ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

182 trackday racer
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Standard pressure plates do suck....

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 103
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

The ball joint housing is made of alloy, the alloy have a relatively bad thermal expansion coefficient. In normal case (linkage far from the exhaust, applied heat shield etc.) the shift force remains in a narrow range, determined by the 4 allen bolts despite the various temperature of the car, exhaust & ambient. That's fact that it must be protected from excessive heat, otherwise the alloy collar dilates and causes heavier shift force. Every 0.1 mm inside the alloy housing has noticeable effect on stiffness. If you set up the base tightness loose (bolts are just tightened, no appreciable stiffness caused by the housing) when the exhaust is cold, it should have enough room to dilate when the exhaust gets very hot (without heat shield) and it should not effect too tight linkage. If you have any observations, please let me know. Thanks!
Thanks for coming on here Yanoo and giving some information :) Yes I thought that it was the lack of heat shield and the exhaust being closer that would cause it! I love the product and it really helps with slop but for now I am just going to go back to stock and then will re-fit after the race when I have more time to play around with it :) Thanks again and keep up the good work!
Standard pressure plates do suck....
Ouch that looks nasty! I have heard from TDF that my bell housing was in quite a state but luckily not a write off so we have just taken the sharp edges off it and put it back together! Billet one from K-tec looks nice but massive money :(

Thanks for all the comments guys :) I'm away for the long weekend until Llandow so the car is packed and ready to go on Tuesday night and will collect the Clio en-route :) So excited!

James out of interest what's the reason behind going for a hydraulic handbrake?

Hope all goes well for llandow, look forward to seeing the pics/vids.

James out of interest what's the reason behind going for a hydraulic handbrake?

Hope all goes well for llandow, look forward to seeing the pics/vids.
Handbrake turns yo! lol!

We fitted it because the stock handbrake wouldn't fit in the relocated position and this was the only one with cable backup to meet bluebook reg's :( Proper PITA to be honest!

Thanks mate :)

182cup & 172 racecar

You coming by my place after picking up the car James, then truck on down to Jay's before Llandow.?

182cup & 172 racecar

Between 2-3, cos we are very busy at work.

If your late, I'll leave anyway, no time for mincers ;)

172 Race Car

So pleased to see this lapping today with relatively few problems. Good on ya mate, glad you gave it a decent run out

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Thanks for the passenger ride today. Car is great :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Other than one bolt working loose and jamming the throttle momentarily I don't think he had any issues at all.

Very jealous of the car and he seems to have got the hang of how to pedal it, he was going round really well I thought.

Merc A class

Give me a shout when your @ Oulton ;)

So pleased to see this lapping today with relatively few problems. Good on ya mate, glad you gave it a decent run out
Thanks mate, Yes was nice not to have to open the toolbox :) Can't wait for Anglesey and Mallory now! Thanks for fixing the throttle problem for me!
Thanks for the passenger ride today. Car is great :)
Other than one bolt working loose and jamming the throttle momentarily I don't think he had any issues at all.

Very jealous of the car and he seems to have got the hang of how to pedal it, he was going round really well I thought.
Pleasure mate was good to finally meet you and will see you at FCS (I think the car is going to be on track for a little test after a chat yesterday but won't be for long)

Thank you very much it means a lot :) Very kind of you to say! Hope yours gets sorted in time for FCS
Woooo glad to hear he got some track time in it without any major events!
Haha yes thanks Phil :) Will get a write up tomorrow but on the whole a much more successful day than Anglesey!
Give me a shout when your @ Oulton ;)
I certainly will thanks mate :) It's the only test I haven't organised yet so will probably be there July and then the race in October :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Car looked great, cheers for the seat testing, and I agree with Chip you were pedalling along with speed and looked very comfortable in it! Great to meet you aswell as the car! Top bloke.

Thanks mate was really good to meet you too and glad you were feeling better by the end of the day :) Welcome anytime and if you need any help with sorting the seats then just drop me a message :) Thank you it was nice just to be able to drive it for once instead of fixing it lol! Hopefully see you at another trackday soon :)

Little video from Llandow the other day will load up more when I go through it but just thought I would put a couple of laps up :)
[video=youtube_share;GGUsLjgziW4]http://youtu.be/GGUsLjgziW4[/video]

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Looks a good little track James, I am sure they do sprints there ?

When are you at Oulton , is it a test day ?

Looks a good little track James, I am sure they do sprints there ?

When are you at Oulton , is it a test day ?
Yes it was a great track Colin just a shame it's so far away :( I'm not too sure to be fair but I would be a good circuit for them!

Not too sure yet but July or September are looking most likely I will let you know, it will be a trackday as going to have an instructor for the day :) Anglesey race on the 30th of this month if you fancy it Colin? Would be good to see you!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Just a quick note to say 'hi' and that it was great to finally meet you and your car at Llandow. It was even more encouraging to see you out on track and enjoying some time behind the wheel. :D I hope I get the opportunity to catch up with you again at another event soon.

Cheers!

Just a quick note to say 'hi' and that it was great to finally meet you and your car at Llandow. It was even more encouraging to see you out on track and enjoying some time behind the wheel. :D I hope I get the opportunity to catch up with you again at another event soon.

Cheers!
Great to meet you too Andy :) Sorry that you weren't feeling too well and shame you couldn't get out on track, Yes so relieved that everything went relatively smoothly! Yes me too mate i'm sure we will :) Hope that brick hasn't done too much damage!

Wow you were flying on those laps mate! Nice!!

Looks like a nice little track for a clio too. Gutted I missed it :(

Thanks Phil, The car is feeling better every time it goes out with the tweeks to setup but unfortunately we won't know how much until Anglesey as awesome as Llandow was it's quite unlike any of the circuits we race on!

Yes it was great for the clio's, shame you couldn't make it :(

182cup & 172 racecar

Just watched the vid James, seemed to be going well, glad it all stayed together, and you got some laps in, that was the most important thing.

Time in the car, thats what you need.

Thanks Tony :) Yes definitely that's whats given me a bit more confidence now! Can't wait for Anglesey and going to try and do a few laps at the weekend at Donny (FCS) to test the new setup and if needed then whiz upto Teeside for a few hours :)

182cup & 172 racecar

FCS!! stay clear mate, too many knobs about.

You now own an expensive race car, not a chaved up track car, think about it.

I've never been so didn't realise it's not great on track :( Was just an opportunity for some free track time to try the new setup! I will do Teeside then instead :) Thanks for the tip ;)

182cup & 172 racecar

You'll learn nothing there, it will be too busy and never get a decent lap in. Just forget it.

I'm going to get slaughtered now for saying that, but I don't care.:)

172 Race Car

I did FCS once, the guy in a Saxo next to me in the queue to go on track got his 'track tunes' CD out, reclined his seat and put his shades on. When we got on track someone I overtook gave me the bird and beeped his horn.

Lol, i've done a couple FCS sessions. Cracking fun, anything goes pretty much! lol But like the others have said, not worth risking some plum righting off your current car!

Haha lol! I will just stick to Teeside then and lol at the track tunes cd, think I should re-fit a cd player and do the same :cool: Shame I can't recline my seat :(

340i

FCS track time is full of idiots.

I did 3 laps at Rockingham in a 15 min session and that was more than enough, almost side swiped by a Saxo, close to being shunted into the first left harder of the pit straight under braking and some Chav moaned at me for "doin im on da straight".

Apart from that is was fine.

/Rant.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Great to meet you too Andy :) Sorry that you weren't feeling too well and shame you couldn't get out on track, Yes so relieved that everything went relatively smoothly! Yes me too mate i'm sure we will :) Hope that brick hasn't done too much damage!
Cheers James. Thankfully I managed to get the morning sessions in and three additional outings when it went open pit lane (despite the dicky tummy). It's just the latter part of the afternoon I couldn't get out (when it was drying up) but I was happy as I still got loads of laps in! :D With regards the brick, I got new tyres fitted earlier and had the tracking/alignment checked. Whilst it was on the ramps I had a quick look and there was no obvious damage to the suspension (I didn't think there was) but the tracking was quite a long way out! Thankfully this didn't hinder the car too much on track but it was noticeable driving to/from Llandow. With it now sorted, all is good again.

Anyways - looking forward to your next updates and your Anglesey report. :D

FCS track time is full of idiots.

I did 3 laps at Rockingham in a 15 min session and that was more than enough, almost side swiped by a Saxo, close to being shunted into the first left harder of the pit straight under braking and some Chav moaned at me for "doin im on da straight".

Apart from that is was fine.

/Rant.
Sounds like the general consensus then :) I will steer clear, thanks
Cheers James. Thankfully I managed to get the morning sessions in and three additional outings when it went open pit lane (despite the dicky tummy). It's just the latter part of the afternoon I couldn't get out (when it was drying up) but I was happy as I still got loads of laps in! :D With regards the brick, I got new tyres fitted earlier and had the tracking/alignment checked. Whilst it was on the ramps I had a quick look and there was no obvious damage to the suspension (I didn't think there was) but the tracking was quite a long way out! Thankfully this didn't hinder the car too much on track but it was noticeable driving to/from Llandow. With it now sorted, all is good again.

Anyways - looking forward to your next updates and your Anglesey report. :D
Ahh sorry Andy I didn't realise you'd managed to drive it I thought you hadn't got out :(! Thats good then!

That's good news i'm glad it's not bent anything mate and at least its all sorted now :)

Thanks mate I can't wait for Anglesey will be an awesome weekend!

Thanks Tony :) Yes definitely that's whats given me a bit more confidence now! Can't wait for Anglesey and going to try and do a few laps at the weekend at Donny (FCS) to test the new setup and if needed then whiz upto Teeside for a few hours :)

If you're at FCS come say hi mate - I'm on track all morning (9am - 12am)

I find the 15minute sessions suicide as they're full of 106/saxo/clio idiots who can't drive. But the 3hr open pit session last year was fantastic, tends to be the more experienced people lol

I've never done Donington so i'm really excited! :D

I will do Phil although I've got something on in Harrogate Saturday night so wasn't planning on getting there until lunchtime!

Haha lol, I just found out that the track time is being run by Bookatrack this year so I doubt Jonny will stand for any messing about to be fair. Either way i'm just going to leave mine parked for the day!

It's a great circuit and i'm sure you'll love it! Look forward to seeing you on Sunday mate :)

are you pitched up on the TDF stand James?? i saw the remains of your clutch yesterday.. proper fucked!!.. will keep an eye out for you as i`ll be sweet talking Al into doing my belts + dephaser in return for a custom exhaust hahaha

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

I am working for all the cscc rounds except Oulton where I am on nights but will be coming along.
I may have the opportunity to come off shifts for 6 months in july but not 100% sure it suits me yet.

Yes it was a great track Colin just a shame it's so far away :( I'm not too sure to be fair but I would be a good circuit for them!

Not too sure yet but July or September are looking most likely I will let you know, it will be a trackday as going to have an instructor for the day :) Anglesey race on the 30th of this month if you fancy it Colin? Would be good to see you!