ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

are you pitched up on the TDF stand James?? i saw the remains of your clutch yesterday.. proper f**ked!!.. will keep an eye out for you as i`ll be sweet talking Al into doing my belts + dephaser in return for a custom exhaust hahaha
Yes Stu well the car is and then I will be coming along as soon as I can get away from home :) Haha yes I did a good job on it ;) Haha sounds like a fair trade to me! Look forward to finally meeting you mate
I am working for all the cscc rounds except Oulton where I am on nights but will be coming along.
I may have the opportunity to come off shifts for 6 months in july but not 100% sure it suits me yet.
At least you can get along to Oulton then mate :) Sounds interesting hope you get sorted! Are you still planning to do Harewood in August?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Yep 99% certain to be at Harewood.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Pleasure mate was good to finally meet you and will see you at FCS (I think the car is going to be on track for a little test after a chat yesterday but won't be for long)

While Tony is right about the driving standards at these "come and try a track for 15 mins" type events being generally low, it does make for good fun the track being so busy. I guess like he says though, yours is a big investment to risk.

Thank you very much it means a lot :) Very kind of you to say! Hope yours gets sorted in time for FCS
Shouldnt be a problem, I stripped the hub apart when I got back from llandow and have got a new bearing ready to go in now, have brought the hub and bearing away with me as I dont have a press so Im going to drop it off at mike woodford to press the new bearing in and then I can refit it on friday night when I am back from working in london all week.
The mrs has also ordered a mocal catch tank as it looks like the drops of oil we left were from the breather which current is just a filter straight to atmosphere.

While Tony is right about the driving standards at these "come and try a track for 15 mins" type events being generally low, it does make for good fun the track being so busy. I guess like he says though, yours is a big investment to risk.

I quite enjoy it - it reminds you to stay alert lol

renault clio 1.2 16V

this is awesome mate fantastic job :hail:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I quite enjoy it - it reminds you to stay alert lol

I love the "chav fest" action days at castle combe, always a good giggle, but Im not sure I woudl do them in an expensive car, im normally only throwing around a few grands worth of motor though so not a problem to me personally.

Yep 99% certain to be at Harewood.
Perfect well I'm up for entering it on either the 4th or 5th of August (Preferably 5th) Unfortunately can't do the one on the bank holiday because of Mallory race!
Shouldnt be a problem, I stripped the hub apart when I got back from llandow and have got a new bearing ready to go in now, have brought the hub and bearing away with me as I dont have a press so Im going to drop it off at mike woodford to press the new bearing in and then I can refit it on friday night when I am back from working in london all week.
The mrs has also ordered a mocal catch tank as it looks like the drops of oil we left were from the breather which current is just a filter straight to atmosphere.
That's good news mate :) I will look forward to seeing it at FCS then!

I hope the drinks bottle did the job for you ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I hope the drinks bottle did the job for you ;)

Worked well enough to get by with on the day but I stopped using the car anyway due to wheel bearing noise.
Will have proper breather and new wheel bearing on for the weekend though, so its all good, see you there :)

Llandow Trackday:

Last Wednesday I started the very early journey to go and collect the car from TDF ready for the Llandow trackday, I then went to collect some new brake pads that I was going to be trying out due to the issues with the PF97’s causing the ABS to kick in very easily in the wet. The plan was to convoy down to South Wales with Tony, Jay and Andy. I met Tony and then we went to meet Jay and Andy. We had a decent drive down to Llandow and even had an opportunity in traffic to get out and have a look round the cars!

We got to Llandow and Jay and Chip helped me change the brake pads in record time (The pub was calling) We then went off to the pub and had some good food and a nice chilled evening. I had planned to borrow my brothers tent but this fell though and on Tuesday I had been to Argos and bought the cheapest pop up tent I could find, this had been a mistake. I couldn’t even fit lengthways in the tent lol. The following morning I was awoken to light coming in through little pin holes the tent seemingly had holes in which meant the duvet and pillows I took were soaked. There was a puddle on the floor of my tent which my phone and wallet were sat in. I dealt with it packed up and off we went to the circuit. When I jumped in the Clio I was greeted by a misted up windscreen so put the heated screen on but it would only clear small bands which seemed odd as it was only the first time I have used it. I then went to sign on for the trackday, it was great to meet so many people from the forum and finally put faces to the names. It was then time to get out on track, the weather was pretty terrible by the time my session came around but it wasn’t too important as I was only going to use it to bed in the new pads. After about 5 minutes I really couldn’t see much, I did another 5 minutes and couldn’t see anything at all so had to come in before I hit something! This coincided with the throttle jamming open which was a nice morning wake up coming into the first corner.

Throttle issue was easily sorted and won’t happen again and then back out for the second session, unfortunately it was very difficult to see where I was going and after about 5 minutes it was too dangerous to carry on so had to pit again. I had luckily brought some rainx anti mist just incase something like this ever happened so I applied this. Once again this didn’t really do anything but on the passenger side I had forgotten to wipe off the solution like you are supposed to and that was clear enough to see from so I came back in and wiped all the windows with it and didn’t remove. That was luckily the end of my visibility problems but it was now after lunch. The day then began to dry up and I could try out the new setup that was on the car. We had turned all the shocks up to full hard although the springs were still the soft set we had also connected the rear ARB. I was really worried that this would be too hard for the wet but it felt absolutely fine and probably still too soft so when it dried up then it was obvious that we could still go harder still. I got plenty of time in the car in the afternoon and could play around with various tyre pressure, line and different approaches to driving style. It has given me more confidence in the car and I am starting to understand how the small changes to the car affect the way it handles and in the long term this means hopefully that I can push forward with getting the car quicker :)
Overall it was a great day and I started my 520 mile drive home a happy boy! Massive thanks to Burpspeed for making it happen and I can’t wait for the next one.

Moving on from here I still have got a few things to do before Anglesey, the car is now back at TDF to have a few finishing touches added to the car. We are thinking to alter the springs before Anglesey test day. I am in the process of blagging a Sabelt Titan seat so that I have more visibility for the race at Anglesey. I am going to move the camera back in the car so it will pick up the inputs from me and give me more feedback on how to move forwards with my driving. The storm wiper kit has now broken again for the second time. The heated screen company are saying the screen failure isn’t their fault so I am now trying to work out why it has failed as it’s not the kind of thing you want to change each time the car has been out!

The last and in my opinion major thing to sort is the gear linkage. We put the stock linkage back in for Llandow but in the modified position, we did this to clarify the gearbox was okay after the clutch issue. Thankfully it was but this now leaves me with the linkage to sort out. With the linkage being relocated 18” further back in the car it has brought a lot of play in the gearstick side to side which means it is very difficult to tell between 1[SUP]st[/SUP], 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and 5[SUP]th[/SUP]. I also now have the issue that when a shorter driver wants to drive the car it is impossible for them because the gearstick is behind them. Unfortunately the original place for the linkage is too far forwards for me to reach so I am trying to engineer a compromise. If anyone has any ideas then they would be appreciated :) I have thought of a solution as below but we are not sure if it will work.

3886068f.jpg

I am now a confirmed entry for Anglesey and can’t wait to be out there, I am testing the day before aswell so should have plenty of time in the car.

Photo’s will follow once I email Dan for them and the video is below.

[video=youtube_share;GGUsLjgziW4]http://youtu.be/GGUsLjgziW4[/video]

Thanks as always for reading!

James

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I would just accept cutting out that tiny bit of crossmember under the car and hence allow you to sit the gearstick midway between where you have it now and where it started out, thats what I have done on my mk1 and it really isnt much metal you have to remove, would be easy to add an extra brace underneath or similar if this concerned you.

6397afac.jpg

ph1 172

Great read James and once again really good to see you at Llandow:)

That gear linkage looks like it would work for all forward gears but how would you engage reverse?

The gearstick on the Clios really is designed for short girls lol

Mines a stretch to get into all the gears and I'm still about 2-3" too far forward for my liking - but if I move the seat back I can't reach the gears
I'll be interested to see what you come up with :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Mines a stretch to get into all the gears and I'm still about 2-3" too far forward for my liking - but if I move the seat back I can't reach the gears

Thats exactly the problem I had with mine, where I wanted the seat to suit my legs, meant that the gear lever was then too far forward, especially for my mrs who is longer in the leg than the arm relatively speaking.

I would just accept cutting out that tiny bit of crossmember under the car and hence allow you to sit the gearstick midway between where you have it now and where it started out, thats what I have done on my mk1 and it really isnt much metal you have to remove, would be easy to add an extra brace underneath or similar if this concerned you.
Yeah I will have a proper look when I get the car back :) I'm going to try refreshing the front end of the linkage and see if that gets rid of some of the slop. Thanks yeah I will probably do that!
Great read James and once again really good to see you at Llandow:)

That gear linkage looks like it would work for all forward gears but how would you engage reverse?
Thanks Rhys likewise :)

I would have to run the same linkage *cage* as stock so would retain the same cable pull but would have to lean forward to get it I think.

Haha yes I agree :) I will let you know what I come up with mate! Need to get sorted asap

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio

When you at Angelsey bud??

Might do Harewood myself ive never been there.............

28th, 29th, 30th of this month mate :) How did you get on?

You should do it mate! It looks awesome and I can't wait to try it :)

Hi Mark, I know the one on the top left of the engine bay is a vibratech one but i'm not sure about the rest. I can ask Matt though if you want? :)

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio

When you at Angelsey bud??

Might do Harewood myself ive never been there.............

Not very good. Not happy with the car at the moment plus i might change classes as the cars in my class have had some serious money spent on them and because i have an anti-roll bar puts me in the same class.

The reason i stay in the class is that the guys are a laugh and we have some good banter................

Ohh dear mate thats not good :( Doesn't sound like a bad idea! What class would you be at Harewood? Same as me or Colin?

How would you be finishing if you were in the other class? Yeah I can imagine its a tough one to decide

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio

Ohh dear mate thats not good :( Doesn't sound like a bad idea! What class would you be at Harewood? Same as me or Colin?

How would you be finishing if you were in the other class? Yeah I can imagine its a tough one to decide

I would be in the same class as Colin . If i went standard class i would be on my own most of the time so i would come first;)

I going to have a rethink the end of the season what to do next year. I fancy a R26R but having trouble talking the missus around.................

Ahhh very good :) Haha you never know you could get the excitement of a DNF and not win lol!

Ooo that would be very nice, start grovelling now and you might be able to get one next year ;)

Clio 172

Good write up James was good to follow you all down to Llandow and finally get a lap or 5 in the beast. It goes well and I hope you can get the windscreen sorted out before you encounter those weather conditions in a race.

Yes Andy was great to meet you again :) Thanks mate! Yes I just got off the phone about that actually, It's not going to be sorted in time for Anglesey so will take plenty of Anti-mist with my new method of application :D

Thanks for the link mate :) Don't worry about it I had remembered the name and worked out which I need so thank you! It's on my list if I have to go down that route, I am hopeful that the screen will be changed as there has been an issue along the way which has caused it to fail so the replacement should last but will take some arguing to sort ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Cool, fingers crossed it does the job then, although I personally think a heater would help on the side windows etc too, so still might be a sensible investment as the heated front screen isnt going to help you see the passenger door mirror etc.

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio

Ahhh very good :) Haha you never know you could get the excitement of a DNF and not win lol!

Ooo that would be very nice, start grovelling now and you might be able to get one next year ;)

My car is back in the garage soon so i might start liking it again once its sorted;) When i showed the missus a R26R she said where's my mum going to sit:p

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car

This is the compact little heater I am using in my Mk1 that I mentioned to you about at Llandow by the way, forgot to send you over the details before till you just reminded me talking about the window issues. apologies for the delay.

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=180

Thats the heater I have in my rally car and it works very well

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

I would be in the same class as Colin . If i went standard class i would be on my own most of the time so i would come first;)

I going to have a rethink the end of the season what to do next year. I fancy a R26R but having trouble talking the missus around.................

There's no standard class at Harewood, I looked at an r26r before modding mine and I am not sure they would be a good class car as you cant use it in a standard class as they only made around 150ish you need 1000 iirc.

There may be 1 or 2 who should have stayed standard..........

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Perfect well I'm up for entering it on either the 4th or 5th of August (Preferably 5th) Unfortunately can't do the one on the bank holiday because of Mallory race!
Needs to be the 26th august arrgggg !

Cool, fingers crossed it does the job then, although I personally think a heater would help on the side windows etc too, so still might be a sensible investment as the heated front screen isnt going to help you see the passenger door mirror etc.
That's very true actually yeah, It wasn't just the screen I couldn't see out of :( My concern when looking at them the other day is where do you pipe the water inlets to? THe cooling system of the car? Sorry if thats a dumb question I'm still a newbie :eek:
My car is back in the garage soon so i might start liking it again once its sorted;) When i showed the missus a R26R she said where's my mum going to sit:p
Good luck for it mate I'm sure you'll get it all sorted :) Haha typical women always looking for the negatives eh ;)
Thats the heater I have in my rally car and it works very well
Perfect thanks for the feedback :) Will try and work out how to plumb in and get one ordered!
Needs to be the 26th august arrgggg !
Dohhh! Just when I thought we would have a clio gang hill climbing :(! We can chat on Saturday (See other thread ;))

172 Race Car

That heater looks very good. Yes mate it goes in the cooling circuit like the stock one would

Perfect :) I will have a look when I get the car back and work out a plan of action! Added to my to-do list :D

Does anyone know what the outlet diameter is from the coolant bottle? I would check if the car was here :(

Apparently there is a 13mm connection in the forge hoses further down so going to tee into that as it's the same size as the inlet! Jay I will need coolant refill advice when I get to it pretty please ;)