ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another MCS. The track day toy.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Good to see it's all sorted Dave. What do these weigh? Also, do they have really long gearing, something like 80mph in second?

I used to have a 2004 mcs (pre facelift), after a remap (7200 rpm limit) it would read 74 in second gear on the digital speed readout!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Picked up a Cobra Imola Pro last night, just in time for Bedford.
Only 1 though, as im a tight ar5e :laughing:
IMG_3881_zpsdc8e2632.jpg

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Really do love this.
You'll love it even more now :laughing:
Apologies for the cr4ppy photos, it was raining.

Seat fitted. Epic driving position now!!
IMG_3921_zps29012b6c.jpg

Wheel trial fitted, didnt realise they didnt come with spigots :tongueclosed: just bought some off ebay.
IMG_3922_zps8d7908a4.jpg

Also cleaned the mould off the roof with a dirty rag i found in my friends garage.
Nearly ready for Bedford on Saturday! Yay.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So Saturday 28th Feb was the Ford/Renault Bedford trackday on the SEN circuit, & happily, the car was 95% faultless all day long.

Engine pulled like a train, no spark plug/misfire issues (even at over 50IAT) so the new map from 1320 has cured all problems.

Handling wise, in the morning (damp) on the Continentals (Meisters set to 17fr/9r), the car was incredibly playful, good front end turn-in, but the ability to steer on the throttle whenever i wanted, oversteer on demand basically. Perhaps not the quickest way round the circuit, but certainly epic fun!! Myself & Tom were quite simply driving around giggling. Turn-in, lift, oppo, power. Brilliant!! In the afternoon (dry) the R888's went on & the rear dampers were turned up 2 clicks (now at 17f/11r). Compared to the morning, soo much more grip, incredibly turn in, at any speed, similar properties to previously re: LOOS but obviously at much higher grip thresholds. It was genuinely rapid.

Only issue all day was the brake pedal went a bit long (Minispeed didnt use the high temp fluid i gave them), so they need re-bleeding before the next trackday. Actual braking power was superb, there is simply no need for anything more than R56S fronts with XP8's imho, no fade at all, even after some seriously late braking lol.

In conclusion, i think ive now created something better than my beloved Trophy, the handling is the same (if not slightly more direct steering wise) and it has the power to overtake things that would previously have held me up on the straights. The extra bhp is also very useful for straightening the car up when staring out of the side windows 😂

Some pictures, im awaiting the proper MSV ones, so just saome iPhone ones for now ..

Hotel the night before:
IMG_3949_zpsxy095ets.jpg

At Bedford:
IMG_3950_zpspt54p2yr.jpg

IMG_3951_zpsoseboluy.jpg

IMG_3962_zpshcljf2ik.jpg

IMG_3964_zps3j0ltmhs.jpg

IMG_3967_zpsa9iywvlz.jpg

IMG_3965_zpsggaidkg9.jpg

What next? More track days. The Mini needs absolutely nothing else doing to it.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Sounds like you're having fun!

I know exactly what you mean with regards to the power not just being quite there in the clios, i find anything slightly quicker along the straights just won't move over even though you are twice as fast through the bends, gets annoying after a while.

Are the Carbotech pads good then? I've been offered a set for my clio very cheap as he lives just down the road from me.

Clio 197
Nice thread!

The MCS is a car i have never ever considered for some reason but i do like them. A scan of AT confirms that i can get one for less than 4k which i didnt realise.

I am in two minds whether to switch from my E46 330 (probably why i am on CS!) and these seem to warrant further investigation.

How do they compare to the 1*2?

AT suggests that combined MPG is 40! is this correct?

Any other tips/input welcomed as you obviously know your way around them.

Nice thread!

The MCS is a car i have never ever considered for some reason but i do like them. A scan of AT confirms that i can get one for less than 4k which i didnt realise.

I am in two minds whether to switch from my E46 330 (probably why i am on CS!) and these seem to warrant further investigation.

I'd get one again!
I had one for a while. Do prefer it to the 182 I think, but it's very close between them! You won't get 40 out of a mini. Mid 30s on motorway

Loved the drive, felt like a go kart. Superchager whine and a pop n crackle exhaust. Mmmmmmmm

Love the car Dave. Looks a superb toy.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Are the Carbotech pads good then?
Very good, similar to the Carbon Lorraine Rc5+/RC6 in their feel/stopping ability/dustovereverythingness.

I always think of the mini as a "posh" clio, natural progression when you grow up, or want more power without spending £££'s.
MPG wise, i probably get 30 ish, i dont ever think "my gosh this is far worse than the clio" - even on track it seemed to use similar.
Other tips? They are a pig to work on compared to a clio, everything rusts/seizes, & its very tightly packed in in the engine bay. Parts are fairly cheap though i think, again, similar to the clio id imagine, no £500 cambelt change to worry about either.

Awesome stuff mate. I see you finally got the wheels you were after!
Yup!! They dont make the R Specs anymore apparently, so got very lucky when the "Power Ranger" was being broken on MT. £400 for wheels & R888's with a couple mm tread left, was mega pleased!!! Did need spigots, but they were only £7 delivered off ebay.

looking good Dave, will be good to have a nosey at it at some point :smile:
Get yourself to a trackday again at some point!!! Not just Llandow mind you lol.

Good to see the bodywork being appropriately being cared for to your usual high standards :wink:
Naturally. Hasnt been cleared since August when i bought it. Probably looks better dirty though, its very much a "10 foot away" car 😌

Love the car Dave. Looks a superb toy.
Cheers, i love it!!

@Sir_Dave
Disappointed this isn't at SRR on Saturday?
Hopefully see you tonight, be good to catch up.
Did think about taking it, still might tbh, but quite fancy seeing what the 135i is putting out. Mini was only RR'd last month as well.
Good point re: tonight, forgot you were coming over to our neck of the woods :up:

Peugeot 308
Any vids?
I wonder, Is the later facelift box a simple fit?
I keep looking at these again but a decent facelift is still the same bucks as I sold mine for near on 2 years ago :nomouth:

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Nice car, Always had a soft spot for these and appreciate them when built to a good spec like this and none of this scene pish.

Carbotechs are probably one of the best pads you can spend your money on, I have been using XP10's on the front of my Megane with 8's in the rear. Stopping power is ridiculous but they have properly ruined my wheels. Got some XP8's to try next, Not as hardcore in terms of outright stopping power but still better than the Pagid RS pads i have ran before. the XP8's actually make more noise than the 10's, which is weird considering they are less aggressive.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Any vids?
I wonder, Is the later facelift box a simple fit?
I keep looking at these again but a decent facelift is still the same bucks as I sold mine for near on 2 years ago :nomouth:
No vids im afraid, unless it featured in someone elses lol.
Facelift gearbox (£200 with oem LSD if lucky) would be an easy (£400 labour) fit at 1320 Mini, BUT, whilst the pre-facelift one is a bit rubbish on the road, i think the ratios are perfect on track - longer gearing is less of an issue as you're travelling so much quicker!! Im not sure id change mine, unless i was using it considerably more on the road for fun, which im not atm.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Just for some comparisons, hardly scientific as the corners were all different, but roll wise:

MCS on Meister R/conti tyres:
PR_150228_MSVT_BA_0703_zpsi6nww26u.jpg

Totally standard Trophy on PE2's:
1b.jpg

Totally standard Trophy on R888's:
bedford_zps759268d0.jpg

Trophy with Sportlines, Whiteline Rarb, camber bolts & T1R tyres:
8K9U2279.jpg

Trophy with Sportlines, Whiteine Rarb, camber bolts & R888 tyres:
7.jpg

Trophy with H&R coilovers, Whiteine Rarb, camber bolts & Hankook V12 Evos:
DSC8812.jpg

One thing i forgot to mention previously, is that the Trophy was ALOT better than the Mini on the road, the Sachs dampers were just sublime - perfectly damped for A/B roads, making it an incredibly good off the peg track/road car :up:

Great pictures those!! Such a good looking little hot hatch.

Can I ask you a question about the Aux belt on them?

Is it really replaced every 8 years (Every 4th service)? That's what Mini told me when I was enquiring about a friends Cooper. Also that the timing chain was done every 20 years (every 10th service).

I was told the service schedule goes as follows..

2 years or 10k miles - Oil Service
+2 years or 10k miles - Inspection 1
+2 years or 10k miles - Oil service
+2 years or 10k miles - Inspection 2 (Aux Belt)
Then repeats until you reach the 10th service for the timing chain.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Awesome shots! Really nice pics of a really nice car. [emoji106]
I want another MCS badly [emoji17]
Interesting comparison shots too. The minis are a real hard and flat ride.

Cheers for the nice feedback, it really is a good little car!
If you want one, you're more than welcome to have a play in mine at a trackday etc (maybe not on track, but you know what i mean lol).

It looked really good at Bedford. Has anyone ever told you, you look a bit like Robert Downey Jr?
Ha ha thanks, beats the useful "old Harry Potter" i guess 😂
You were hooning about in the clio diesel werent you? Must admit, that was one of the cars that made me smile the most all day. Someone else who realises that you dont need 1 million bhp to have fun!!! Hope you enjoyed yourself :up:

Can I ask you a question about the Aux belt on them?
Service schedule looks about right, although i have/will just give it an Inspection 2 every time i think, S/C belt (aux belt) is only £18 and i have the tool to change it, with plugs being £8 delivered (NGK BCR8ES). With the sort of driving mine gets & the higher power, for the minimal extra expenditure, i think it makes sense to keep both in top condition, to avoid loss of boost/poor spark - both have a fairly negative effect on the engines ability to make power safely!

Service schedule looks about right, although i have/will just give it an Inspection 2 every time i think, S/C belt (aux belt) is only £18 and i have the tool to change it, with plugs being £8 delivered (NGK BCR8ES). With the sort of driving mine gets & the higher power, for the minimal extra expenditure, i think it makes sense to keep both in top condition, to avoid loss of boost/poor spark - both have a fairly negative effect on the engines ability to make power safely!

Cheers mate. 8 years for an aux belt change seems mental.

I agree with yours though, might as well keep it tip top!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So, as i cleaned the M135i yesterday, i thought i had better give the mini some love.
After all, ive owned it since last August, done two trackdays and a few thousand miles without it seeing a sponge:
a_zpsjf0twl6z.jpg

So i went to see these chaps:
b_zpsw64lfanu.jpg

And they made it look like this:
1_zpsvqpunpyh.jpg

2_zpsu3hqkamc.jpg

3_zpsecdbjova.jpg

b1_zpsjjr9zls0.jpg
c_zps8sx2zwum.jpg

d_zpszcs6yt7j.jpg

e_zpsz7tfiqn8.jpg

f_zpsjptrgiqx.jpg

g_zps7af0jkqx.jpg

Cosmetically, bar a carbon JCW gearknob, the car is finished. I'd like the roof black, but i dont want to pay any money to do it. Mechanically its running very well, i fitted new rear discs/pads after Bedford, but the brakes do need a bleed before the next trackday i think - if only for a bit more pedal feel. Long term plans are simply to enjoy it on road & track, i might fit a Quaife at some point (& possibly a facelift gearbox), if/when it needs a clutch, but that very much depends on how much money gets spent on the car to replace the M135i over the winter.