ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AMG to ///M

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It's the difference between a mass produced motor and a special motor. Granted they aren't as special as they used to be, but the forces going on within that motor are vastly different to a 'normal' engine.

How so? BHP per litre is a measure of the engine's state of tune is it not?

If so, regardless of the fact that mine is 1.6 litres versus 4.4 litres in the M5, they're both in the same state of tune aren't they?

But BMW say you have to have a special running in oil...and Ford don't. Is the engine full of unnecessarily exotic materials to justify the extra oil change?

I bet an m5 motor costs a lot more to replace than your ST motor if you punished it from the word go.

Just a thought.

I'd be surprised if it didn't...but it's still, at its core, just an engine making 127 bhp for each of its litres of displacement. When day to day 'normal' motors produce exactly the same or greater relative power output that's not a special engine at all...hence my confusion over this specific running in oil and early oil change.

It seems to me that BMW marketeers have been taking lessons from Apple!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I imagine in a perfect world, every engine would have a running in period on mineral oil. But when multiplied by millions, that's a hell of a bill for a manufacturer. So it gets done on the bespoke, expensive product but not on the run of the mill stuff.
I think it's because some metal to metal contact isn't a bad thing during running in in order to create a good seal (between piston ring and cylinder wall). The oil you'd run day to day doesn't allow that, whereas mineral oil does.
But that's something I read a long time ago, so could be outdated /irrelevant.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Got my running in service done a couple of weeks back, but the rain hasn't stopped since ! So not had chance to really open her up and when I do it's always a gradual feed in, will loose traction well into 3 figures in the wet.

Before the run in had a good blast over the Yorkshire dales and the cars handling is outstanding tbh. Hides it's weight ridiculously well and front end just wouldn't understeer! Which when you think what the front must weight is quite something

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Got my running in service done a couple of weeks back, but the rain hasn't stopped since ! So not had chance to really open her up and when I do it's always a gradual feed in, will loose traction well into 4 figures in the wet.

Before the run in had a good blast over the Yorkshire dales and the cars handling is outstanding tbh. Hides it's weight ridiculously well and front end just wouldn't understeer! Which when you think what the front must weight is quite something

Stage 1 map?

No doubt the performance is better in the BMW but I still prefer the C63 personally. Fair play though.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Got my running in service done a couple of weeks back, but the rain hasn't stopped since ! So not had chance to really open her up and when I do it's always a gradual feed in, will loose traction well into 4 figures in the wet.

4 figures? Have you managed to buy Bloodhound SSC?

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
That's all irrelevant!! It has close to 600BHP. I don't car if a Vauxhall Corsa has 400bhp/ton.
It's a bigger engine and a lot more complex than a 1.6 (I assume) so it's obviously going to be different.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That's all irrelevant!! It has close to 600BHP. I don't car if a Vauxhall Corsa has 400bhp/ton.
It's a bigger engine and a lot more complex than a 1.6 (I assume) so it's obviously going to be different.

It's not irrelevant! Well done for ignoring my point...total power output has no relevance to what I'm saying, at all. It's about the engine's state of tune.

A more highly strung engine will need greater care, a lower one will not. Yes, 560 bhp is a nice number, it's a big number and in your car the grunt must be epic, that's not in dispute, but when it comes from 4.4 litres it's really nothing special and certainly not enough to warrant a special oil and early change when so many others manage without it.

Is it not just ///M tax? I've still not heard even the most basic justification of why this particular engine needs it? Tell me its internals are made from titanium and gold and it's therefore essential because of some bedding in procedure and it'll make sense to me, but 'because ///M' is no justification at all!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
The highly strung N/A lumps always had the running in oil changed at 1200 miles, understandable as they are rather special engines.
With the turbo'd modern ones, i'm not so sure tbh, the M135i has pretty much the same engine as the M3/4 and doesn't need the change.
You are supposed to drive it under 4.5k revs until 1200 miles before smashing the granny out of it. Reason being: "its not a proper ///M car" ...
So my thoughts are that these days, its a little more marketing driven, to give an air of "specialness" (re: ///M Tax) to the ///M owners.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's not irrelevant! Well done for ignoring my point...total power output has no relevance to what I'm saying, at all. It's about the engine's state of tune.

A more highly strung engine will need greater care, a lower one will not. Yes, 560 bhp is a nice number, it's a big number and in your car the grunt must be epic, that's not in dispute, but when it comes from 4.4 litres it's really nothing special and certainly not enough to warrant a special oil and early change when so many others manage without it.

Is it not just ///M tax? I've still not heard even the most basic justification of why this particular engine needs it? Tell me its internals are made from titanium and gold and it's therefore essential because of some bedding in procedure and it'll make sense to me, but 'because ///M' is no justification at all!
You're a funny chap. You're so oe with the fiesta even down to tyre pressure, but question the manufacturers service regime on a 60-70k car with 600bhp-ish (which is what they all seem to dyno at.)

Had ford specified a running in service, would you of had it done?

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German

I didn't miss your point and I completely understand it but it's irrelevant to me and this thread. It is what it is.
The cost (outside of the service plan) is so small that it's hardly an issue. It probably is ///M tax but atleast they aren't trying to charge something stupid for an oil change.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You're a funny chap. You're so oe with the fiesta even down to tyre pressure, but question the manufacturers service regime on a 60-70k car with 600bhp-ish (which is what they all seem to dyno at.)

Had ford specified a running in service, would you of had it done?

I absolutely would have had it done, if they said it needed it, of course I would.

But that wouldn't stop me questioning why it was necessary when the engine is on a par with so many others that don't need it.

Engineering fascinates me, I like to understand how s**t works, apologies to all for taking the thread off topic.

Regardless and back on topic, epic car with epic shove is epic.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
I like this car alot.
IMG_20151119_155633_zpsjv8581wj.jpg

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
How well do they pull under 4.5k? Lovely car btw, would love one of these.
I'll be honest, I have really floored it upto 4.5k but even at a gentle push you can still feel the power.
I had one a couple of months ago and as you would expect, they are very quick but I suppose like any bi turbo, the power is just epic lol.

I am liking the noise too. No where near as loud or shouty as the C63 but it has a very deep note and the best thing is the gear changes. You honestly can't even tell its changed gear and does it instantly whereas the C63 has a gearbox that belongs in a 90s car.

@Rob You can drive it whenever mate. (after the service tho lol)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You can drive the bug, you will hate it. [emoji23]

I'll sit in the passenger seat, I never drive other people's car's. [emoji2]

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Much respect for the M5 but I'd rather an E63, bit less racey and more barge like, an E63 Estate would be perfect.
Yeh. Its the same as the RS6 tho. When you compare the price/monthlies of the M5/RS6/E63/Panamera Turbo, the M5 is an absolute bargain in comparison.

The difference between a 63 plate C63 (standard spec) to a well spec'd brand new M5 is f**k all considering the overall difference.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
If you put on the sports monitor think it reaches around 450bhp at 4500rpm, not sure how accurate that is but prob not far away... So even short shifting at 4500rpm it'll probably walk away from a e92 m3

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Im not so sure, my boss has a e63 and whilst the noise/power is ballistic, it really struggles to put the power down.
Wheelspin at over 100 isnt fun 😂
Yep. That was the biggest thing that pissed me off with the C63. Anything but dry weather and it would just spin all the time. Even slowly pulling out of a junction required the foot of a fairy.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I think I'd rather have an rs6, just because I don't see the point of a massive car with silly power that's rwd. The rs6 would me more usable, more of the time, it's the best looking think in its class and the interior is grand.
But they aren't really equivalent given the deals available on the m5. For the money, the m5 is untouchable.