ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Lotus Elise
Was a red light DURRRR :rasp: I'm never going to live that down am I!

Can't bloody wait had another setback today though the bloody calipers are still leaking looks like I'm just going to have to buy a new set :dapprove:

That sucks!

I must thank you by the way. Took the front tyres of the wheels and found they most certainly did have water in them, good spot was good. :)

Cup In bits
Unless there cracked James I wouldn't be buying any new ones, clean threads, ptfe paste in those valves you have and it will be fine.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Was a red light DURRRR :rasp: I'm never going to live that down am I!

Can't bloody wait had another setback today though the bloody calipers are still leaking looks like I'm just going to have to buy a new set :dapprove:

Ha ha you notice the difference.

Couldn't resist not 100% your fault being your first race!

That sucks!

I must thank you by the way. Took the front tyres of the wheels and found they most certainly did have water in them, good spot was good. :)
Haha no worries mate :) Nitrogen FTW! I just get them filled to 30 and then drop them when testing to a good hot running temp and never have to top them up again
Unless there cracked James I wouldn't be buying any new ones, clean threads, ptfe paste in those valves you have and it will be fine.
I haven't found anything anywhere near rated for the temp that the calipers get to :( A few other people I have asked have warned against it! I have already spent £140 with those fancy valves so don't want to keep pouring money at them just need them sorted. In the scheme of the build I'd rather pay and know i'm not going to have a brake failure lol!
Ha ha you notice the difference.

Couldn't resist not 100% your fault being your first race!
Cheeky git ;)

I doubt i'll ever do it again (Fingers crossed)

I don't know what it is with me and Mondays but did another late one tonight and just finished off. Managed to get all the fuse and relay board complete and have powered up a few circuits to check they are working which was very satisfying :) Plans for tomorrow are mount the false floor on the passenger side for all the electrical components to be mounted on and then wire up the little switch panel, p-clip a few wires in place and then the interior is pretty much done. Need to make a start on fitting the doors too. Got a friend coming round on Wednesday to give me a hand with the engine loom so fingers crossed for some good progress this week!

file_zpsb5176fc1.jpg

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
What did you put nipple wise in the calipers in the end , there is no reason I can think of that would cause them to leak , mine on the rally car will seep slightly when we get them very very hot on certain rallies , but a nip up on the bleed nipple when they are hot stops it.

​Is it the adaptors you have fitted thats leaking , or the nipple itself ?

Your house will stink like a gay baghouse from all the stale farts lingering then!! Lol
Haaahaa pmsl!
I'm with you there - managed to finish the EPAS/Spacers etc... and everything on my car - but I'm eating toast for the next 3 weeks lol :(
Yupp we shouldn't get so carries away lol
How much for your old ones James? Recoup some cash and then maybe you can get spaghetti or go all out with sausages/bean mix.
Lol spaghetti now we are talking ;)

I'm going to hold on to them as spares as the replacement parts are so expensive from Alcon to the point where new pistons are more than I've paid for the whole new set of calipers so I will kick myself if I ever need spares lol
because enthusiast.
Damn right :)

What did you put nipple wise in the calipers in the end , there is no reason I can think of that would cause them to leak , mine on the rally car will seep slightly when we get them very very hot on certain rallies , but a nip up on the bleed nipple when they are hot stops it.

​Is it the adaptors you have fitted thats leaking , or the nipple itself ?
I tightened down some standard ones to less torque than Alcon suggest and they dented into the seat again so I'm convinced its a dodgy casting as they were perfect when you sent them back to me.

I then tried the standard nipples on the car and they were really leaking :(

Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it :) I will drop you a pm when I get on the computer tonight!

see if you can get a caliper with a larger pad area or go to an AP caliper (cheaper!)

I did have a look around but then run into needing new brackets etc. The only reason I don't like the alcons is the seat damage otherwise they are really good. I have been assured if I torque them myself then I won't have an issue so we will see!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I had a flyer come through the door for a bleed nipple repair kit. You fit an insert so the seat is completely fresh. sure I kept it.....

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
We have been sent some Impreza Brembo calipers to refurb and someone has had a go at drilling a bleed nipple out and totally fcuked it up drilling it off centre and destroying the seat , so he picked up one of these off ebay , we will be fiitting the insert into the caliper by machining a 12 mm thread , will seal it with a copper washer , the bleed nipple is stainless as well.

If it fixes this caliper it will fix yours as well.

F6EBF8D0-37F8-4E0C-9738-816B8473F600-3934-0000028FF5F37C12_zpsa5f2042c.jpg

3507B8D2-D0D6-4D0A-B9EF-B2F3EEC26EAE-3934-0000028FF13F8944_zpsefde356b.jpg

​Cheers Ian

Interesting Ian thanks for that, I'd be a bit concerned about clearance as the surrounding area on the Alcon is quite small but if they work please would you let me know as it would good to carry a spare set of calipers :)

Thanks again