ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

any harm in parking a car for 3-5 months ?

Clio 172 2002
Is there any harm in parking my clio 172 for a period of 3-5 months ?
I was told to disconnect the battery , anything else I should do ? besides using a car cover.
I plan on not starting it during that period , but if it's harmful I could start it and let it run at idle for 5 mins once a week or so ..

330i. E30 Touring.
I'd run the engine once every few weeks to keep the battery charged and oil where it needs to be, but wouoldn't bother with a car cover.

As said, in gear, handbrake off.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Park it up and leave it - it'll be fine. (handbrake off as said)

I went to view a v cheap 2010 Fiesta yesterday that hadn't started or moved in 18 months. Started on the button (didn't buy it though - long story)

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't bother running it, honestly, it won't really charge the battery, you may actually find it'll have the opposite effect. If you're worried, take the battery out and link it up to an optimate type thing or hook it up to a trickle on board.

Idling engines for periods of time isn't all that good for them and it won't get up to operating temperature meaning you'll likely have condensation in your motor and exhaust.

Just park her up and leave it :smile:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't run it either, you won't be able to get the oil warm just running it on the driveway so there'll be some wear going on.

You can whip the fuel pump fuse out, then turn the engine over on the starter motor - it'll circulate the oil still which is what you're after.

172 cup
New cars are left in fields for months, then revd there bolts off all way into the work shop for a pdi and road test,ha road-test how fast through every gear hitting rev limiter, and they are always are ok.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Pump tyres up to the max pressure declared on the sidewal-saves getting D shaped tyres.Only use a car cover if it is tailored for the specific car model, and is properly breathable( ie vendor can give you the figures), otherwise you risk sweating corrosion and marring of paintwork