ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another MCS. The track day toy.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Only if he can make it look like a JCW one! Seems a bit smaller or am I imagining that?
Might wait for one to come up on TM/MT.
It is slightly smaller than the normal 3 spoke one - not much, but will measure them both over the weekend for you.
They do come up occasionally, but only twice in the past year on MT, one was me selling one, one involved me buying one lol.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So. Update time.
Went to Goodwood for Hot Hatch Sunday, had a nice drive down there, but definitely missed the diff from the GP ...
IMG_2634_zpsce6e325e.jpg

Then went to 1320 on Monday 13th for some work to be done.
Strut tops were enlarged to allow easier camber adjustment. Angle grinder FTW!!
IMG_2701_zps968a8969.jpg

IMG_2698_zps04a2a642.jpg

To:
photo1_zps263c1d60.jpg

Then Whiteline rear ARB fitted:
IMG_2704_zpsf6d59934.jpg

IMG_2804_zpsf7b7048d.jpg

Unfortunately, on the way home, the brakes failed - not 1320's fault i might add!!
IMG_2706_zps797c5585.jpg

The culprit underneath the fuel tank:
photo2_zps61950004.jpg

Which meant a trip to Minispeed in West Byfleet for a new brake pipe & hose.
They also fitted a new handbrake cable & the rear Hardace camber arms that i bought a couple of month back:
IMG_2801_zpse6fdfd05.jpg

IMG_2802_zps2b3a83db.jpg

Before "alignment" - dunno how people drive with it like this lol:
IMG_2794_zps77d08871.jpg

IMG_2795_zps78111ba7.jpg

Note the toe on the passenger rear wheel. They didnt sort this in the "alignment" as they couldnt get their equipment on apparently (not sure how they did the camber then ffs), so im going to sort it out myself over the weekend, the rear camber looks more positive than -1.5 as well, so need to check that with my camber gauge ...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Bet that handles like a proper little kart now. Take me out at Donington please?

:grin::up:

How is the Whiteline mate? Not considered one before.

Actually have no idea how it drives lol, brakes failed on the way home from 1320, then ive literally only drive it 2 miles through town since!
First real hoon will be Donington, but of course Greg, no problem to take you out if you're coming!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So, on Saturday Ollie82 and I discovered why the rear toe was off so much ... essentially Minispeed hadnt fitted the wheel properly, so the spigot wasnt seated correctly, but they'd gunned it on anyways, albeit only finger tight. So when the wheel turned, it wobbled from side to side, changing the camber/toe with each revolution. Really not happy, could have fallen off & killed me FFS!!

The metal ring that holds the spigot on, & how it was seated:
IMG_2946_zps25e7330c.jpg

Damage to my wheel:
1_zpsc3cf2fad.jpg

The wobble:
th_IMG_2945_zpsx8fhbhje.jpg

With this in mind, we then got the camber gauges out to check the front/rear camber that id asked them to set everything to: -2.5 front/-1.5 rear. Result (it looked off by eye in all seriousness):

Front drivers -2.3
Front passenger -1.2
Rear driver - 1.1
Rear passenger +1.0

So we re-did it to -2.0 front/-1.5 rear. Need to change the top mount screw holes in order to get more on the front, but as with other things on this car from now on, Ill be doing it myself where possible, not relying on others to do it in my lazyness. If you want a job doing properly etc.

Also changed the K&N air filter. Bit grubby lol:
IMG_2948_zps674fd2df.jpg

Oh and fitted some Carbotech XP8 front pads.

Having finally driven it properly now, i can confirm that the Whiteline rear ARB adds a certain level of "steer from the rear", the smaller s/c belt that 1320 fitted (it was approx 1" too long previously) has definitely increased the level of boost at high revs and the XP8 squeak ALOT, seem pretty powerful though. Trackday on Sunday will hopefully be good.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I love this! Don't take it the wrong way, but it looks ratty and purposeful. My kind of car. :D

I love the whiteline on mine. Roundabout a couple of miles away from home is fantastic when its clear.
Looking forward to seeing yours at the weekend. Also planning on signing on as a passenger, if that's ok?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I love this! Don't take it the wrong way, but it looks ratty and purposeful. My kind of car. :smiley:

Ha ha. I take it as a compliment!! This is a very similar car to the ShedTrophy in that respect, mechanically very good, cosmetically not so much :tearsofjoy:I actually sold all the fancy bodykit (GP bumper/aero side skirts) at the weekend as i didnt see the point in having beautifully painted bumpers/side skirts when the rest of the car simply wont be kept mint. Or cleaned. Much. That £500 will buy me 2 x Corbeau Clubsports & a trackday instead. Will probably drop to 16's as well over the winter with some A048's - like so:
002-3_zps37a91cfa.jpg

I love the whiteline on mine. Roundabout a couple of miles away from home is fantastic when its clear.
Looking forward to seeing yours at the weekend. Also planning on signing on as a passenger, if that's ok?

Yes, its alot stiffer at the rear now, especially now ive upped the dampers from 6>9 in terms of hardness - wil probably add more at Donington depending on the conditions/how it feels. Re: passengering, ive got another 2 drivers, so more than welcome to go in with them as well if im eating a bacon sarnie/having a poo etc.

Sounds good. I'll be there all day anyway.
16s are the winners choice. I'm looking out for some wheels for winter as I don't want to get my OZ's wrecked. Probably get some hairpins as they're cheap enough.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Sorry to see the plug issue / poor mini speed performance.

The rest of it looks great :) The more I see of yours the more I miss my JCW.

Looking forward to catching up at Bedford, been a while.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Looking forward to catching up at Bedford, been a while.

Indeed it has!! Currently at a bit of a crossroads as to how to fix the car prior to that however:

Option 1 - compression test to make sure its ok after "sparkpluggate", fit new plugs/leads/coil pack, keep the GRS top mount intercooler & 450 injectors, take it to 1320, get them to sort the fueling. Cost £300 or so.
Option 2 - compression test, fit new plugs/leads/coil pack, upgrade to Airtec front mount intercooler (to reduce heat into engine), 550 injectors, Janspeed manifold & Tomcat (to get heat out of engine quicker), take it to 1320, get them to sort the fueling. Cost £1100 or so.

Theory being that Option 2 is probably a better long term solution, & will certainly reduce on track temps, but £800 buys a lot of tracktime, albeit driving around slowly driving to keep IATs down :tongueclosed:

Indeed it has!! Currently at a bit of a crossroads as to how to fix the car prior to that however:

Option 1 - compression test to make sure its ok after "sparkpluggate", fit new plugs/leads/coil pack, keep the GRS top mount intercooler & 450 injectors, take it to 1320, get them to sort the fueling. Cost £300 or so.
Option 2 - compression test, fit new plugs/leads/coil pack, upgrade to Airtec front mount intercooler (to reduce heat into engine), 550 injectors, Janspeed manifold & Tomcat (to get heat out of engine quicker), take it to 1320, get them to sort the fueling. Cost £1100 or so.

Theory being that Option 2 is probably a better long term solution, & will certainly reduce on track temps, but £800 buys a lot of tracktime, albeit driving around slowly driving to keep IATs down :tongueclosed:

Option 1 isn't an option.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Option 2. I'm really liking this, bet it's amazing to drive and a whole different league to standard!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Intake temps won't have caused that.

50deg isn't that hot at all Dave.

On my turbo 5 when it had an interwarmer fitted I could get intake temps of over 100 easily....

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Whats the update then Davy boy?
Quite a big one actually as i was at 1320 all day yesterday!!
Since "sparkpluggate" i've compression tested it (160ish across all 4, so perfectly fine), then fitted new OEM ignition leads and some colder NGK BCR8ES spark plugs. Got a coil pack as well, but it wouldnt fit, so will be sending that back instead. So onto yesterday:

Got there at 9.30am, strapped the car to the dyno & Thomas removed the ecu to be read:
1_zps90ecd960.jpg

2_zpsf1f08c1e.jpg

Engine bay needs a clean. Meh.
3_zps4a42d8d6.jpg

At this point, the ecu didnt want to be updated/read, so Thomas pulled it apart & soldered some things so that he could essentially re-boot it/wipe it/load the last tune back on & start afresh. Note the previous fixing that Richard's dad did to the board (hidden by the tape), things are never easy with this car lol:
4_zpsc4d02eac.jpg

5_zpsdedb17be.jpg

By 11.30 ish, after much swearing, the eco was sorted & the car did a base run:
6_zps64cc63bc.jpg

At which point the map tinkering started (took some advance out/more updates/other tinkering):
7_zps52e39bde.jpg

8_zpsf9111694.jpg

Once that was done, AFR's were sorted etc, ended up with slightly more power & torque than previously. Happy days:
10_zpsa80168db.jpg

And compared to my previous GP:
11_zps47540e26.jpg

Once the map was sorted, the rattly cam chain tensioner was changed and it got a quick oil change.
Now all ready for Bedford on Feb 28th, just need to bolt the R888's on and go for a play!!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I bet that goes F*cking well!!
Haha, yes, is pretty good, drive like a tool in this weather and its essentially wheelspin in 1st/2nd/3rd.
Drive properly and traction is very good because of the smooth power curve, unlike the 135i which is just nothing, boooooooost, sideways.
Think im going to see how it copes with the next trackday at Bedford, then put it on a bit of a diet ... like its owner :tongueclosed:

Haha, yes, is pretty good, drive like a tool in this weather and its essentially wheelspin in 1st/2nd/3rd.
Drive properly and traction is very good because of the smooth power curve, unlike the 135i which is just nothing, boooooooost, sideways.
Think im going to see how it copes with the next trackday at Bedford, then put it on a bit of a diet ... like its owner :tongueclosed:

There must be a fair bit of weight to be saved, do you have any idea how much? Quite lardy cars for a small hatch aren't they.

Are you thinking all out strippage or just what you can but still keeping some luxury.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Good to see it's all sorted Dave. What do these weigh? Also, do they have really long gearing, something like 80mph in second?
Not sure on 80mph lol, but the pre-facelift is fairly long! Can be a bit irritating on the road, but on track its perfectly fine, essentially you just stay in 3rd all day long! Facelift box with LSD in the GP is much nicer in terms of ratios and cornering however. Might be an upgrade at some point, although only if the clutch etc needs doing (box change is £400 in labour alone).

There must be a fair bit of weight to be saved, do you have any idea how much? Quite lardy cars for a small hatch aren't they.
Are you thinking all out strippage or just what you can but still keeping some luxury.

Theyre about 1200kgs, so a large passenger heavier than a 182. GP is circa 1120kgs i think, so once the rear seats are removed/the fronts changed to buckets it should lose a decent amount of weight id imagine, still no clio, but much more power. Wont be going silly re: weight loss though, car lives outside, so cant be dealing with damp/condensation all over the roof etc. Quite like being able to use it normally as well, whereas the fully stripped saxo felt like driving around in a baked bean can:
DSC02713.jpg