ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BG 182

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Definatly not quicker lol. Better but not quicker. But then I tend to fook about too much.

Once the initial compound stage is out the way, applying the polish is easy enough. I still need to do the roof and bumpers.

100% do it yourself if you get time and can be arsed.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Definatly not quicker lol. Better but not quicker. But then I tend to fook about too much.

Once the initial compound stage is out the way, applying the polish is easy enough. I still need to do the roof and bumpers.

100% do it yourself if you get time and can be arsed.
thats it did the clio took a day n half lol would like to do the mini but a glaze is screeming f**k the swirls cover them lol

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So this happened...

34598807853_3d31099262_c.jpg
DSCN0382 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

35021258020_61cb70324d_c.jpg
DSCN0383 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

35241869962_310811b933_c.jpg
DSCN0381 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

35408323265_f54a81ed28_c.jpg
DSCN0380 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

35241874932_318b5e80bc_c.jpg
DSCN0379 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

35241883232_38acb1dfb2_c.jpg
DSCN0385 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

And I am over the moon with them! Excuse the fact you could fit your head in the arch gap and the low tyres but these are things I will be rectifying in the not so distant future. The plan is to get some fresh rubber on them (cheap tyres yay!), fit some rear axle spacers and then lowering springs. I'd love bilsteins but think that'll be a while off. Refurbs of the wheels could be a plan for the future, but they have only a tiny amount of curbing and i'm not fussed as the car isn't minty mint.

Spacer wise, I'm thinking 15mm rear, 20mm front? This is how it looks at the minute, but when lower it'll obviously tuck even more.
35368865656_925f2c50f9_c.jpg
20170619_163649 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

35278689471_61287a2764_c.jpg
20170619_163715 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

Thanks @cs_dave for the smooth transaction, just got to get remnants of old plastidip off which is proving a pain on the insides.

C+C's welcome!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Dat arch gap tho!

They do look good though, even with your car being that high, they'll obvs look better with lowzzzz.

What ever spacers @Dr Jekyll has got on his to make his final offset, go for that. Although his 2118s will have a different offset to yours so you'll need different size spacers but as long as you get to the same final offset itll be sweeeet.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Dat arch gap tho!

They do look good though, even with your car being that high, they'll obvs look better with lowzzzz.

What ever spacers @Dr Jekyll has got on his to make his final offset, go for that. Although his 2118s will have a different offset to yours so you'll need different size spacers but as long as you get to the same final offset itll be sweeeet.

It had just come off the jack in the pictures too, so once settled looked a little better but still mahoosive. I'm not running these anyway for now as the tyres are on their last legs and it'd look silly.

Sounds good on the spacer front as @Dr Jekyll's look great. Believe these are et43 but I know Mark got some super special ones.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
He has 165mm spacers and his wheels are et38

165mm?? Widetrack yo!

@Louis' The car looks awesome on the 2118s. Best colour with them suited on BG :cool: Will you be adding some decals to them? And/or the "center caps" like mine has and also had on my old BG?

I'd be sticking with 10mm axle spacers for yours and 20mm fronts. I have 16mm fronts amd 5mm wheel spacers on the rear (i chose wheel spacers as i have the center caps and I needed to fill the gap as they pertruded a bit, and the axle spacer wouldn't have pushed the wheel out closer to the caps) but as others have mentioned, mine are et38 so stick out 5mm wider. So my 16mm/5mm on et38 would be pretty much the same as 20mm/10mm on et43. Does that make sense?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
165mm?? Widetrack yo!

@Louis' The car looks awesome on the 2118s. Best colour with them suited on BG :cool: Will you be adding some decals to them? And/or the "center caps" like mine has and also had on my old BG?

I'd be sticking with 10mm axle spacers for yours and 20mm fronts. I have 16mm fronts amd 5mm wheel spacers on the rear (i chose wheel spacers as i have the center caps and I needed to fill the gap as they pertruded a bit, and the axle spacer wouldn't have pushed the wheel out closer to the caps) but as others have mentioned, mine are et38 so stick out 5mm wider. So my 16mm/5mm on et38 would be pretty much the same as 20mm/10mm on et43. Does that make sense?
Always wanted them anthracite as they do look the best on bg! They did come with some centrecaps the same as yours yeah, will probably give them a lick of paint and see whether I like them on or not. Did you hold yours on with silicone? As these looked to have had some on. Not sure on the decals however you can see the remnants of them on the wheel where they've faded. A go over with a DA would get rid i'm sure. Unsure on what colour would suit, unless I just went for a slightly darker anthracite.

Makes sense on the spacers, cheers Mark. I presume I'll need longer bolts if fitting wheel spacers, but would probably just upgrade to studs anyway as I hate having to mess around holding the wheels up when changing them.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I would most definantly recommend studs then as you would need longer wheel bolts unless you get bolt to hub ones.

No bud, mine just pops into the hub as it's tight enough.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Always wanted them anthracite as they do look the best on bg! They did come with some centrecaps the same as yours yeah, will probably give them a lick of paint and see whether I like them on or not. Did you hold yours on with silicone? As these looked to have had some on. Not sure on the decals however you can see the remnants of them on the wheel where they've faded. A go over with a DA would get rid i'm sure. Unsure on what colour would suit, unless I just went for a slightly darker anthracite.

Makes sense on the spacers, cheers Mark. I presume I'll need longer bolts if fitting wheel spacers, but would probably just upgrade to studs anyway as I hate having to mess around holding the wheels up when changing them.
the fronts was held on via silicone as they didnt fit snug in the spacer like the rears did

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
What you thinking for lows now then Louis? Personally 2118's don't do anything for me. I'm even thinking of selling my 15's as without coilovers I think they look too small. Definitely a dilemma.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Nah. Mine if I was being fussy could do with going down by an inch or so, but the way it handles I'm happy.

Suspension btw

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
What you thinking for lows now then Louis? Personally 2118's don't do anything for me. I'm even thinking of selling my 15's as without coilovers I think they look too small. Definitely a dilemma.
What springs are you running?
Think I like the 2118's over most of the other 15's although there are some on par. 15's just make sense!
I'll probably go cooksports, or just save up and get b14's as then it's a whole suspension refresh. I want spacers/studs/ps3's etc anyway so I'm in no rush and then everything can get done at once.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I'm on @Dr Jekyll old cook sports. It looks just about right with 16's but 15's wont suit. After dragging the exhaust on a speed hump at the weekend going lower doesn't seem such a great idea either.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
165mm?? Widetrack yo!

Lol in the message you sent me it was 165mm haha that must be a typo lol i was thinking to myself seems a bit big haha.

Louis car looks good just go all out and get Bilsteins you know you want to!

Has anyone ever used ktr coilovers? I currently have those on my 172. But it seems that the right side is busted now and the left side is bent slightly (referring to front only) because I can't raise the ride height beyond a particular point.

I was thinking to purchase another set. But not sure what to get

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Do that ^

What were they on mark?

Vmaxx my man. Not the best bit did me ok for 2yrs.
Has anyone ever used ktr coilovers? I currently have those on my 172. But it seems that the right side is busted now and the left side is bent slightly (referring to front only) because I can't raise the ride height beyond a particular point.

I was thinking to purchase another set. But not sure what to get

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Don't get cheap again. Save/spend more money on a better set. Buy cheap, buy twice when it comes to coilovers on these.

Those wheels look great mate, perfect colour combo on the BG as mentioned above :up::up: Looking at the photos, it's a tough one but I think i'd have to have the stickers myself, but in a colour that's subtle and not in your face, maybe a light grey/dark silver? So I wouldn't have bright white on black myself in other words!

With the suspension, tbh @Dr Jekyll 's BG looks really good on the cooksports in those photos but I too would just wait and get the Bilstein's when you can as I think the 15's make the need for no arch gap even greater!! I wouldn't change the Cooksports on my car that said, but with Cup offset Turini's the car sits nicely on them

Oh and PS3's... good choice :cool:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Currently having a few problems with the clio, mainly down to my exhaust. A backbox bracket has decided to nearly break off, so it's held up with wire until I can get myself down the m62 to my welder. My main concern is it burning through my bumper, as it's already obliterated my exhaust trims which is a ballache. Bodged with plastic edge protector which will (fingers crossed) stop it getting worse.
Also noticed that my centre box is blowing, so not sure if that's down to the olive joint or the box itself. The decat is only cheap, and is badly fitting even bending in my manifold mounting tabs with the genuine fitting kit. I think I just need to take off the system completely and start again with fresh sealant/clamps.

Another problem is the front end noise, and feel of tramlining. It's not giving me complete confidence in the car when on a spirited drive, so i'm unsure if it's a new bearing or driveshaft i'm in need of but I want it sorting sooner rather than later. Lack of driveway at my new house makes working on the car difficult, which is something I miss from my last place. Sorry it's not exactly an exciting update, but the plan was to get my hands on some coilovers for next month.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
You could do the hoover trick like what I did to find outwhere the blow is coming from.

When did you last have the car tracked? It'd be worth jacking the car up at the front and checking everything to see if anything loose.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
You could do the hoover trick like what I did to find outwhere the blow is coming from.

When did you last have the car tracked? It'd be worth jacking the car up at the front and checking everything to see if anything loose.
I'm getting the car on some ramps this weekend at my brothers work, then going to drop the whole system and start again with fresh/cleaned clamps and new silicone. All mounts are new/polybush so it should theoretically sit properly. Will weld up everywhere that needs it.

I'll be ordering new bearings just in case for the weekend, and then getting it tracked then too. It's a snap-on alignment kit my brother has so should be OK. Not sure when it was last tracked, definitely not in my ownership. Pulls left slightly as it is, but this other noise is new.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Had a car weekend for the first time in a while, which was thankfully accompanied by nice weather!
I picked up a set of Cooksport springs, as although I want to eventually make the change onto b14's it made sense to get these in the meantime. It turned out to be a good decision, as upon removing the front shocks i found that someone had replaced just one side with a completely different spring. What I believe to be the 'original' also had a coil missing which isn't ideal.

36559851522_f48ea8fc79_c.jpg
20170820_151409 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

The two front springs together that were on the car...
36559859852_2cf7672e83_c.jpg
20170820_151332 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

I fitted the new springs and re-assembled with plenty of copper grease as I had to weld up a tool then use a 2 metre steel tube to get enough force to undo the top mount on one side. Must have been gunned on wayyy too tight in the past and also seized up.

35894872724_a033db01a3_c.jpg
20170820_152518 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

Cooksport and standard springs together.

36559871332_e368624fcd_c.jpg
20170819_113145 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

No pictures of the final stance but it's a million times better now than it was! No scrubbing either with the 16's which is a nice surprise. The car feels a lot more confident during turn in, which wont have been helped by the mis-matched front springs that were on before. Have no complaints about how comfortable the ride is either.

Something else I have no pictures of is my exhaust. I removed the backbox mount, then welded it all back on applying plenty of Hi-temp silicone to stop any potential future blowing. It's a million times stronger and seems to be holding up nicely so far. Shall get pics later.

After this messing around I took the car to my brothers work and got it on a ramp to fit my black series ARB bushes. What a pain in the arse they were but after a couple of hours of messing around finally got them fitted and the screws back in place. Crow bar is the best way with these.

36333806470_8d06699e27_c.jpg
20170819_171326 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

36683095186_64d13823b1_c.jpg
20170819_171613 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

The new

36333807900_81c6f3cdbf_c.jpg
20170819_171120 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

36333810020_a8fc68ed39_c.jpg
20170819_171101 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

The old

36590463261_5dccc16863_c.jpg
20170819_171148 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

Whilst on the ramps, it was clear the tracking is out on the NS and has started to wear the inside of the tyre. These were swapped front to back, and I have some tie rods/track rod ends on order as both were knocking. Bearings felt fine with no rocking, so thankfully these don't need doing! Spacers and stud/nut conversion to fit too.

Sorry for some crappy picture/lack of pictures but alot of the stuff was just done without thinking.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Had a great time at CSF meeting a lot of people from the forum and seeing some awesome cars. Couldn't have asked for better weather to watch those on track! Unfortunately my car was filthy having not washed it in over a month so I only took these two photos (My camera died after 5 minutes of arriving anyway, really need to prepare better next year :smile:)

36243272593_a5c8c0a22b_c.jpg
CSF by Louis Walker, on Flickr

36243267903_c272cd05a1_c.jpg
CSF by Louis Walker, on Flickr

No pictures (I need to get better at this), but last weekend I treated the whole car to a wash, then polished with SRP. I also wet-sanded my headlights back with 1200-2500 and finished with my DA using some menzerna compounds. Looks like new again, and totally transforms the front end. The PO had also scuffed the front bumper so I tackled this with the same method, reducing the marks considerably. I will be going over the whole car this weekend and promise to take some pictures! :smile:

Something else I've been meaning to do for a while was mesh in the front ducts, similar to those of @Dr Jekyll's.
I lasercut some 3mm acrylic framework
36862728756_a8d55fbde9_c.jpg
DSCN0479 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

Then using that as a template snipped out some 98mm mesh discs
36216099614_c2db3eb7d7_c.jpg
DSCN0482 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

Everything was going to plan when drilling the mesh and lining up my pop rivets
36243258543_2cc4a7cf6c_c.jpg
DSCN0475 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

36243305883_9ab7e59540_c.jpg
DSCN0484 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

However the rivets were far too heavy duty and snapped the acrylic. I did see it coming, and have ordered some small cap head bolts instead which will hopefully work and look great when all together. Will update as I get them built up.

My parcel also finally arrived! A Whiteline ARB with the added bonus of what looks to be black polybushes. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but they're pretty stiff and look different to the yellow ones I've seen on most. It's been used previously on a hillclimb car but it doesn't look to have seen too much abuse with the original silver coating still in great condition. The brackets are slightly rusted, but I'll be sanding these back and respraying them before fitting it onto the car.

36880345782_b1204fd900_c.jpg
DSCN0490 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

Not only this but I picked up some Ktec solid top mounts to compliment the Cooksport springs. I'll be degreasing and replacing the bearings before fitment making them good as new!

36243338713_7c900edc70_c.jpg
KTEC Top Mount by Louis Walker, on Flickr

Genuine inner tie rods and Lemforder TRE's are also ready to be fitted. Lots to do but I can't wait to drive the car after everythings sorted :smile: