ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black 172 Track Car Project

cheers Howell, i do try or else it would bug me!

was having a look back on some of the earlier photos, i thought i was nearly finished! :S

i forgot, Got mother bear working on the project tonight, she knocked me up some door pulls for the interior!

IMG_0287.gif

And one of the loom with the rest of the conduit on and soldered back together, will check see if it works before i put the heatshrink over it

IMG_0288.gif

Another quick one, finally made a bracket today for the isolator switch. will trial fit it tomorrow and then give it a bit of paint

IMG_0290.gif

ew lad, hows it going? I ryan welded it in for me, he was a little hung over and i was nervous but he did a cracking job! ;p

clio 172 sport
Not bad mate, not done anything to the Clio for ages been ploddin on with me mk1 caddy lately, haven't seen our Ryan for ages, and as for being hungover that doesn't surprise me in the slightest lol

Evo 5 RS
You've got a nack for making things very tidy there :) Car looks great... did you get all your carbon goodies from streamline??

nige - you finally get a caddy? you been wanting one for ages

Silent_scone - cheers fella, no carbon fibre is a spare bit i bought from performance trim and i have just been chopping it up. horrible stuff though, makes me itchy as f**k! lol

finally come to a problem, cant get the car running

Plugged all the harness back in today, connected battery up and the car wont turn over.

I checked the voltage of the battery, just below 12v so i tried a different one.

Immobiliser light goes out and when i turn they key some times the solenoid on the starter will click and then sometimes it will give a pathetic attempt to turnover! :mad:

But never like you expect when a car is trying to start.

Ive checked all the earths, all the voltages on the starter, alternator etc but still not playing.

Ive cleaned all the relays under the bonnet and tapped the starter motor with a hammer to persuade it but still no different.

any suggestions? really stumped!

340i
I had this problem when I refitted my gearbox... It turned out to be a loose power cable and loose earth cable.

The car didn't start for the first 3 times, then turned over with a lot of solenoid clicking!

Then turned over really slowly (Like the ignition was really retarded) and finally spluttered into life

TDC sensor?

Earths?

Power cable from alternator?

Battery fully charged?

if it was a ph-1 I would say the fuel cut off switch, but the ph-2 doesn't use this!?

Last edited:
I had this problem when I refitted my gearbox... It turned out to be a loose power cable and loose earth cable.

The car didn't start for the first 3 times, then turned over with a lot of solenoid clicking!

Then turned over really slowly (Like the ignition was really retarded) and finally spluttered into life

TDC sensor?

Earths?

Power cable from alternator?

Battery fully charged?

if it was a ph-1 I would say the fuel cut off switch, but the ph-2 doesn't use this!?

cheers fella, ill give that a look over next weekend, right pain in the arse. had loads planned for today!

Evo 5 RS
what a ball ache...always the way though. Doesn't matter if they're fine tooth combed for a minor hiccup the moment they sit for a few weeks they get mechanical aids

PH1 loads of boost!
Just read this Nikki lad, looks canny! Can't help you with getting it started though lol :D

Never knew you could do such a neat job of stuff!

now then Si, got it sorted now. had another electrical fault this weekend resulting in all the dash having to come out! all sorted now though!

Good thread, nice project too :)
Its given me inspiration for when my 172 gets old :)

Keep up the good work, I know how hard projects can be, with all the head scratching with wiring; I rebuilt my old honda cbr900rr fireblade which was a pain in the ass lol

well after problems and more problems, the car is nearly done!

finally got the side lights working after ripping the whole dash and loom out.... again. then once that was sorted the window wipers stopped working!!

I have my engine mounts to fit and new exhaust mounts to fit which i will do tomorrow

waiting for my spoiler to come back from the painters and the dash vents to come from flocking.

then i need to order some new discs and pads and then it is going to a fella who works for renault who is going to change the timing belt and give it a full check over and an MOT and then she is done....... for now

Sick of looking at the car now just want to give it a go as i have dragged this out far too long!

here is two quick pics (terrible quality)

then i will get a load when she is finished (better quality :p)

IMG_0340.gif

IMG_0345.gif

PH1 loads of boost!
We had to fit one in the yellow one. Early mornings on a track with sun in your eyes is a right PITA!!

How low are the seats compared to standard height?

just right for me coz im a short ass, wont be able to see over the dash! a lot of people make custom frames though so there on the floor pretty much.

you can come sit in it with me and make pretendy car noises if you like? its what my weekends have consisted of for the last 18 months!

PH1 loads of boost!
LOLz!!
I'm not keen when they're really low to the floor, prefer them being a bit higherer so you can see the track a bit betterer.

right then, whilst waiting on the final bits to come back from the painters and the flocking company i didnt really have anything to

so replaced the number plate light and got a new plug from a breakers yard as it had totally corroded away! no pics though.

fitted the engine mounts and give the engine bay a splash of colour and a tidy up. didnt go crazy with this. wasliterally just the top bits as it will just end up getting dirty

IMG_0375.gif

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0379.gif

cant wait till the end of the month now

First track day looks like it will be croft in May so need to give the car a good shakedown to see what falls of first!

clio 182 cup
mate sick doing the same this now on a clio 182 you dont have any stuff for sale and did you change the fuel tank can you email me be good to have an idea on stuff i need to get

thanks

Right then, plenty of pics! gave it a quick wash, desperate for a proper clean and a good hoover. waiting for pay day now for tax, mot and unsurance. cant wait!

ordering some discs and pads tonight, going to get some brembo HC's and DS2500's

anybody know the best place? was gonna give BTM a ring

Also anyone know if it is worth uprating the rear brakes as i know they dont do much compared to the front?

DSC02464.gif

DSC02467.jpg

DSC02468.gif

DSC02469.gif

DSC02472.gif

DSC02475.jpg

DSC02477.jpg

DSC02479.gif

DSC02483.jpg

DSC02489.jpg

DSC02492.gif

DSC02496.jpg