ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

any1 agree?

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
as cool as the sport is ive only had it for 4 months now and as expected it rattles and i always feel like its gonna fail on me somwhere putting me off big style compared to when i sit im my mates type r it just feels more reliable and sturdy makes me jelous :(

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I know exactly how you feel, always feels like something is about to break.

Why are you moaning if you expected it to rattle? If you want a car that doesn't rattle, fork out the extra few grand and buy the type R.

You get what you pay for in life. If you don't want cheap quality don't pay cheap prices.
Oh mine doesn't rattle and has never gone wrong, so I don't expect it to go wrong all the time.

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
anno but so much faster mid range the type r takes away like a train!! not about power now tho a jus fell like im sitting in a bucket of crap lol altho a do love it it dont matter how much i maintain, fix and wash the thing i always get the feeling its gna go wrong sumwhere!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
anno but so much faster mid range the type r takes away like a train!! not about power now tho a jus fell like im sitting in a bucket of crap lol altho a do love it it dont matter how much i maintain, fix and wash the thing i always get the feeling its gna go wrong sumwhere!

Well in the last 16k mines only blown a rad hose, tdc sensor replaced, exhaust feels like it could fall of at any second, and the gearbox has fucked

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
hmm well so far ive just had brakes, shocks burst, and i got it serviced just outa paranoia lol and the 2nd day i had it the radiator pipes burst n the temp needle went off its head lol hense the reason im para!!

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
lol if we are talking about wear and tear, then my list goes to, disk all around + pads, cambelt, service, 4 new tyres, costly as i've only had it 7 months, arg.

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
never ending list on the old frenchys:( mate got his type r for 8k i payed 7 for mines and so far hes had.... an oil filter change compared to all ive done im gutted:(

BMW M3
Mine seems to be better now then when new. Had loads go wrong and ive been really anal at fixing every little thing. Doesnt even rattle !...... thanks to sponges stuffed everywhere behind the panels lol

Wouldnt mind a little german quality though :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
your exhaust ok since i rescued it scott??
Yeah thanks, was hoping to buy a new one soon, but won't be able to :( so just hope it makes it around the ring without falling of.

Lol currently i ripped of my door pillar trim in anger because of the rattle.

The Clios more fun though to drive.
AT the end of the day IMo your buying the car for more than just a means of transport (after all a 1.2 will do what you need) so your buying it for enjoyment after all.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Tbh though, at least if it does all go wrong it won't cost too much to replace.

Realistically the most you would be looking at is around 500 quid isn't it.

Sam

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Define fun, my old corsa has been overall a better experience than my clio!

Jealous of the Breadvan Type R ? Between it's lifeless steering and sadistic power delivery , I honestly don't rate it much.But you're right the CTR is deffo better built.

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
where exaclty do the rattles every1 talks about occure coz my glove box annoys the life outa me, my jan speed exhaust ruins me wen idling feels all shakey!amongst other annoying things i hate lol altho u gotta love it :) chicks dig the rattle magnet

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Oh found an new fault i forgot about, if i hold my engine at a constant rpm it's like it's resonates and shakes like mad in the bay, like a bucking bronco.

BMW M3
Oh found an new fault i forgot about, if i hold my engine at a constant rpm it's like it's resonates and shakes like mad in the bay, like a bucking bronco.

Is that down the left side mate ? My engine bay makes a horrible rattle at maybe 2000 rpm. Ive even jammed a trolly jack handle between the seat and go pedal to try find it but cant. Sooo annoying. Cant hear it in the car though.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

Is that down the left side mate ? My engine bay makes a horrible rattle at maybe 2000 rpm. Ive even jammed a trolly jack handle between the seat and go pedal to try find it but cant. Sooo annoying. Cant hear it in the car though.

No it's not a rattle, it's like a a t-rex trying to get out, makes the car shake to.

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
anno im gna keep her for another year or 2 tho coz i love it but wotn stop me worrying but its just soo much fun :) actually had a old guy in a s**t 320 bmw say to me las nite move ure wee s**t slow girls car out the way wen i was in glasgow then blew him away needless to say he wasnt amused:)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
anno im gna keep her for another year or 2 tho coz i love it but wotn stop me worrying but its just soo much fun :) actually had a old guy in a s**t 320 bmw say to me las nite move ure wee s**t slow girls car out the way wen i was in glasgow then blew him away needless to say he wasnt amused:)

Thats the thing, it's either put up with it, or knowingly drive a worse car, can't think of anything better for same money to replace it. Oh well, in theory my car should be fine now.

BMW M3

No it's not a rattle, it's like a a t-rex trying to get out, makes the car shake to.

Oh lol.... i think ill stick with my rattle then lol

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
lol, mine also has a tinny rattle, but only when reving between 1300-2300 rpm, not at constant revs.

Clio 200 Raider
ive got a new rattle now, when my windows down it sounds like the glass is rattling doesnt happen when i have the window up though.

as said i just turn the music up though

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
haha the rattles are amazing gives us all summat to talk about, by the way i got the car the last owner had maintained the seats very well almost brand new but wen i hoover it the nice wee material in the middle alcantara or summat lol is goin kinda bobbly any sugestions?

Maz

LY 200
Same has happened to my driver seat and the leather is starting to wear but thats 36k of usage I guess :(

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
anno, i really wanted a clio v6 next altho the rattles put me off but there soo so cool and theres none in my area!! my mates are putting me off saying i would be better with a golf r32 mk5 a think it is they were on about the shape b4 the newest one

Scirocco GT 210
If you browse the CTR forums you'll discover that their almighty Hondas rattle too! Owners are often complaining about it.

Not as badly as Renaults do though. :dapprove:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
u think ur car rattles lol...

try driving my 1.2 dropped 80mm on FK Silverline X coilovers with the koni dampers set fukin hard, Powerflex dogbone & ARB bushes, Powerflex Dogbone mount bushes, Powerflex exhaust mounts.

the vibration is mental, ride is very very harsh on main roads, get it onto a good fast road tho and it handles like f**k