ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FINALLY! Clio 172 'HOU'

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
After 3 years of waiting, finally I have the keys to a Renaultsport Clio. But not just any RS, this is the infamous HOU. Owned by Daniel (again and again), Rob and many others.

It's a Clio 172, Phase 1 but with a FULL interior conversion to Ph.2. It's not perfect, but it's bloody close.

I have very little in the way of plans for the car, it's pretty much spot on in the first place. The idle control valve is sticking at the moment but it's not too hard to give it a clean up, or source a new one if needs be.

DSCF2401.jpg

DSCF2402.jpg

DSCF2403.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Please please please be careful in it.

These Clio are astonishingly quick.

You know what? I'm actually driving this slower and gentler than my 1.2. I don't need to give it death any more to get up a hill, I don't have to change 50rpm short of the limiter when joining a motorway, it's a real breath of fresh air to have a car that doesn't need to be driven hard. And the MPG counter is an excellent 'throttle deterrant'.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Watching the mpg will only last a week or 2. I did that once. Fun > mpg when you own a 182

drive like a saint or drive like an ass you'll see only a few mpg difference. Enjoy them!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ph 2 bumper doesn't have the hole for the tow eye and looks wrong on a ph1 anyway IMHO.

Dash is a brilliant mod but leave the looks as they are epic :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Dayum. I still love it.

What's up with the interior conversion? After I got it working, I know a few of the next owners dicked with it a bit..

All it needed when it left me was some white stickers making up.

The heated window button should be "unlock" padlock on it

And re-circ should have a heated window sign on it

The only thing I NEVER solved was why you had to press the aircon button twice to turn it in, and twice to turn it off. It may even be the same for the rear window.

Is the exhaust still actual perfect sound wise? There's quite a long story behind that exhaust.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Oh, and why do you think the ICV is at fault? Throttle sticking when pulling up and it's warm? It loved doing that to me before I lightly sanded the inside of the body with super high grade paper and cleaned the living hell out of it. I also fitted a new throttle cable.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Great buy!

get a PH2 rear bumper on it :eek:

Buy a mk3. You never stop looking at the mpg lol

27 ftw

That was my average in the 182. Needless to say I had a lot of fun and I'm glad I did as it doesn't last for ever. Whilst looking at my 70 mpg I yearn for the thrills of the 182. When I can next get a 182 I will be buying the most insane one possible and mpg will hopefully be around my age, 22 ha

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Dayum. I still love it.

What's up with the interior conversion? After I got it working, I know a few of the next owners dicked with it a bit..

All it needed when it left me was some white stickers making up.

The heated window button should be "unlock" padlock on it

And re-circ should have a heated window sign on it

The only thing I NEVER solved was why you had to press the aircon button twice to turn it in, and twice to turn it off. It may even be the same for the rear window.

Is the exhaust still actual perfect sound wise? There's quite a long story behind that exhaust.

Neither the unlock or rear heat buttons work AFAIK (there's no light and doesn't operate the locks, not had a chance to test the window heat other than prodding the switch and looking for a light). Aircon switches off when the fan is in the 4 position, but if you move the fan dial to just before 4 the fans speed up with the aircon on anyway. Not the end of the world though.

Oh, and why do you think the ICV is at fault? Throttle sticking when pulling up and it's warm? It loved doing that to me before I lightly sanded the inside of the body with super high grade paper and cleaned the living hell out of it. I also fitted a new throttle cable.

When you go down to low revs in gear (low enough for the ICV to open up to stop it 'stalling') it revs up to a max of 2k. When you tap the throttle it goes back to normal. Again not the end of the world really.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Neither the unlock or rear heat buttons work AFAIK (there's no light and doesn't operate the locks, not had a chance to test the window heat other than prodding the switch and looking for a light). Aircon switches off when the fan is in the 4 position, but if you move the fan dial to just before 4 the fans speed up with the aircon on anyway. Not the end of the world though.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was some of the wiring/spade connectors coming loose.

Basically, the lock button should lock the doors, unlock should unlock, hazard should work (I know someone after me broke it and I explained how to glue it back and fix it).

It should all light up but the bulbs are quite notorious for going if dismantled and knocked about, I changed them.

The speed four thing, I can remember that being the case actually. It all comes apart quite easy due to one of the quarter panels being more easily removable than usual. I could dismantle that whole centre section in about 5 minutes when I'd got good at it. LOL

Sorry I'm not more local or I'd fix it all, not happy it's not working anymore, but I guess that's what happens when you sell it.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If I had to guess, I'd say it was some of the wiring/spade connectors coming loose.

Basically, the lock button should lock the doors, unlock should unlock, hazard should work (I know someone after me broke it and I explained how to glue it back and fix it).

It should all light up but the bulbs are quite notorious for going if dismantled and knocked about, I changed them.

The speed four thing, I can remember that being the case actually. It all comes apart quite easy due to one of the quarter panels being more easily removable than usual. I could dismantle that whole centre section in about 5 minutes when I'd got good at it. LOL

Sorry I'm not more local or I'd fix it all, not happy it's not working anymore, but I guess that's what happens when you sell it.

Well I'll be bringing it to CSS I'd imagine ;)

I'll probably just leave it. Only problem really is before the lock button ceased to be, someone put it in RAID mode, so I have to keep opening the door.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Those buttons should be so damn easy to fix. Try popping that panel off tomorrow and have a look, if not, then if I come CSS I'll whip it off and fix the wiring issues.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
iirc it was an entirely different fitment, or, possibly it was because I didn't have the adapter. I think I actually still have it. Or at least had it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
probably been mentioned already didn't have time to read the full thread but ph2 dash conversion with the 2 best bits carried over from ph1, dials and gearknob! well played!!

car looks mint! enjoy it! nothing like your first RS!

Mx5
I can't believe this is the car I ruined my phase 1 for by doing the dash conversion. Would definitely do it again though. Didn't this car have trendlines in it at one point?