ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BG 182

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Ooh very nice. Wheee did you get them from?
Got them from a lad in Belgium. Hence the 2 parcels to save on cost. :smile:

I've given them a clean but you can see how they've barely been used from how well they come up!
I'll be getting proper covers and fitting them early next year (most likely maybe sooner...)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Yes!

I would recommend the motamec covers. I have them and have compared them to other ones and the material is much better and stronger.

More expensive at £35 but worth it IMO.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yes!

I would recommend the motamec covers. I have them and have compared them to other ones and the material is much better and stronger.

More expensive at £35 but worth it IMO.
I was going to go down that route having seen how well they work at protecting yours Mark!

I've given the rears 2 coats of wax anyway, shame they can't be protected some how.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I was going to go down that route having seen how well they work at protecting yours Mark!

I've given the rears 2 coats of wax anyway, shame they can't be protected some how.

Spray them with ACF-50.

Niall's done his coilovers and whiteline bar with them and there's not one bit of rust or anything on them yet.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Fronts arrived yesterday and I gave them a clean. Bought used but they don't appear to have done many miles at all! Only way to tell is when I fit them. What's the best way to gauge the height?

Just ordered coilovers covers and some ACF50 in preparation to fit.

IMG_20171120_212246_375.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Best way to set them up is to ask @Dr Jekyll to measure how he's got his and do that, because his sits perfectly!
I'll just get him to set mine up completely :smile:

Popped the top dash off to fit my freshly painted Speedo trim. Fairly easy job, takes a slight bit of man handling to get it over the satnav display but otherwise painless.
20171121_124739.jpg
20171121_124701.jpg

I would probably guess someone had been here before me as the screws on the side were missing. Not that they're needed.

Out with the old

received_1536378273121247.jpeg

received_1536396996452708.jpeg

In with the new

received_1536396933119381.jpeg

Whilst out I gave everything a quick polish and tried to stop any dust getting inside of the cluster

received_1536410313118043.jpeg

I then popped it back into the dash and realigned the top dash. All went smoothly and a pretty simple job! Very happy with how it looks now, much easier on the eye and less cheap than the standard silver.

IMG_20171121_144854_543.jpg

20171121_142929.jpg

A very worthwhile and cheap mod!

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Looks like you've got a good buy there with the coilovers, they look in really good condition for second hand!

I do like that dash surround too :up::up:
Cheers Steve. I did question whether I wanted to go used but they seemed too good to turn down. New would have only ended up like this after a winter anyways.

Saw these pop up on instagram! Wondered where you'd purchased them from... I'm now on the hunt myself...off to German eBay :tongueout:

MKe sure you count the threads as I'll need to know for when mine arrive 😂

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Coming along nicely Louis, decent bonnet will be the best thing you've added so far! The billies look like new, where did you find them? Are you going to paint the dash strips to match the dial trim? It would look smart if you did. Keep it up, it already looks like a different car since csf.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Coming along nicely Louis, decent bonnet will be the best thing you've added so far! The billies look like new, where did you find them? Are you going to paint the dash strips to match the dial trim? It would look smart if you did. Keep it up, it already looks like a different car since csf.
Cheers Paul. Can't wait to get the bonnet on as you're always drawn to the dents even when clean. Probably the hardest part to find of the whole build 😂
Found the bilsteins on Facebook but he had never actually posted a proper for sale thread for them.
Dash trim wise, I quite like the carbon dipped ones that it's running at the minute. Matches my steering wheel centre and the geatstick insert. Might change when I get a sabelt/sparco and fit my scenic shifter.
The car was hanging at csf haha but yeah it's coming along quickly now :smile::smile::up:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I seem to be building quite the pile of parts! I will update properly when I get chance but today I started work on turning my aluminium gearstick shaft.
Taking inspiration from the BMS and the PMS shifter I've decided to make my own. How hard can it be? I have a few ideas for stiffening up the shifter and I have already bent the scenic one that i got cheap as I mentioned a few pages back.
I'll be using a quiafe style knob and documenting what I do as I get chance.
Started off with some 22.2mm x 3.25mm WT (£5.96 posted for a 400mm tube, enough for any mistakes) and turned it down to 18mm OD.
I parted the ally at 170mm, and left a ridge at 145mm where I'll be having the lift up collar. I'll be getting some large penny washers for this and having a play with what feels best to get a grip onto.
A slot needs to be milled lower down the shaft to allow the reverse to actually work. This will be tomorrows job if I get chance.

Couple of pics for now, but obviously a long way to go.
20171213_173652.jpg
20171213_173659.jpg
20171213_182055.jpg
20171213_182046.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Interested to see the outcome mate

Also I don’t think it’s the gear sticks that’s the main issue, well it sort of is. But the likes of the pms replaces the whole lot which imo why it all works so well.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
How are you going to attach the cable for the reverse lift up?
I'll be milling a slot lower down for the dowel pin to sit through and then bonding this to the original plastic section that will be cut down. The OD of the original black plastic is 15mm so should slide over nicely. Fingers crossed. :smile:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Did some more on the shifter today.
Started by adding a recess onto the collar I had left on the shaft.

20171215_165511.jpg

I then had a rummage at work in the scrap metal bin and found a bit of 28mm OD aluminium.
Turned this down with an internal lip to the diameter of the step on the shaft and an ID of 18mm.

20171215_165525.jpg

20171215_165536.jpg

20171215_165558.jpg

20171215_165547.jpg

I then took the existing plastic surround and turned off the plastic tabs and cut it to allow the aluminium to slide over it.
20171215_175052.jpg

To attach them all together through the centre steel I had to mill a slot in the aluminium. Lined it up with the plastic to make sure it was all in the same place as oem during cutting.

20171215_175122.jpg
20171215_175136.jpg

20171215_175208.jpg

Now all I have to do is bond the aluminium to the plastic and then secure the reverse collar. I'm thinking 28mm is large enough? Didn't want it to be too extreme.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I would glue a piece of the original plastic into the top of your metal tube to stop it rattling against the shaft.
I was going to turn an 18mm groove into the bottom of the quiafe knob so that it located and didn't rattle. But your idea might be better

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Fitted my new oem painted bonnet today. Most know how long ive been after one of these for.

Had a little struggle aligning it and getting the bonnet to unlatch after closing but all sorted and lubed up now.
It's nice to have a bonnet without huge dents. Just need to clean the rest of the car now!!
20171216_151241.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Genuinely love this car now! Really enjoying making it mint and doing small projects on the side.
It's filthy at the minute though but really don't see the point washing it as it'll get dirty again just as quick.
20171216_131813.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Sooo, I endulged and bought a milltek non resonated system with decat. I was fedup of my current system always blowing and hanging low and thought this was the best course of action! I decided it would be easier just buying a sleeved system rather than getting my olive joint remove and rewelded up on my current one.

Can't wait to get it and fit it!

25348858_10211384071461609_6227462372612575427_n.jpg