ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple Pay

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Been using it for nearly a year using the ee app on android. It's more convenient when I'm grabbing lunch or using the tube, because my phone is normally already out.

It's just a little more convenient, but I don't think I'd miss it if I didn't have it.

not even set this up yet, can't see the point, my debit card is contactless and is always in my front pocket, as is my phone, so its quicker to pay with the card as i don't need to press anything or set anything up.

I can see me using it when the limit is upped to something like £100, that would be useful, but when its the same as a contactless card, can't see me ever setting it up.

It's useful in places like Greggs & McDonalds for me as my Santander card isn't contactless.

You pay for your fuel at Shell with Paypal.. I like the idea that if the one time you're there you forget your wallet and need something from the shop.. you can actually pay for fuel and then call in to the shop and pay for whatever all from using your phone.

not even set this up yet, can't see the point, my debit card is contactless and is always in my front pocket, as is my phone, so its quicker to pay with the card as i don't need to press anything or set anything up.

I can see me using it when the limit is upped to something like £100, that would be useful, but when its the same as a contactless card, can't see me ever setting it up.

This is so funny you say this, considering you basically do the same for fuel???

edit: beaten to it.

Reactions: AK

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The shell app has been crap in my experience. Works 50% of the time, and when it doesn't work locks the pump, meaning you have to go into the station so they can release it.

Genuinely useful when it does work.

dk

911 GTS Cab
This is so funny you say this, considering you basically do the same for fuel???

edit: beaten to it.
If I could use contactless at the pump instead I would though as it's quicker, I only use my phone as it's quicker that going into the station and I get electronic receipts, but with phone vs contactless card I still find the card quicker, like I said, when the limit increases for Apple Pay then I'll probably start using it then.

dk

911 GTS Cab
The shell app has been crap in my experience. Works 50% of the time, and when it doesn't work locks the pump, meaning you have to go into the station so they can release it.

Genuinely useful when it does work.
You don't have to go into the store, just replace the nozzle back into its slot a couple of times and then it'll work again, that's happened to me twice after about 20+ times of using it now. Using the shell app is more consistent than when it was though the PayPal app though.

SQ5
If I could use contactless at the pump instead I would though as it's quicker, I only use my phone as it's quicker that going into the station and I get electronic receipts, but with phone vs contactless card I still find the card quicker, like I said, when the limit increases for Apple Pay then I'll probably start using it then.

Why will you use phone when maximum cost rises? It's still just as easy to use your card in your front pocket.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Why will you use phone when maximum cost rises? It's still just as easy to use your card in your front pocket.
Because the contactless card is rising to £30 or £40, but I've heard Apple Pay is going to rise to £100 and upwards, with the contactless card it needs to stay low so that if someone steals your card they can't get away with too much, but with Apple Pay locked to your fingerprint, it's a lot more secure so can take much bigger payments etc. In effect it should be limitless like a credit card, as it's more secure than one.

SQ5
Because the contactless card is rising to £30 or £40, but I've heard Apple Pay is going to rise to £100 and upwards, with the contactless card it needs to stay low so that if someone steals your card they can't get away with too much, but with Apple Pay locked to your fingerprint, it's a lot more secure so can take much bigger payments etc. In effect it should be limitless like a credit card, as it's more secure than one.

Ahh, I see. I didn't realise they were going to have different limits for each.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Ahh, I see. I didn't realise they were going to have different limits for each.
i think because apple pay is more secure because of the fingerprint, that some retailers possibly already accept it with larger amounts, I'm just not sure which.

Contactless cards have just risen from £20 to £30 limit this month.

SQ5
i think because apple pay is more secure because of the fingerprint, that some retailers possibly already accept it with larger amounts, I'm just not sure which.

Contactless cards have just risen from £20 to £30 limit this month.

I knew the contactless limit raised as it was the same day Apple Pay became available with Halifax.

Definitely more secure, I don't think there should be a limit using Apple Pay as I imagine it's nigh on impossible to fraudulently use it.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I knew the contactless limit raised as it was the same day Apple Pay became available with Halifax.

Definitely more secure, I don't think there should be a limit using Apple Pay as I imagine it's nigh on impossible to fraudulently use it.
The next crime wave will be people's fingers being cut off along with stealing their phone. Easier than guessing a passcode ;)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I used this today. I was a bit dubious as to whether it'd work or not so had my card ready as a backup.

It's amazingly efficient. It'll be a shame to have to go back to a card for things over £30 :(

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
I used this today. I was a bit dubious as to whether it'd work or not so had my card ready as a backup.

It's amazingly efficient. It'll be a shame to have to go back to a card for things over £30 :(

Amazingly I used mine for the first time today too. Only a small transaction at boots but it was great to see it working.

SQ5
Haha, when I did it in Subway a few weeks back the young lad was amazed, I was shocked that he didn't know it was a thing that could be done!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yes surprises me the amount of 'youth' that haven't seen it before I use it! Get with it :wink:

SQ5
I had an issue with mine today. Reader had picked it up as the card came up on screen, it then kept asking me to hold near to reader.

Didn't do anything until all of a sudden is said done but it didn't go through there side, so I had to pay using chip and pin. Just have to wait and see if it goes twice now, was only 95p.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I had an issue with mine today. Reader had picked it up as the card came up on screen, it then kept asking me to hold near to reader.

Didn't do anything until all of a sudden is said done but it didn't go through there side, so I had to pay using chip and pin. Just have to wait and see if it goes twice now, was only 95p.
I had exactly the same

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've had this before and it's normally because you move away from the reader too soon. It does go thru though

SQ5
Happened yesterday. Don't think I've been charged twice yet.

You have to be careful not to double tap the home button in lock mode though as I think it confuses it a bit.

I've turned that setting off.

My card came up when I held it near so it knew where it was, thumb in the Touch ID and it just key saying hold near to reader.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Just ordered a takeaway using the Justeat app, paid with ApplePay, Achievement Unlocked Lazy Git :laughing:

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just updated my iphone, now everytime i go to unlock my phone with the print scanner it thinks i'm trying to pay for something and brings up my card wallet, which i have to exit and then unlock with print again. Anyone know how to stop this?

SQ5
Just updated my iphone, now everytime i go to unlock my phone with the print scanner it thinks i'm trying to pay for something and brings up my card wallet, which i have to exit and then unlock with print again. Anyone know how to stop this?

Look less than 10 posts above...

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Got my phone out last night and the lock screen was sat on Apple Pay asking for my Touch ID. As far as I can recall I'd been no where near something that would require it which is odd.

Anyone else had this

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
No, it was on when I pulled it out my pocket and opened the case, might ring the bank later and check.