ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adam's Nimbus 197 Cup

Mini GP2
Having owned this for nearly 12 months now and 9k miles, i think its about time i started a thread. The car is not heavily modified, its still close to factory spec but i am gradually now looking to improve in the little areas.

Present mods are only a KTR decat pipe and Pipercross panel filter.

Firstly some pics....

16710097229_4564ce63de_b.jpg
Wide Angle by Adam Melville, on Flickr
16708718970_cf8bb1d064_b.jpg
Front by Adam Melville, on Flickr
16276083313_688190fb10_b.jpg
Angle by Adam Melville, on Flickr
16688703177_a84ebd04e0_b.jpg
F4R by Adam Melville, on Flickr
16276119103_db4bf4681e_b.jpg
Rear by Adam Melville, on Flickr
16276001073_180ef6d753_b.jpg
Front by Adam Melville, on Flickr
16895953875_e865d06308_b.jpg
Back by Adam Melville, on Flickr
16708294868_8209cd096f_b.jpg
197 by Adam Melville, on Flickr

First job was a full service (coolant was also done although the coolant bottle is not present in the pic)
15908410703_519264ea4f_b.jpg
20150214_130741 by Adam Melville, on Flickr

I would definitely recommend having the gearbox oil changed, the changes are much slicker with fresh oil in there and as we know they're not the strongest point on the Clio 3RS. My 'box was replaced around 12 months before i bought the car at 34k; my 197 has done 55k miles.

Other jobs are mainly a bit OCD related, new oil cap and new CUP badges.
16340826278_1df644fc11_b.jpg
20150214_154605 by Adam Melville, on Flickr
16502532326_168ef01d21_b.jpg
20150214_153645 by Adam Melville, on Flickr

Having had the Flexi pipes replaced last year, i looked into upgrading to Powerflex engine mounts. Presently i have only had the Torque bush fitted and for the cost its mod well worth doing. You can tell there is less engine movement under hard acceleration and the gear change feels a bit more precise (although as mentioned above, new oil will also help). Not sure i will have the other 2 engine mounts upgraded to Powerflex items as the dashboard does rattle quite a bit now.
16637973089_ea14471256_b.jpg
Powerflex Bush by Adam Melville, on Flickr

As the MOT is due on the 4th April, i have ordered Goodridge braided lines (not pictured as they are presently with the garage i am having the work done) and Motul RBF600 fluid.......

16896346505_4e5e738948_b.jpg
Motul RBF600 by Adam Melville, on Flickr

and i am also having these beauties put on the car once they are back from the wheel refurbers....
16340929238_92980af681_b.jpg
20150201_181516 by Adam Melville, on Flickr
Always wanted a set for my car so really looking forward to getting them fitted. They look mint in the pic above but there's a few marks and a nasty kerb mark on there and i want them to be perfect.

So that's it for now, future plans....

New discs (Brembo OEM)
New front Pads - Brembo OEM or Ferodo Fast Road pads from KTEC.
ARB Polybush
Powerflex gearbox mount bush
Rear torsion Polybushes
Front control arm Polybushes
Cat back exhaust if a second hand one appears at the right price

Adam.

I'd get a new road legal number plate too. You need a space between the 8 and the V. If you ignore it then the police will probably pester you and your MOT will fail.

Mini GP2
I know the plates are illegal; i had them made up but didn't notice the spacing until a few weeks ago. I have been stopped before for having a light out etc.. but the plates were not mentioned.

Great stuff @Adam93

As said there's nothing much you can do to improve these, as they are simply superb out off the box..

..liking the choice upgrades and maintenance your doing, always looks stunning the times I've seen it, can't wait to see it with new Alloys on!

Are you going get the GT Spoiler ?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Has this ever been in an accident? I can't help but notice, although it's probably just the light, drivers door looks to be a different shade?

I'd colour code side strips mate.

I know the plates are illegal; i had them made up but didn't notice the spacing until a few weeks ago. I have been stopped before for having a light out etc.. but the plates were not mentioned.

Oh right. If you want some road legal ones, try number1plates.com or demonplates.com
They come with the BS codes too. Nice car by the way!

Mini GP2
Great stuff @Adam93

As said there's nothing much you can do to improve these, as they are simply superb out off the box..

..liking the choice upgrades and maintenance your doing, always looks stunning the times I've seen it, can't wait to see it with new Alloys on!

Are you going get the GT Spoiler ?
Cheers Mike, no i am not putting a spoiler on, if i did it would be the Cup spoiler but i am not too fussed at the min.

Agreed, new wheels will look the business.
Has this ever been in an accident? I can't help but notice, although it's probably just the light, drivers door looks to be a different shade?

I'd colour code side strips mate.

No its not been in an accident. The bumper also looks a slightly different shade but its accident free.

Mini GP2
Good work so far bud. You booked RS day at Oulton yet?

I'm heading up there again this year :smile:
Hi Cub, no i have not booked it mate, not sure at the min.....

Going the 'ring from the 23-26th May; only doing Tourist Days but really looking forward to it. I will be at the RS day again though even if i am not on circuit.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Good man. Im only up the road (I'm in whitchurch)

Don't cc anything perfect as it is imo. Less is more

Mini GP2
Good man. Im only up the road (I'm in whitchurch)

Don't cc anything perfect as it is imo. Less is more
Thanks Gaz; ah you're not too far then. Usually go for a blast in the week nights during the summer on the A49 and the road surrounding Cholmondeley etc...

No i won't colour code it, a Cup stays as it is.

AG 200 CUP
Looks great mate very clean. Do you think the powerflex bush is worth it? is the vibration bad on the dash? I'm in two minds whether to get one or not

Mini GP2
Looks great mate very clean. Do you think the powerflex bush is worth it? is the vibration bad on the dash? I'm in two minds whether to get one or not
Sorry for the late reply mate..... yes i would get one fitted to be honest. Mine has bedded in now and there's no vibration at all. It will bed in nicely after about a week/150 miles.

I am considering other bushes but don't want to add them all at once in case the rattle is constant. I will probably add the Gearbox mount bush next.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks Gaz; ah you're not too far then. Usually go for a blast in the week nights during the summer on the A49 and the road surrounding Cholmondeley etc...

No i won't colour code it, a Cup stays as it is.

Its covered in speed cameras now :(

Mini GP2
Speedline's on along with Goodridge braided hoses and Motul RBF600 fluid; will do a more detailed report on Monday after i have recovered from the bank holiday piss up.

Just the 1 pic for now :D enjoy the bank holiday guys and gals.
16845885809_a10d6097ef_b.jpg
RS vs RS by Adam Melville, on Flickr

Mini GP2
Oh f**k that focus rs is superb!!!
Its a stunner, done 80k miles but you would never think it has. Its a great spec as well, exhaust, map and intake. 260 bhp and feels perfect.
As I've already said, such a massive transformation with the Speedlines! looks superb. Looking forward to more pictures :wink:
Cheers Mike. I will add some more pics soon. Enjoy the bank holoday matey.

Mini GP2
Update; so as already stated above; i have had new Goodrdige hoses, Motul RBF600 brake fluid and at long last the freshly painted Speedline Cup racer wheels added to the car. Very happy with the new fluid and lines, initial bite has massively improved giving so much more confidence when banzai late braking.... just took the car out for a quick blast on some local A and B roads and its money well spent. Really wish i had done this to the car as soon as i bought it. Couple of new snaps below, also started a separate thread with the pics from a quick shoot with my mate's MK1 Focus RS.
16433402844_5dea4f91cf_b.jpg
20150404_131522 by Adam Melville, on Flickr
17055838605_7edc83ae4c_b.jpg
In the air by Adam Melville, on Flickr

See here......
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/photoshoot-focus-rs-mk1-nimbus-197-cup.772208/

Mini GP2
UPDATE - Nurburgring May 15

So, i can finally say i have been to the Nurburgring. Having wanted to go here for what feels like an age its a magical place and everything i expected if not more. The original plan was to go down with a few mates but not everything works out like that; few folks dropped out and my other mate managed to unfortunately stuff his car before the start of the trip so it was just me, my good mate from my school years and the Clio.

With the car packed, documents at the ready and the boot slammed shut we were ready; the sat nav revealed it would be another 573 miles before we got to our hotel which included a little detour via some circuit in Belgium that everyone raves about ;) The journey down was pretty painless, apart from the M25 which i think is the worst road in the UK we arrived at Dover for the morning ferry having caught some shut eye in a Premier Inn which nothing Premier but the price.

View attachment 132421
(excuse the low quality)

After leaving blighty, arriving in France and heading for the motorway keeping an eye on the speed limit as i didn't want my collar felt by the local Gendarmerie; managed to make great progress and steam through Belgium heading for our first destination; Spa. Unfortunately, the circuit was closed due to preparation for the Spa classic 6 hour race which was a shame but for those who haven't been its a stunning place and there's plenty of nice cars kicking around. You know instantly you're in a place where petrolheads belong. I didn't take any pics for some reason whilst stopping off at Spa as there wasn't too much to see of the circuit.

Germany; make sure that when heading from Spa you take the scenic route and arrive going via the German countryside, the roads are spectacular, smooth, fast flowing and 99% pot hole free; there's an 80km/h limit although i didn't see one local plod on the way and i managed to make "good" progress ;) along the way. For people who have been to the 'ring will know that you're spoilt for choice for hotels and b&b's. I was staying in Wimbach, which is about 3km from the circuit at a local guesthouse called Meggis landgasthaus located deep into the countryside with amazing views.

18804474582_d269ae9089_c.jpg
Scenit by Adam Melville, on Flickr

The circuit was closed when we arrived so i couldn't get a lap in before the close of play but as the circuit was open all day Sunday and Monday it wasn't a bad thing. I purchased 4 laps on the Sunday morning and completed 3, the weather was interesting or shall we say, very British and a wet Nordschleife makes for a a very nervous lap. Still, the circuit dried out and it's an experience every petrolhead should do. The circuit is quick, fast flowing and the number of camber changes makes for an awesome experience; its hard to choose a favorite part whether its blasting under the Bilstein bridge into Tiergarten, or heading through the trees at Fox Hole its all over far too quickly and you just crave more and more of the circuit. 4 laps were soon over so i bought an additional 2 laps, 6 in total which is a little less then i originally planned but the circuit was closed foe 3 hours on the Sunday due to a big accident at Adenau involving a Spanish registered Meg 250 and the rain halted play at the start of the day. Monday was superb, dry all day and the circuit was much quieter which from a novice point of view was great for learning the basic lines of the circuit. Nothing spectacular from me on the lap times, my quickest was a 9:31 BTG (Bridge to Gantry) on standard Conti Sport 3 tyres, OE Brembo pads and discs, Motul 600 fluid and braided hoses. The car was superb, the brakes didn't fade once and its easy to understand how much potential the Clio RS's really do have as circuit cars.

Some generic pics
18810892561_7cbda4b5e7_c.jpg
M3 E92 by Adam Melville, on Flickr
18187677263_f60b3206cd_c.jpg
Rear end by Adam Melville, on Flickr
18803358182_867cb205b7_c.jpg
Catch me by Adam Melville, on Flickr
18808576355_1327bb92f1_c.jpg
Green Hell by Adam Melville, on Flickr
18620909738_7c27a3e31c_c.jpg
GT3 RS by Adam Melville, on Flickr
18620980128_a45b9bbe1e_c.jpg
Continental by Adam Melville, on Flickr
18186291834_5aa383e920_c.jpg
Minion by Adam Melville, on Flickr
18803932222_0002333aab_c.jpg
ED's by Adam Melville, on Flickr
18621260198_b336579182_c.jpg
Wing by Adam Melville, on Flickr
18811821051_de6f5e87a7_c.jpg
2-eleven by Adam Melville, on Flickr
18186689974_9b5ed15a21_c.jpg
4.0 by Adam Melville, on Flickr
18188763343_baee8f75c2_c.jpg
4.0 by Adam Melville, on Flickr
18623503129_3e52668961_c.jpg
Nurburgring ! by Adam Melville, on Flickr

Can't wait to go back. Roll on 2016.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Lovely

I take it it was you I saw in Crewe a few weeks back on a Friday night iirc??

Mini GP2
Lovely

I take it it was you I saw in Crewe a few weeks back on a Friday night iirc??
Thanks,

Yep that was me; just nipped into Halfrauds and got some AutoGlym HD wax :) your 197 sits perfectly mate, still got it up for sale ?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cheers. Yours is a nice example, nimbus is underrated IMO

It is still up for sale, but had a major wobble on Sunday though, still not 100% I want it gone really......

They really can't be beaten for driver enjoyment down a good B road IMO. Perfect blend of speed/handling with reasonable refinement for day to day that the mk2 doesn't posses

Mini GP2
Cheers. Yours is a nice example, nimbus is underrated IMO

It is still up for sale, but had a major wobble on Sunday though, still not 100% I want it gone really......

They really can't be beaten for driver enjoyment down a good B road IMO. Perfect blend of speed/handling with reasonable refinement for day to day that the mk2 doesn't posses
I really want a Meg 265 at some point but at the same time i know i will miss the Clio because i love the engine and as you say they're relatively refined for daily driving although i nearly melted about 3 weeks ago when we had the hot weather and no A/C :D

For now, i am more than happy with the 197; although i am so tempted to put a Cup Spoiler on.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ah a non ac friend!

Yeah only reason I'm selling is cos I've had it 5 years this September just fancy a change tbh

I want a 250 cup ideally, however they are a bit over budget for what I want to spend on something I only drive at the weekends. Mk2 meggy other than a r26r don't really do it for me for some reason, I feel interior wise at least it would be a step down

As for the spoiler, less is more for me, mine used to have a sprint fitted

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I'm starting to prefer the 197's without cup spoilers too - looks better IMO.