ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

black mk1 16v

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
old engine needed to be strip today so i can paint the gearbox and get rid of the valver lump

engine started like this today
STA60158.jpg

firstly split the gearbox
STA60159.jpg

then locked the crank and removed the clutch and flywheel.
the clutch looked in good nick but on the way out it was very thin. i have a feeling it was the still the original
STA60161.jpg

does this look like the original

i then went to remove the pully at the bottom. all was going well till bang
STA60162.jpg

STA60164.jpg

managed to snap the reducer. great
so after a bit of head scratching i remember i had a 19mm 1/2 iinch socket in my new tools. it made short work off it.

i then lay the engine on its side so i could undo the head bolts.
i firstly tried with my ratchet. the headbolts weren't having any of it and i couldn't use my big wrench because i had snapped the reducer earlier. so out came the big pole. it soon made short work of the headbolts

STA60165.jpg

STA60167.jpg

the head was the finally off
STA60168.jpg

STA60169.jpg

I then set about removing the sump. all was going well to the last two bolts decide to round off. f**king torx bolts.
the were despatched using the dremel. i forgot to take pic of them but i had to truly muller the bolts to get of. it seem to take forever. then the sump popped off freely

STA60170.jpg

i then packed up the tool and attempted to tidy up but couldn't be arsed so left it all over the garage lol

1.4 phase 1
defeintly gonna have a sit down a properly read this project looks great.

puts me in the mood to start my track car even more.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
more work was done on the lump today to get it ready to go into bay. the lump was suppose to go in on Sunday but Renault in there ultimate wisdom can't count to 6 and only gave me 5 clutch bolts instead of the 6 i paid for and ordered.
I was able to get the clutch bolt till today, so till i had this no more progress could be made.

any i finished building up the lump

new valeo clutch(thanks maynard)

STA60183.jpg

put the exhaust manifold on

STA60184.jpg

STA60185.jpg

fitted the aux get up

STA60186.jpg

then tensioned it up. is the belt tensioned enough

STA60187.jpg

STA60188.jpg

the tensioner is full done so think i might need to swap to a slightly smaller belt because this one will eventually stretch a little and not be fully tensioned

put bottom inlet on

STA60189.jpg

reassembled the gearbox

STA60190.jpg

new willy mount and 4th mount

STA60191.jpg

then reattached the gearbox to the lump

STA60192.jpg

i also need to reattach the dogbone match bracket. i forgot earlier :oops:

the popped the 172 starter on. should have cleaned it up a bit but couldn't be arsed

STA60193.jpg

all being well the lump should go into tomorrow when i get back to from work :D

Last edited:

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
does locking the crank just make it easier removing the clutch etc then ?

it was so that the flywheel/crank wouldn't spin whilst i put force on them to do the bolts. others just jam the flywheel with a screw drive(but pikey)

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
the engine is now in i forgot to take any pics of it going in. my dad was helping wasn't in the mood for *****ing around taking photos. all when in relativity easy just tuck a thinking and having to remove the alternator for it fit in, most probably could have got it with it on but couldn't think of how at the time.

and now seeing it in the bay I'm 99% sure i will not have to modify my steering rack to run the pas will just need new line for every line bah the return to tank.

Does go in with the alternator on, but it does get in the way - far easier to remove it!

Well done anyway, you beat Adam! :star:

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
Does go in with the alternator on, but it does get in the way - far easier to remove it!

i think if had removed the manifold it would have gone in easily but didn't know how much space i would have had to put it back with the engine in.
so alternator looked easier to replace at time.

Well done anyway, you beat Adam! :star:

Adam did rebuild his head and have all that s**t with the bottom ends.

also it would have been in last weekend aswell if renault hadn't forgot to include that clutch bolt.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
pic of the engine in

STA60199.jpg

and ones just for Matteh

STA60200.jpg

STA60201.jpg

loads of room :p will just need a line that has a 90 on the end like you said, just like you said

STA60202.jpg

STA60203.jpg

STA60204.jpg

as you can see i need to adjust the return line as it is rubbing on the manifold flange.
and one of the original green lines fits but is a bit close in some places but will see how it goes for now. i will most probably replace it to be on the safe side.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
oh!

now that is intriguing... wonder why mine isn't like that

could be a phase thing or mine had a new rack at some time. do know really

i think aswell that the other green line might fit also, going to give it a go tomorrow and see if it does fit. if it does only need to replace the main line then

Good work, getting there!

it is slowly but hopping it to be done within a month, could get it done a lot faster but little low on cash till payday, lol

'92 172, Lotus Elise
looking at my pictures, it seems i have similar space to you

but perhaps if you just run a pipe straight upwards it ends up too close to the manifold

either way, it's tight!

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
but perhaps if you just run a pipe straight upwards it ends up too close to the manifold

either way, it's tight!

like you say running a line straight up will most probably foul

if the original line doesn't fit I'll spec a line with a 90 end so to run away from the manifold before going up to the bulk head and back to the column

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
did a little more on the car today in between it chucking it down.

put the passenger drive shaft on

P030510_152701.jpg

couldn't put the drivers side on because i need to replace the inner cv boot

I then put the 172 rad in.

I couldn't get it to fit fully because its to big which i was expecting. but wouldn't locate properly even if in place in at the passenger side and rest resting on the subframe at a angle. So I just rested it on the subframe

P030510_1521.jpg

P030510_152101.jpg

the cross member was the put back on and the radiator was cable tied to it and the subframe. it is a bit pikey but it'll do

P030510_152702.jpg

the water pipes were put on so i could measure up for the adaptors to the heater matrix and what size jubilee clips i need for all the pipes.

P030510_1528.jpg

and then start of my coil pack relocation. it'll need a lot of work but should do the job
P030510_152801.jpg

the bonnet and bumper was put back on and it actually looked like a car for the first time in ages. it also make remember how much i love the look of a valver front end, so aggressive and purposeful

P030510_1543.jpg

Try and get the bracket a lot lower, im re-doing mine as it means you have to turn the TPS upside down which isnt ideal as it fouls on the bonnet :(

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
Try and get the bracket a lot lower, im re-doing mine as it means you have to turn the TPS upside down which isnt ideal as it fouls on the bonnet :(

Thats what i thought it would be a bit high. i'll have another scan round the garage and see if there is any more suitable brackets to start with.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
little addition to the car. just got to fit it.

P090510_1600.jpg

thanks brealbags for dropping this off for me

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
my custom line have just arrived for the pas and like a kid on christmas, i ripped them open and set about fitting them.

all went in with relative ease and both the lines for the rack and the new line for rack to pump.

any here the pics of them in

P210510_1222.jpg

P210510_1223.jpg

P210510_122301.jpg

P210510_122302.jpg

P210510_122303.jpg

sorry for the rubbish pics, like said early i put them on quickly and only had phone on me

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
Its all coming along nicely now mate, started mine lastnight so chop chop lol
who will finish first hmmm ;)

its coming together, still got a few major things to sort out that is really holding it up. but hopefully they'll should be sorted soon.

glad it started for you, been a long time coming especially with all the problems you've had.

also does anyone know of a way to protect the braided lines so that they don't rub threw anything/less prone to

theres gonna me more 172 valvers than normal valvers in the north west soon haha

looking good, by far the best colour for a valver too!

BMW M5 & E36
also does anyone know of a way to protect the braided lines so that they don't rub threw anything/less prone to

When i used to have my oil cooler fitted, I got some rubber pipe of slightly larger ID, cut it open and wrapped it around. Just where it might touch other stuff.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
theres gonna me more 172 valvers than normal valvers in the north west soon haha

looking good, by far the best colour for a valver too!

there are starting to mount up, up here.

black ftw

When i used to have my oil cooler fitted, I got some rubber pipe of slightly larger ID, cut it open and wrapped it around. Just where it might touch other stuff.

thanks i'll sort that out in during the week

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
where were your hoses from?

interesting that they do fit!

that hose solutions that you suggested.

one line is to the spec you told me, and other is a varation of the spec you said.

if you want the spec of them pm me

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
whilst checking my hose the other day i noticed one had split in a place that wasn't repairable. so my plans of finishing the connections so i could run with a heater were put on hold till i sort new hoses out(may get some fancy ones).

so for now so i can get the car back on the road a bodge was needed. out came the plumbing gear.

P030610_1613.jpg

then put on the hose's

P030610_1751.jpg

P030610_175101.jpg

hopefully they'll do the job as temp fix till i find another solution.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
yeah the hose i bought had split in a place that was not repairable at all. i did want to have a working heater but s**t happens, i'll just have to fix them before winter.