ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

335i or FRS?

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Both fantastic cars in their own right, but which should I go for!

Mk1 FRS + holds value extremely well, special, 300bhp easily achievable (I'd buy it modified), cheap to run.
- Interior, getting old now, no luxuries.

335i + image, refinement, performance, grown up proper car.
- unreliable, would need warranty, not special.

Thoughts?

neither.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I think my point is, they are that different it would be easy to know what you want from a car.

335i touring
335i any day of the week. Does everything well and for £250 spent on a jb4 will be pushing 370ish bhp and will be no slouch. Don't be put of by potential big bills. Just buy wisely and get one with either new turbos or with bmw warranty and you won't go far wrong.

335i's often have issues with the turbo actuators, alot of power with no LSD but can get one after market. FRS is a great car, but they're getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Insignia SRi
Both fantastic cars in their own right, but which should I go for!

Mk1 FRS + holds value extremely well, special, 300bhp easily achievable (I'd buy it modified), cheap to run.
- Interior, getting old now, no luxuries.

335i + image, refinement, performance, grown up proper car.
- unreliable, would need warranty, not special.

Thoughts?

Focus RS all day, they are not cheap to run so don't know who told you that. Mine was 350hp and drunk V-Power like it was going out of fashion 15-20mpg on average and as its a 12-13 year old Ford it's not that reliable but on the day where you have a full tank and everything works it's awsome!!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Would be a really difficult one for me to choose. Without doubt, my heart would initially go straight for the Focus. But once the bravado and novelty had worn off, I might be left hankering for the BMW.

Not sure though. There's no denying the 335's ability and grunt - but given all that, it can appear a little too anonymous at times. Especially if its been debadged.

D.

172, Tiguan
My brother has recently bought a 335. Nice car, understated, well built as you'd expect.

The iDrive is fecking annoying and the ride is surprisingly crashy, but it goes like stink. He's just had it remapped and apparently 'it's quite quick'.

335i for a daily. For something that you only drive now & again, the FRS
Look for a special FRS that's been looked after and money spent on it already.

I'd have this over an 335i any day

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=425778
Yuk!! He's taken a great looking car & put that stupid 'fashion' wrap on it!
I also can't find the price, hate that!

Never assume that a car is looked after just because it's had £££ thrown at it, rookie mistake.

the car in the pic shouts "turd" to me.
100% !!

FRS
Bang for buck and head turner ..

3704e3e0c9d97264222907a387a97105_zpse76aed61.jpg

:D

Z4
Viewing a 335i Saturday but I'm still very much in 2 minds.

It's going to be a battle of what decent example falls on my lap first.
I hadn't realised the 335i shares the same n54 engine as the 1M though! That excites me.

Some 335s came with a LSD as an option btw. Not many, and not the one I'm looking at, but it's good to know.
I highly doubt I'd push it hard enough on the roads to justify such an outlay anyway.

The FRS above looks sick!

DB.

BMW 440i
I just can't help but see the FRS as a chavved up old looking Focus. I know loads of people love it, but I'm not one.

335i touring
Viewing a 335i Saturday but I'm still very much in 2 minds.

It's going to be a battle of what decent example falls on my lap first.
I hadn't realised the 335i shares the same n54 engine as the 1M though! That excites me.

Some 335s came with a LSD as an option btw. Not many, and not the one I'm looking at, but it's good to know.
I highly doubt I'd push it hard enough on the roads to justify such an outlay anyway.

The FRS above looks sick!

Its not the exact same N54 as the 1M, it's around 30hp down on power but that can easily be upped. I've got a N54 135i so if you want any advice, fire away

Its not the exact same N54 as the 1M, it's around 30hp down on power but that can easily be upped. I've got a N54 135i so if you want any advice, fire away

What's different do you know?

As far as I was aware "1M's push more boost from the factory than a 135i (12-13psi compared to 7-8psi respectively), so that is why they make more power in stock form" but apart from that the engines are the same.

Z4
Update.

Had a viewing on said 335i today. Managed to get a very long test drive, the owner was sound.
Previously I thought this post would be saying that I've just put a deposit down on it, sadly not the case!

It looked like a fairly good example, manual, pro satnav, csl style wheels etc.

I'm not sure it has that drama that I like in a car.
Don't get me wrong, it's a very fast car, at one point the owner and I were chatting away, him driving, I assumed we were cruising at around 65-70mph, only to look at the speedo and realise we were effortlessly cruising along at 110mph..
Ive never felt anything quite like it. It's very torquey as I expected and there is fun to be had when going through the gears, but the noise was underwhelming and it just didn't have any real theatrics other than the actual speed your throwing yourself down the road at.
Easily as fast as by old e46 M3, but delivering the power in an alarmingly relaxed fashion.

If I drove the car to work and back everyday I wouldn't hesitate, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But as it's only for evenings and weekends, I just don't think it's an exciting enough package, which really is a shame :( When I factor in road tax (£475), and bmw warranty it's very hard to justify!

Getting back in the z4 undoubtedly felt more engaging to drive.

The hunt is back on! May have to drive an RS

Z4
Oh yeah, the focus totally looks like a chav wagon to some!

But that doesn't bother me, I've owned modified clios, you learn to laugh at morons in their mass produced Audis and VWs thinking they're having just as much fun as you. Everyone has different priorities with cars; some would compromise on driver involvement in favour for better build quality, others would rather drive a race car with a licence plate in little luxury.

DB.

BMW 440i
Aw bless him getting all defensive over the chav wagon. Just asked the mrs what she thinks "isn't it just an old focus with one of those bodykits on?"

Mechanically, it may be a fantastic car, but there's a reason alot of people describe it as a bit of a chav wagon, including a lot of the motoring magazines, Jeremy Clarkson etc etc etc

Focus RS mk1
Aw bless him getting all defensive over the chav wagon. Just asked the mrs what she thinks "isn't it just an old focus with one of those bodykits on?"

Mechanically, it may be a fantastic car, but there's a reason alot of people describe it as a bit of a chav wagon, including a lot of the motoring magazines, Jeremy Clarkson etc etc etc

Oh jemery clarkson said it, sh!t man must be true, sorry i see your point now

FRS
Jeremy Clarkson also said the 5 cylinder focus st was a chav wagon and blah blah, i haven't heard anything sound as good as the st on full chat, each to there own i couldnt buy something boring for £10,000-£20,000 knowing how quiet and boring it would be!

and as for the comments about bodykits and spoilers, remind me the difference of a 1.6 se golf to an r32? Oh yeah a different 'bodykit' you could say that about any car, an astra vxr is a basic astra shell with different bumpers..

Mk1 frs, £7,000 quaife, forged , becoming rare .. Bargain