ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air con re-charged - now car won't start?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I have taken my car into kwik fit this morning to have the air con topped up, now they have just phoned me to say that the car won't start.

What the hell.

I know the car has an emobiliser key, i have never had to use it in 3 years of having the car and now im worried and not happy obviously.

Would the car have been emobilised? What would have caused this?

Surely if the immobiliser battery runs out the car will lock up? I'm assuming the immobiliser needs to be removed.

Clio 197
Your car probably slashed it's wrists if the emobiliser was activated. I'm sorry, but it was only crying out for attention:cry:

Surely if the immobiliser battery runs out the car will lock up? I'm assuming the immobiliser needs to be removed.

They said they tried the imobilisor key and still nothing happened, it just beeped but wouldnt start.

Is there a nack to resetting it, do you have to hold the key in for 10 seconds or something?

Never had this problem before, they said the car wont even turn over, just nothing!

Fu*king sh*t fit!

Skoda Fabia vRS
is this an aftermarket immobiliser ?

if its not turning over, possible stuck starter or dead battery

Focus RS mk1
try wiggling the wire to the starter motor, sometimes corrosion attacks the contacts, mine does it every day but not got round to taking the wire off to clean them up

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Can I asked why you 'topped' up your air con?

RB FF 182
Quikfits problem IMO... they have to fix it.

Is the red light in the middle of the dash blinking fast when they try starting it?

immaculate clio 172
Can I asked why you 'topped' up your air con?

Obviously because it must have been low so he got it re gassed to get most benefit from using it surely just like i did last week lol :banghead:

Oh and where is this emergency cut off switch you talk about? just for future reference really lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Obviously because it must have been low so he got it re gassed to get most benefit from using it surely just like i did last week lol :banghead:
I'm just wondering if it didn't have a leak how could it need topped up?

And if it has a leak eg... the seals ect... then the gas is going to escape again.

If the reason you got it topped up is because the air con wasn't as cold as it should be then you've been nieve.

If the air con isn't as cold as it should be try running it for a few days, you'll probably only need to do it once and it'll go nice and cold again.

I'm thinking of making a sticky to say...

UNLESS YOU HAVE A LEAK YOUR AIR CON WILL NOT NEED RE-GASSED.

This is fact.

53 Clio's & counting

Oh and where is this emergency cut off switch you talk about? just for future reference really lol

Fuel cut off switch, it is a cut off switch that operates if you have a crash, to cut the fuel supply off

53 Clio's & counting

And if it has a leak eg... the seals ect... then the gas is going to escape again.

If the reason you got it topped up is because the air con wasn't as cold as it should be then you've been nieve.

If the air con isn't as cold as it should be try running it for a few days, you'll probably only need to do it once and it'll go nice and cold again.

This is fact.

Beg to differ mate, iv worked for VW since 1998 now, and i have found its quite common for air con systems to loose a bit of gas over time, check it out, most places agree, im taking a small amount, maybe 10% of the system in a year or so, thats why manufacturers suggest a re gas every 2 years or so, the system will still be working with 50% gas in it, just not as good as it could

Last edited:
is it cause its got feelings an didnt fancy being ragged to death by the monkeys at kwik fit ;)

smart clio imo

Last edited:
Yeah got it topped up as the car is 5 years old and never been done, just to make it a bit colder, make it run better etc. Even if it looses 10% each year thats 50% efficientcy i would have lost?

Well got it started in the end, changed the battery. I think it may be the autonator and the battery was therefore flat. Maybe just chance it happened when i took it in there?

immaculate clio 172

This is fact.

Sorry mate completely disagree with you on that one the gas and pressure reduces by around 10% a year as already stated and my mate runs a mobile air con service business and have discussed this with him many times,

I bought my 2002 172 last month and noticed aircon wasnt to clever so took it to him and he plugged it all into his machine and did a oil and gas level check should have 725 grams in it, but mine only had just over 300 left.

So he carried out a full leak test just to make sure no problems and then ensured me its completely normal opertation for a 6 year old car etc, now nice and ice cold again, dont know where you gather your info from gally?
The JOKE shop maybe? :banghead:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
So he carried out a full leak test just to make sure no problems and then ensured me its completely normal opertation for a 6 year old car etc, now nice and ice cold again, dont know where you gather your info from gally?
The JOKE shop maybe? :banghead:

It's fact mate.

It's also fact that most new Fords leave the factory filled with 75% Air con in the system.
What a surprise they tell there customers to 'top up' every 2 years!

That's a lot of saving.

Most of the time people will need it re-charged because they don't use it for a year on end and the seals will perish slightly.

This is called a leak.

53 Clio's & counting
Come on guys lets not throw insults around

Well VW don't mate, our's are full from factory, but air con systems do use a small amount of gas over a period of time, iv worked with the stuff for 10 years lol

Now i agree you don't need it changed every 2 years, as the system will work with a low amaount of gas, but getting it re gassed will make a difference

immaculate clio 172
Come on guys lets not throw insults around

Well VW don't mate, our's are full from factory, but air con systems do use a small amount of gas over a period of time, iv worked with the stuff for 10 years lol

Now i agree you don't need it changed every 2 years, as the system will work with a low amaount of gas, but getting it re gassed will make a difference
Yes agree with you there russ about not needing it servicing every 2 years thats just a money making scheme lol but the idea that someone thinks the gas and oil levels wont drop after 5,6, or 7 years unless its leaking is :clown:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

This is fact.
Disagree completely. Had mine regassed, much better now, and no leaks.

Focus RS mk1
im a tech at lexus and they sometimes need a re-gas after a few yrs, we put leak detector in the system (shows up green when using an ultra violet light) and we never find leaks.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

This is fact.

this is not fact.

A small amount of refrigerent can escape due to 'natural seepage' through the hoses used in the system and the seals of the individual system components. This can be up to 10% of the total refrigerant volume per year. A 100% sealed system is not possible due to the requirements placed on the system in vehicles (flexible lines, material selection).

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The way the gas escapes is through oil not lubricating the seals and they perish slightly, this is called a leak.
Now you can have your air con re-gassed and it'll work better but over time your gas will still leak due to the perished seals.
This is simply caused by people not using there air con.

I was maybe a bit strong on my point, I apologise. It's people like kwik-fit that get me wound.

immaculate clio 172
The way the gas escapes is through oil not lubricating the seals and they perish slightly, this is called a leak.
Now you can have your air con re-gassed and it'll work better but over time your gas will still leak due to the perished seals.
This is simply caused by people not using there air con.

I was maybe a bit strong on my point, I apologise. It's people like kwik-fit that get me wound.
No worries gally we all kinda know what we mean in our own little way oh except the cup owners that is lol all i know is got mine re-gassed for £40 and its now great again=bargain :D

battery was flat? you sure they wasn't using the electrics without starting the car mine went flat like that outside a potential +1's house not good having rac outside at 3am.