ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

172 Race Car
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Definitely Tony I would love you to and then can actually see how much of the slowness is down to me ;) We will get the seat in the right position for you and then you can have a play! Give it a try at Llandow or Anglesey test if you fancy :)
Anglesey would be interesting

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Yes I said that to Tony the other week on the phone, we could all have a drive of mine on the test day, Gives you guys some time on track and can help me out at the same time with what direction I need to head with setup if your up for it :)!

182cup & 172 racecar

pretty much why between us we decided to spec down the burpspeed engine and not push the power band too high. Jay and Tony both mentioned wanting more lower down for coming out of corners after last year.

go in faster and hold on tight :D

Got it spot on as well.

Pre-Anglesey Prep:

So tomorrow I am heading over to Anglesey for a Javelin trackday with my instructor, the forecast is looking epic :) I have spent some time over the last week checking over the car post Brands race, a few little things to sort out.

The car got really hot at the end of the pitlane and has always liked to run on the hot side. I have upgraded the 8" fan to a 10". The old fan had the plastic fitting kit which seemed crap and kept coming loose! This time I have used M5 bolts through with some tap washers just to allow for some expansion.

The breather on the PAS tank sometimes let's a little fluid out so I have extended the breather and that now drains into the catch tank instead of dropping on my tyres.

The paint on the rear wheels had bubbled in the race which was odd because the brakes don't normally do much, the wheel was boiling and the rear bearings were knackered, this had also damaged one of the Stubs. So I have changed the stubs, fit new discs with all the relevant stuff!

I ended up painting the rear beam as it was already stripped down so just gave it a quick coat of hammerite (Sorry Jay I couldn't resist ;))

Also dropped the car about 10mm and will work on stiffness tomorrow, car has gone for Geo today and have reverted to a little toe out which should aid turn in. Thinking to connect the rear ARB tomorrow but will see how we get on!

Then it was just a case of bolt checking so I have marked up all the checked bolts with paint and have started to create an excel document with all the torques and bolt sizes so I can do it quicker in future!

Still not had chance to sort the datalogger and video but will try do that in the morning. Got to be up at 3 and set off at 4 :(! Another long day ahead as going to drive over to Anglesey and then back, then hoping to drive down tomorrow night to go watch the Burpspeed boys at Silverstone!

Thanks for reading and I will do a write up early next week hopefully with working videos and pictures!

172 Race Car

I ended up painting the rear beam as it was already stripped down so just gave it a quick coat of hammerite (Sorry Jay I couldn't resist ;))
Let down, thought you were a real racing driver

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Hammerite is proper heavy.

There goes your laptimes.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra

Shame, because it looked epic on track :cool:

DSC_0987.jpg

Phil (in the blue clio) told me you were having problems fella.. at least it didnt happen at a race..

clio 197 cup

i believe the gearbox has let go.

Lotus Elise

I hope you can work through your problems, and I look forward to seeing out on track soon.

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio

Good luck Ash was good to meet at Angelsey;)

Will do a write up in the next day or so although there isn't much to say unfortunately! Gearbox issues were the flavour of the day for yesterday, the lever had seized up which made it tricky and then it would go into a few gears and then started crunching and a few other problems so we did about 20 mins track time and then packed up and went home! Really disappointed as I had spent so long working on the car and trying to learn what i'm doing so been quite a blow to my confidence :( Still trying to stay positive and hopefully get it all fixed and sorted in time for the Llandow trackday and then also for testing/race at Anglesey :)

Was great to meet Phil and Johnny yesterday along with a few other CS members too! It was a stunning days weather so had a nice day in the sun :)

Luck just never seems to go my way and it is finally started to have an effect on me :(! Looking forward to have a car that I dont have to worry about this and that and instead can just focus on improving my driving.

Evo 5 RS

Teething problems, your luck will change soon!

172 Race Car

In about 6 and half years I think, he broke a mirror remember :dapprove:

Did make me laugh when he said that he broke a mirror just before all this started - told him to get a rabbits foot on his keyring and some heather in the grill lol

Gutted for you mate - With the amount that's gone into that car you definitely deserve to be able to turn up and concentrate on your driving without worrying what will break next. Hope it all gets sorted for you :)

PH1 172 (Track Car)

Chin up mate - I'm sure it will all come good in the end.

Life sometimes works like that, it will all average out in the end and you will be the luckiest guy we know! :)

Ben

Audi A6 & 172 Cup

Sorry to hear about the gremlins James, hopefully it's nothing too serious.

I've had cars in the past that have seemed intent on throwing problems at you one after the other, but don't let it get you down, it'll be worth it when you get all the bugs out, look at it as character building!

S1 Rallye Shed

Gutted to hear you had so many problems, still it was nice to meet you ( even if it was brief) could see you had a lot goin on. Hope your luck turns for the better.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys :) I really appreciate them and just hope my luck will change as can't continue to have major problems every time the car is out!

Was good to meet you too Adam and really sorry I was stressed/busy when you came over will hopefully see you again at some point!

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup

Genuinely gutted for you - couldn't beleive something else had gone wrong when i first read the updates slowly coming in :(

Dont know the extent of the problem - but I am approx 15 minutes away from Agency Transmissions in Worcester (used quite often by members on here - including Burpspeed). IF it needs a rebuild and you can only to drop it off out of hours i would happily take it in for you.

Genuinely gutted for you - couldn't beleive something else had gone wrong when i first read the updates slowly coming in :(

Dont know the extent of the problem - but I am approx 15 minutes away from Agency Transmissions in Worcester (used quite often by members on here - including Burpspeed). IF it needs a rebuild and you can only to drop it off out of hours i would happily take it in for you.
Thank you mate! I couldn't believe it aswell :(

I'm not too sure myself but I will update when I hear back from TDF :) That is so kind mate thank you! I really hope it doesn't need a re-build as it was only done when we built the car :(

182cup & 172 racecar

Not Agency was it James ?

Taking ours down there tomorrow, just to be checked over while it is out, might as well eh.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Ah heck - sorry to hear about the continued woes. :( But keep your chin up mate. You've come so far and I'm sure that you'll be back up and running in no time. It owes you some epic race time... BECAUSE RACE CAR! :D

Not Agency was it James ?

Taking ours down there tomorrow, just to be checked over while it is out, might as well eh.
No mate was CTS will be going to Agency if it needs anything in future!

Jay told me you already had it out :) Good going! Yes definitely worth checking it over, hope it's okay and save a few pennies
Ah heck - sorry to hear about the continued woes. :( But keep your chin up mate. You've come so far and I'm sure that you'll be back up and running in no time. It owes you some epic race time... BECAUSE RACE CAR! :D
Thanks mate, yeah I have tried with all the previous issues to do that but this one has really got me down to be fair, had the day today thinking about it and its really bugging me but anyway suppose thats the negatives of having such a great time when it does work :) Haha yes it certainly does ;)

BMW Z4

Thanks for all the nice comments guys :) I really appreciate them and just hope my luck will change as can't continue to have major problems every time the car is out!

Was good to meet you too Adam and really sorry I was stressed/busy when you came over will hopefully see you again at some point!

I don't believe in luck Ash, time and unforeseen circumstance yes. Some universal Godess dishing out quotients of luck is total bollox.

Motorsport is part engineering challenge and part driving. Learn to enjoy the engineering challenges or motorsport or it will be a very unhappy place for you, they are challenges in the same way going fast is a challenge, you have to constantly overcome both.

To put this in perspective my car is LOVED and I have not had an outing yet where there was not something mechanical to overcome with the car!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

hey james,
shame to hear about the woes,

but don't get down, about it, especially after coming into my thread telling me to keep my head up.....lol. These minor (although it may not seem it at present) things will happen, hey if it was easy everyone would be doing it....

chin up mate,

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Fingers crossed for a simple fix mate.
These boxes are a bit of an Achilles heal sadly for the 172.
in the series you race in would you be allowed to swap to a different make of box at some point in the future? Are you allowed sequential?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Bummer.
Thought that might be the case though :(

I don't believe in luck Ash, time and unforeseen circumstance yes. Some universal Godess dishing out quotients of luck is total bollox.

Motorsport is part engineering challenge and part driving. Learn to enjoy the engineering challenges or motorsport or it will be a very unhappy place for you, they are challenges in the same way going fast is a challenge, you have to constantly overcome both.

To put this in perspective my car is LOVED and I have not had an outing yet where there was not something mechanical to overcome with the car!
Fair play Mark :)

I agree with you in part and I do enjoy the technical challenges but having mechanical failure after mechanical failure has become tiresome and has left me just pissing money up the wall. I know what you mean but i'm just disappointed that I keep getting let down by the car and then can't work on improving myself!

If you ask anyone that knows me they will say how much I love this car, I live and breath the thing 24/7 and have such a passion for it which may sound gay for a clio lol! I worked until 3-4am every night last week getting the car ready for the trackday to then get there and for it not to work :( I was just a bit gutted but that was last week and now in the past thankfully :)
hey james,
shame to hear about the woes,

but don't get down, about it, especially after coming into my thread telling me to keep my head up.....lol. These minor (although it may not seem it at present) things will happen, hey if it was easy everyone would be doing it....

chin up mate,
Hey mate, thanks! Yeah I know haha ;) Thankfully i'm over it now and progress is being made as we speak with getting it all sorted! Won't be long before its back out and I can't contain my excitement for the Anglesey race weekend and also the Burpspeed trackday if we can get the car back together in time :)
Fingers crossed for a simple fix mate.
These boxes are a bit of an Achilles heal sadly for the 172.
in the series you race in would you be allowed to swap to a different make of box at some point in the future? Are you allowed sequential?
Matt is confident it's a clutch release bearing but will inspect everything on Thursday when it all comes out of the car, Gearbox is also getting sent off to be checked over! They certainly are, over winter I will be learning how to get it out myself and then will make future issues much simpler to fix :)

Unfortunately not in CSCC, Sequential would be awesome but not allowed it. Dogbox is allowed but it goes against what I want to do with the car and that is to cut down on long term running costs. Hope your well Chip :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

glad its on the mend...
not looking forward to the teething problems if / when mine is back on the road/track