ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
The bottom of the pad has .5mm - 1mm clearance on the bell itself, so it's a very close fitting brake setup. Needless to say, I love custom stuff!!
With that small amount of clearance will there not be issues when you get heat into the brakes. On my previous brake setup with 406 brembos (awful brakes btw) I only had half a mm between the disc and the caliper and as soon as you got a lot of heat into the brakes the expansion would cause metal grinding sounds, you would also have to keep driving to get them to cool down enough that the grinding stopped. Also due to using brackets will there not be a tiny amount of flex when stepping on the brakes heavily, enough for the caliper to touch the bell.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
With that small amount of clearance will there not be issues when you get heat into the brakes. On my previous brake setup with 406 brembos (awful brakes btw) I only had half a mm between the disc and the caliper and as soon as you got a lot of heat into the brakes the expansion would cause metal grinding sounds, you would also have to keep driving to get them to cool down enough that the grinding stopped. Also due to using brackets will there not be a tiny amount of flex when stepping on the brakes heavily, enough for the caliper to touch the bell.
Between the pad material and the bell there's 3mm+ and now I've measured correctly 1mm+ between the pad backing and the bell. The measurement I stated in the post you've quoted wasn't very clear for where I was meaning tbf.
To gain more clearance I've got some .5mm shims if required and I can also grind off the overhang on the pad backing material, so I'm not to worried tbh. Flex isn't something I'm too concerned with either as they're a radial mount. The caliper has plenty of clearance as well.

If it was lug mount, I'd be worried!

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Very nice ! I wanna be like mike , what do I need to do to get a brake setup like that? Bell where from and where to get rotors with j hook?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Very nice ! I wanna be like mike , what do I need to do to get a brake setup like that? Bell where from and where to get rotors with j hook?
You need to do some very good measuring for a start and if I were you go with 300mm discs. Then it's a case of getting in contact with Martin at Reyland.
Be aware though, once you've given him the dimensions and he's made them, they're yours. If they're wrong because you measured it wrong, they're still yours.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Checked the superleggeras for clearance this afternoon. Needless to say, it's close!!
image.jpeg
I can't fit the steel ruler between the spokes and the the caliper all the way down, but the caliper does clear the spokes and the wheel turns.
Happy. Days.

Not sure how brave I'm feeling though yet, so I may order some 5mm spacers for if my balls shrink. Lol!

More to come!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Small update!

Made this for the oil pressure/temperature gauge.
image.jpeg
Not fully sold on it atm tbh so not sure if I'll bother with it in that position. I'll look better when the cars outside.

Oh and this happened.

That my friends is how it's done. Don't be going getting carried away though now!! That was a short run to check that it would actually fire and run. It's currently running on a 172 cup cal file in the gen90, so I definitely don't want it running for long until I've had a chance to put a probe up its arse.

More to come. :imp:

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
Small update!

Made this for the oil pressure/temperature gauge. View attachment 149965Not fully sold on it atm tbh so not sure if I'll bother with it in that position. I'll look better when the cars outside.

Oh and this happened.

That my friends is how it's done. Don't be going getting carried away though now!! That was a short run to check that it would actually fire and run. It's currently running on a 172 cup cal file in the gen90, so I definitely don't want it running for long until I've had a chance to put a probe up its arse.

More to come. :imp:

Fantastic :up:

Just need an uprated rear brake setup to slap on, fill up with brake fluid and it's ready to roll out of the garage!! Better get my finger out!! 😊

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Good work, what's the cam timing set to?
Standard! Lol! She's a bit lumpy, although I doubt it would run on a standard cup map. That's a Grp n cam timing cal file that's currently on the ecu.

Fantastic :up:

Just need an uprated rear brake setup to slap on, fill up with brake fluid and it's ready to roll out of the garage!! Better get my finger out!! 😊
Cheers mate!

Yes. Yes you do. :cool:

Clio 172
Great work and looking forward to seeing how this performs. Love your attention to detail with everything, I'm the same.......... In my head. It's nice to see someone who is properly into engineering have ago at something different.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Great work and looking forward to seeing how this performs. Love your attention to detail with everything, I'm the same.......... In my head. It's nice to see someone who is properly into engineering have ago at something different.
Thanks mate! If it performs as well as it sounds, it'll be the b****cks! Lol! I don't do standard. Ask @not normal dan! Lol

Thought you were doing GRP N timing? Is this just a stop gap?
No mate the original engine was just a stop gap with Grp n cam timing. This one definitely doesn't need that. Lol

Clio 172
I can see you don't do standard lol. Hopefully have my car sorted soon with @not normal dan 's help. As I'm deciding not to break it........... This week lol. So once its on the road and its OK with you, mite see if I can pop up with Dan and see this, hopefully give me some inspiration to keep mine Lol.

Once it's built is it going to be top end of what it's capable of, or is there plenty of scope for more power?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm gonna have a guess I reckon it'll make a genuine 220+ hp, come on Mark whats your guesstimate?
Well @BIGASH is reckoning it'll also do a solid 220+ and I think he said it'll be 22# something. In theory, it should do the 230 that gets quoted, but I don't think it will get there personally. Be nice if it did, but I'm sceptical. Anything over 200 and I'll be happy as that's all I originally set out to want! Many £££'s later sees me at this point. 🙈

I can see you don't do standard lol. Hopefully have my car sorted soon with @not normal dan 's help. As I'm deciding not to break it........... This week lol. So once its on the road and its OK with you, mite see if I can pop up with Dan and see this, hopefully give me some inspiration to keep mine Lol.

Once it's built is it going to be top end of what it's capable of, or is there plenty of scope for more power?
Ask him about the Astra! 174mph capability from a standard looking gsi. Lol!

Yeah no worries at all mate. In its current spec engine wise this is its ceiling. To go further means a change of pistons, rods, cams, crank and top end needs swapping over to solid lifters. Do that and it should see 250, but it ain't happening mate.

Well not this year. 🙈

Clio 172
I'll ask him next time I see him, 174mph sounds crazy.

So without sounding dumb, where is the power coming from? As its not forged its not revs, without itb's its not increased air/fuel. Is it just a good balance of both?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'll ask him next time I see him, 174mph sounds crazy.

So without sounding dumb, where is the power coming from? As its not forged its not revs, without itb's its not increased air/fuel. Is it just a good balance of both?
Yeah it definitely caught the attention of a few Ferrari/Porsche drivers! Out dragging them was pure comedy. The 174 was on the limiter as well in 5th gear. Flol

It is forged mate. My compression ratio is 12.?:1. No one needs to know the exact spec on that. :wink:
Maximum power should be done at 7800rpm as well, so it's quite highly strung. The power will be coming from the high comp, knobbly cams and pms exhaust manifold. Oh and a clever map! Let's not forget that!

Clio 172
Must of forgotten about the forged bit, I have the thread lol. So should still be very drivable at normal speeds, that's impressive. Back when I had a life before kids, I was going to build a high comp i4 ford engine, and couldn't get over 200-20 bhp without running a wacky cam. Plus needing billet trigger wheel making, solid lifter ect to cope with the revs, cost would of got out of hand.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Must of forgotten about the forged bit, I have the thread lol. So should still be very drivable at normal speeds, that's impressive. Back when I had a life before kids, I was going to build a high comp i4 ford engine, and couldn't get over 200-20 bhp without running a wacky cam. Plus needing billet trigger wheel making, solid lifter ect to cope with the revs, cost would of got out of hand.
Ha ha! There's a lot of pages now mate, so it's easy to miss/forget stuff! That's the theory yeah. All it's got to do is get me to the 'Ring and set a good laptime (8:31 in tf to beat). If it doesn't it'll be split for parts.
My Astra engine was a forged low comp build with a solid lifter top end. Oh and 2bar of boost to help the job along. Custom inlet and exhaust manifold, custom loom, custom..........er, pretty much everything! That was a good way to piss 8-10k up the wall. Never. Again.

Clio 172
Yeah the build I was going to do had hit £6k without any mapping, and that was with a guy off the forum doing cheap machine work. Sometimes I wish I had and other glad I didn't, ended up looking at a twin remote turbo set up, but that was a head ache just to draw up lol.

Anyway I'll stop boring you with my dreams and let you carrybon with your reality. Keep the updates coming as its always a good read.

Clio 172
Lol at the if it doesn't do a better lap time at the ring your going to break it, sounds like a planned tantrum haha

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Lol at the if it doesn't do a better lap time at the ring your going to break it, sounds like a planned tantrum haha
Lol! Well if it can do 8:31 on kw's, standard power and no diff, it's got to at least redeem itself this time around as it's got asts, more power and a diff! I know I'm capable so the car needs to keep its side of the deal!!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Well that took some time... reading the full thread (not the build, that seemed pretty quick compared to mine). Some lovely ideas and work in here mate, and fair play for not rushing a good thing. Messaged you with regards to shifter.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well that took some time... reading the full thread (not the build, that seemed pretty quick compared to mine). Some lovely ideas and work in here mate, and fair play for not rushing a good thing. Messaged you with regards to shifter.
Thanks for taking the time to read it all mate! No point rushing as it just means redoing things you're not happy with at a later date, or missing stuff/making mistakes.

I'll reply later to the pm mate! Thanks for that. :up: