steve

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
What a load of bollox, you told me several times you would never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never. never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never. never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never build a modified engine for the Clio.

Steve
Lol! I'll be calling you shortly anyway. :up:

Clio 200
Nice curves that, almost identical to mine from 3500-6500, but mine the torque takes a nose dive at 6500 and so the power flatlines, whereas yours keeps torque to a much gentler taper down and power therefore keeps on for another 1000rpm. If I was keeping forged pistons I'd def slap a set of those cams in now based on this, looks a really spot on engine tbh.
Still love to see a decent length set of bodies on there though, you gotta be curious mate just a little bit!!! :D

Clio 200
I will wonder for you then! Yeah I can well imagine, essentially identical curves to mine (mine peeks 182fltb from 5000-5300) all the way to 6500 when yours just carries on relentlessly. Coupled with the light mk2 shell you have, batshit and legitimately so.
But for me the noise is just so integral to the package, why I love NA so much. I'd trade many horses for noise if I had to. But a properly developed inlet system would boost you all over the curve so it's win-win :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I will wonder for you then! Yeah I can well imagine, essentially identical curves to mine (mine peeks 182fltb from 5000-5300) all the way to 6500 when yours just carries on relentlessly. Coupled with the light mk2 shell you have, batshit and legitimately so.
But for me the noise is just so integral to the package, why I love NA so much. I'd trade many horses for noise if I had to. But a properly developed inlet system would boost you all over the curve so it's win-win :smile:
Lol you'll have to mate because unless there was a proper set of itbs available to suit the 197 head (I'm talking 48's not poxy 45's) it's staying on the standard inlet and maxi evo airbox.
Yeah it definitely goes well enough with my car being so light, and tbf, there's a decent amount of induction noise from the carbon airbox.

Out of interest, what oil temps are you seeing on yours? And what size cooler do you have? I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade to the next size up laminova (redesign of the coolant pipes needed - yuck cba!) or change to a air to oil cooler. The bonus of that is I can retain the laminova to cool the gearbox oil. Decisions decisions.

Clio 200
Yeah there is, speak to Mitch at Proline about a manifold mate:
proline-itb1.jpg

proline-itb2.jpg

48mm SF's on a mk3

I'm not using an oil cooler, doesn't need it tbh. 111deg was the peak I saw on track, decent Millers CFS NT will laugh at that all day long, I change it every 6k.

Anyway, turns out my engine failed due to det, chunks of forged piston missing! Head scrap, Supertechs scrap...aka £5k forged block trashed and car going stock and being sold. Lots of good s**t sellable like R3 mani and ecu etc, Arrows should be ok I hope. But even so fml :cry:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah there is, speak to Mitch at Proline about a manifold mate:
proline-itb1.jpg

proline-itb2.jpg

48mm SF's on a mk3

I'm not using an oil cooler, doesn't need it tbh. 111deg was the peak I saw on track, decent Millers CFS NT will laugh at that all day long, I change it every 6k.

Anyway, turns out my engine failed due to det, chunks of forged piston missing! Head scrap, Supertechs scrap...aka £5k forged block trashed and car going stock and being sold. Lots of good s**t sellable like R3 mani and ecu etc, Arrows should be ok I hope. But even so fml :cry:
It just looks so busy mate with the itb setup. Lol! I don't think I'll ever be swayed tbh.

Ah right ok fair enough. The general thought on mine is that the oil pressure is so high (100psi @ 4K+ rpm) that it's being pumped through the cooler too quick so it's not effectively removing the heat from the oil basically. Got to drop the op down and see what occurs then. I've seen 108-109 degrees at 5k rpm on the road. Lol!!

Oh dear! That's a proper shame mate. How much for the arrows? I may be interested in taking them off your hands. Pm me if you prefer.

Clio 200
Too busy, meh I've never heard that one! Bonnets are meant to stay shut anyway you know ;)

For 5k on the road yeah that's a bloody high temp really, very odd. Guess the pressure could be sending too quickly through the cooler, however.... I wouldn't expect oil to get anywhere near that without a cooler anyway. My car sat on the motorway (would be about 4.5k @ 70mph in 6th, quite short I went :D) and from memory it was about 85deg. Unless the high pressure is so high it's heating the oil?! - That might be utter BS though!

Yep final straw for me tbh, I've been through it with this car and I've spent a huge amount to be left with not a lot to show. I'll make decisions on prices and bits when the car is working and I can try and calculate what I want out if it etc. But I'll give you first refusal though. All a bit raw atm as only found out earlier the engines mullered so not had time to really think.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Too busy, meh I've never heard that one! Bonnets are meant to stay shut anyway you know :wink:

For 5k on the road yeah that's a bloody high temp really, very odd. Guess the pressure could be sending too quickly through the cooler, however.... I wouldn't expect oil to get anywhere near that without a cooler anyway. My car sat on the motorway (would be about 4.5k @ 70mph in 6th, quite short I went :smiley:) and from memory it was about 85deg. Unless the high pressure is so high it's heating the oil?! - That might be utter BS though!

Yep final straw for me tbh, I've been through it with this car and I've spent a huge amount to be left with not a lot to show. I'll make decisions on prices and bits when the car is working and I can try and calculate what I want out if it etc. But I'll give you first refusal though. All a bit raw atm as only found out earlier the engines mullered so not had time to really think.
Mine opens itself because it's that flimsy! Lol!

No mate, you've also hit the nail on the head with what others are thinking too regards the oil pressure heating the oil at the same time. This is the area that will be addressed before I blow over £250 on the larger laminova or an air to oil cooler.

Yeah I can imagine mate. I'd be pretty devastated if it was my engine tbh. Yeah keep me posted buddy.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Is the new oil pump drive gear the standard size?
Just wondering if you are creating too higher flow rate, what's custom about the pump?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Is the new oil pump drive gear the standard size?
Just wondering if you are creating too higher flow rate, what's custom about the pump?
As in the chain drive gear mate? If so, yes it is. The pump has been unshrouded and all the tolerances closed up, along with a few other choice bits of work. The prv spring has been shimmed to up the pressure, but tbh, the 197 head has far superior oil flow characteristics in comparison to the 1*2, so I don't think the shims are required.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be tempted to take a shim out of the relief valve, was the oil pressure at its max at 100 psi @ 4K or was it still rising

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'd be tempted to take a shim out of the relief valve, was the oil pressure at its max at 100 psi @ 4K or was it still rising
That's going to be a job for this week mate. Dropping the oil and the sump so I can gain access.
I'm pretty sure that the 100psi was the peak tbh, but until I venture further up the rpm range again and sit watching the op, I can't say for definite.
Must say, your laminova is quite small. The one on my F2 car is pretty big!
Yeah it's the smallest one they do mate that I've got. I can upgrade to the next size up, but myself and a few others are pretty much convinced now that it's the high oil pressure that's generating the problem.

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Sorry to hi-Jack Mark but any pictures of the Modine set up anywhere? Easy enough to install?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
A few small bits to update the thread with!

I've been addressing a couple of small issues the past week or 2 since getting the car back from efi.
The first on the agenda was the oil pressure. I was seeing over 100psi when the engine was higher up the rpm range. The solution? Drop the sump off and take some of the shims out of the prv. Dropped the sump off (yeah right - just like that eh!!) and removed one of the shims. Took it out for a blast on Friday and found out it needed the 2nd shim removing! The 2nd shim is now out so that'll be the oil pressure sorted.
Next up was the oil temperature. I saw a maximum of 110 degrees on Friday, and I wasn't even giving it abuse! This has been sorted with the purchase of a larger laminova cooler. That's arriving on Friday, so I'll fit it over the weekend I think.

The under shield is now fitted (even though it'll be coming off for the laminova fitting), so I'll see if that helps out with box cooling, although tbh, I'm 99% certain now that I'm fitting the smaller laminova in one of the coolant lines and using that to cool the 'box.
image.jpeg
After a chat with @Dan@SJM this morning, I think I'll be fitting one of the 197 thermostats as well. The 197/200's run them, so it makes sense really. I don't have any cooling issues, but with the extra load that the laminovas will add, it's a worthwhile change.

Nurburgring is booked as well. :cool: After the drive I had in it on Friday, I now know that it's a sub 8:15 car as well. Trust me, it's a f**king monumentally hilarious Clio to drive now! Providing I can get a clear lap in, the time is gonna be good.

More to come. :up: