ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bigger Turbo

2008 Clio 1.2 TCE
i was thinking about putting a larger turbo onto my 1.2 Turbo, any ideas on which turbo would be a good idea.

i was thinkin maybe the meganne sport turbo or old renault 5 turbo.

ideas or if im being completely stupid about putting a larger turbo on such a small engine?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
The R5 used a small Garrett T2. what you have to think of is the amount of exhaust gases that the engine is going to put out to spin the turbo up. Although yours is a 1.2 and the R5 is a 1.4, it's only an 8v and doesn't rev as high as your 16v that I would imaging revs upto 7k?

Megane maybe a bit to big coming from a 2.0ltr, but might mean your's will spool up quicker. BUT, more importantly, is the fitment of the turbo to the manifold. they're not all the same so if it's different you'll need to do quite a bit of customising.

Best bet is to find out the spec of your original turbo is, manufacturer and fitment and work from there.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Just another note, bigger turbo doesn't necessarily mean more power. It's more of a case of more boost pressure added with correctly set up fueling to match = more power. A bigger turbo is likely to produce more lag at low revs and more power at higher revs, possibly out of your useable rev range.

I don't know the restirctions on the TCE engine, or whether boost is electronically controlled, but a remap might be able to up the boost pressure and fuelling to give more power.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Turbo engines run better the cooler the air is entering the engine, so maybe look into a better intercooler for it, although I've not seen one advertised. A larger downpipe from the turbo into the exhaust generally helps, but don't go too big as the turbo needs a certain amount of back pressure to work at it's best. I'm sure a few people have already chipped their TCE's and seen good gains so have a search.

2008 Clio 1.2 TCE
i haven't seen one advertised either. i was almost starting to think it didnt have an intercooler as it was such a small turbo, but it must have one.
would a universal intercooler do the job if i couldnt get one particulary for the 1.2 tce?

where could i get a larger downpipe from? or are these easily enough found?

also i was thinking an exhuast system for it? would this be advisable to get custom made or are their generally ones that can be bout for my car?

cheers

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Downpipe would probably have to be custom made as the engine is still fairly new, same for the exhaust I'd imagine.

A universal IC will fit as long as you can sort out the pipework to fit, can always make them fit with a bit of work. Follow the boost hose from the turbo to the inlet throttle body, the IC will be somewhere between the 2 if it has one, it might not if it runs low boost as intake temps won't be very high. The basic low power DCi's don't run IC's

Ian

Focus TDCi
Got to be careful when changing a turbo. You can easily choose a bigger one that will produce less power than the one you currently have - you need to keep the point of operation at the optimal position of the Mass Flowrate (or function of) vs. Pressure graphs. As mentioned above unless you know someone who can advise on the choice of turbo you would be better trying to cool the exhaust gases with an intercooler.

Sorry I can't provide any new information, but I just wanted to back up what Dave has said so far.

2008 Clio 1.2 TCE
Downpipe would probably have to be custom made as the engine is still fairly new, same for the exhaust I'd imagine.

A universal IC will fit as long as you can sort out the pipework to fit, can always make them fit with a bit of work. Follow the boost hose from the turbo to the inlet throttle body, the IC will be somewhere between the 2 if it has one, it might not if it runs low boost as intake temps won't be very high. The basic low power DCi's don't run IC's

there is a lot of universal IC's about. even some that can hold upto 500bhp, i no this is needless for my car lol

what would a repectable maximum be?

2008 Clio 1.2 TCE
Got to be careful when changing a turbo. You can easily choose a bigger one that will produce less power than the one you currently have - you need to keep the point of operation at the optimal position of the Mass Flowrate (or function of) vs. Pressure graphs. As mentioned above unless you know someone who can advise on the choice of turbo you would be better trying to cool the exhaust gases with an intercooler.

Sorry I can't provide any new information, but I just wanted to back up what Dave has said so far.

no probs mate. cheers for the help

Golf GT & A4 Avant
there is a lot of universal IC's about. even some that can hold upto 500bhp, i no this is needless for my car lol

what would a repectable maximum be?

Max rated Bhp isn't going to be a factor in this sense, you need to look more into the size of the IC, will you be able to fit it into the bumper and still attach the boost pipes to it.

Also try and find an IC that has the same diameter inlet/ outlet pipes as your turbo and throttle body so you can keep all your hoses the same size and not worry about the flow rate.

Forge and Pace used to do a good range of universal IC's

ValverInBits
first thing is first, you are going to need to know what flange is on the manifold and turbo atm. Apparently it's a pretty unique one, and you certinally won't be able to bolt on that R5 turbo (although it's about the right size). Not sure about the megane 225 turbo. Don't know if the flange would be different. But don't rule it out. If you go for something with a different flange, then you'll need to fork big money for a custom exhaust manifold to mate to it.

Your main problem will be engine management. From what i've heard, those ECUs just seem to throw a fit if anything progresses beyond 120bhp. Also your injectors may be undersized.
You'd need to really really think it through, As it's going to end up costing you over £1k

2008 Clio 1.2 TCE
first thing is first, you are going to need to know what flange is on the manifold and turbo atm. Apparently it's a pretty unique one, and you certinally won't be able to bolt on that R5 turbo (although it's about the right size). Not sure about the megane 225 turbo. Don't know if the flange would be different. But don't rule it out. If you go for something with a different flange, then you'll need to fork big money for a custom exhaust manifold to mate to it.

Your main problem will be engine management. From what i've heard, those ECUs just seem to throw a fit if anything progresses beyond 120bhp. Also your injectors may be undersized.
You'd need to really really think it through, As it's going to end up costing you over £1k

thanks for the advice mate. maybe just be better saving the money and buying something quicker.

mk4 golf gttdi180
the tcehas a turbonobigger than a snail.smaewith the corsa vxr,your best bet is tolookaround and buyan intercooler of something like a transit van rwd as thats a reasonable size and i should think the pipe diameter willbe the right size,then you just need to sort the pipework out for it .
After the intercooler get itmapped and you should see a 20bhp+ gain. you will always get good gains with a turbo on

E30 318iS x2
You can get about 140bhp from a remap but I would be really worrying about the reliablilty of the engine and componants considering it's basicaly a standard 1.2 engine with a tiny turbo added.

I want to fit a nice FMIC to mine after doing my BMW one but its such a ball ache taking the bumper off I CBF.

This is the one on the BMW, would look tastey behind that lower grille.

IMG_0916.jpg

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Lets be fair, an R5 T2 turbo is old hat now, so too the T3. They do their job but there are plenty of much more modern turbos out there which are far better. Zero back pressure down stream of the turbo is ideal but hard to acheive especially in a road car so a decent flowing turbo-back system is a good start. The elbow coming off the turbo can be fairly restrictive in most cars so this is worth looking at too.
For safer higher boost levels, the C/R can be easily dropped with out the use of fancy forged piston. It will just require 2 head gaskets and a steel spacer laser cut to the same shape. This will make the engine slightly less responsive but with some clever ignition mapping, hardly noticable.
That brings us to the software which is by far the most important thing about turbocharged engine. There's no point fitting a bigger turbo, more efficient I/c and tons more boost if it can't be safely controled. If I were in you shoes now, this would be the first thing I'd invest in. Emerald, DTA, Polestar, Motec.....there's loads out there. They all vary massivley in price too but that only depends on what you want from them. If you feel brave get a Megasquirt. They are cheap as chips, do a pretty good job at what you tell them but you just have to be handy with a soldering iron lol......

......and I know you probably know but don't forget to upgrade the running gear accordingly lol

PH1 172 Sport
I'm sure someone on here has done a thread on adding a bigger intercooler and having a remap and has seen good gains.

White Sti Hatch
Bumper off is simple as ! only thing is Engine is only rated to i think around the 140Hp mark so push it to hard with a Remap and bubyee !!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
There was a rolling road printout to prove... The guy did mention that the guy who did the map said that it was pushing the limits of the injectors. Think it was bbpt that did the map.

When did he have it remapped, as BB haven't been doing work on customers cars for quite some time now. Think all they'll do is sell the odd part here and there.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
In stock form the injectors are 100% DC above about 5k on these, good power can be gained but injectors are really advised as they dont tend to last long at 100%DC.

Also the clutches in these (well the cover) are pants so for any real torque increase you would need this doing too!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
By the sounds of it, get it mapped with uprated injectors and an IC as the general consensus seems they don't have one fitted. Unless someone knows otherwise?

Take it easy with gear changes and pulling away and maybe your clutch might last till you can get it uprated.

ValverInBits
In stock form the injectors are 100% DC above about 5k on these, good power can be gained but injectors are really advised as they dont tend to last long at 100%DC.

Also the clutches in these (well the cover) are pants so for any real torque increase you would need this doing too!

Is it the injectors ONLY that limit the remap capabilities?
If you went for Meggy 225 injectors (not sure if they are bolt in) what's the next thing that would stop the power increase? is there a hard-programmed fuel cut in the ECU?

Fiesta ST2
sorry guys but the injectors only allow 115-120bhp standard as they run something silly like 90/95% 197 injectors if they fit ? FMIC and remap would be the best bet imo

also they do have an IC just not a FMIC its the big one beside the radiator can provide a pic for the haters! ;) oh also there have been people in other countrys have got them to around 130-140bhp but as far as I know they ended up totaling the engine!

Renault Clio 1.2 Tce
I've got 2 Clio tce's (one is written). My old one was running 132.2hp and 160 torque. I had injectors off a Clio 197 fitted as well as an air filter and a decat pipe, with just that done as well as a remap it took it up to those results, it was running about 0.8bar boost. I'm currently considering buying a ct9 turbo off of a Toyota glanza 1.3 to put on the Clio (obviously ill have to have a custom manifold made) as well as a bigger intercooler, the set up from the old Clio, induction kit, cat back etc.. After this and a remap ill be hoping to make gains in the region of 170hp maybe more at a squeeze.. I've also heard about someone putting a ko3 turbo on one and it pushing around 160hp with a few other mods, however I can't remember the forum I saw it on.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If you can get 170bhp from that little 1.2 without blowing it up then good on you.