ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

335i or FRS?

DB.

BMW 440i
Oh shizzle the spelling police...... you got me........yawn, just another day on clio sport

Lol it's actually like teasing a child, i'll stop now. Your lack of ability to construct a proper sentence doesn't exactly do your argument for the FRS not being a chav wagon any favours.

Z4
Worst argument ever.

One half of the argument referring to Jeremy Clarksons opinion for ammunition to fuel their debate.
The other saying an orange focus ST isn't chavvy because it sounds nice.

Good work boys. The more this argument goes on the more I'm getting put off the RS LOL.

My girlfriend doesn't see the appeal, it's just an old purple focus isn't it?

Lotus Elise
Try a 330i I much prefer the engine over the 335. More fun to drive and rev out plus it sounds better. Worth considering and more cultured than the forced induced variant.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
For the avoidance of doubt, I don't think a standard Mk1 Focus RS has ever been referred to as chav.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Try a 330i I much prefer the engine over the 335. More fun to drive and rev out plus it sounds better. Worth considering and more cultured than the forced induced variant.

Good point, always forget about the 330 in the new beemers.

You need to drive an FRS Chris, that'll make your mind up for you. They are chavvy as are most fast Fords but personally I couldn't care less about a car's image, all I care about is if it's looks decent and drives well which the Focus does very well in both departments IMO.

Focus RS mk1
For the avoidance of doubt, I don't think a standard Mk1 Focus RS has ever been referred to as chav.

Word on the street is JEREMY clarkson did! Imho coming from a bmw tech, the 335 is grown up, nice daily and 100% , take out some sort of insured warranty as it can save you lots of money if you do decide to have the bmw. The focus is a great car to hoon around in and a b road blast (aslong as you have a firm hold of the steering wheel) and also a great daily, more so than my 197 was! If the interior is a deciding factor then the bmw is definatly for you, but you wont care about the interior of the focus when your having more fun.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Omg Clarkson said it was Chav! He doesn't even take himself seriously! It's probsbly the most subtle RS ever made!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
The seats in a FRS do look a little Ripspeed. Any Fast Ford is a little chav tbh.

Clarkson can't be taken seriously though.

DB.

BMW 440i
I'm fairly sure the reference to Clarkson was one of a few sources who have called it chav, rather than the sole foundation of an argument. Even the FRS owners on their own forums mock themselves for the chaviness of the car, it's nothing new.

The seats in a FRS do look a little Ripspeed. Any Fast Ford is a little chav tbh.

Clarkson can't be taken seriously though.

This , every fast ford of its day has been the chav wagon of its day , essex man and his finest 4 legged accesesory have always yearned for then and then bought them when they devalue enough , see also every hot or warm vauxhaul since time in memorial .......

The cars may be good but the image never has been .

Trouble is the similar chav started buying vx220 and elises a while ago till values went back up .

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'll agree on any fast Ford being chav. But in my opinion that is part of the appeal.

Mine is £280 for 12 months.

It's a 135i though, but can't see how that makes much of a difference as the engine is the same.
Me neither!

Sounds like I should have come to that rolling road the other week, I've been looking at 135i's

Z4
Buy the 335i in the for sale section, it's actual sexwee.

Read post 67 bud.
It is beautiful though. Also an auto would make it more boring for me!

The road tax on a 335i is £475 a year ?? Never knew that.

Mine is £280 for 12 months.

It's a 135i though, but can't see how that makes much of a difference as the engine is the same.

Pre 57reg is in the higher bracket yeah, later cars tend to use the n55 single turbo which is better on emissions.

Id highly recommend test driving one before getting too excited. Very clinical I found.
As I said to my mate; The problem is, to make the car deploy power in an aggressive 'fun' manor you're going to need downpipes, duel cone induction, FMIC, remap etc which immediately voids any warranty which you'll inevitably need as they're notoriously unreliable (and expensive faults!). In standard guise they're unbelievably smooth and very quiet, doesn't feel boosted.

Pre 57reg is in the higher bracket yeah, later cars tend to use the n55 single turbo which is better on emissions. .

My car still has the twin turbo. N54 engine. 08 reg.

Also, I don't know what car you drove. Maybe the 3 series is completely different lol but mine is far from quiet and the power delivery could almost be described as brutal at times. It also likes to go sideways A LOT which makes it very exciting to drive, as you can feel the back end twitching and jumping all over the place.

Also what do you find unreliable about them? Apart from the HPFP issue which is the main one. Can't think of one other common fault. I know there's a guy on here that had problems with his turbos but that's a one off and can happen to any car.

The 335i engine is ridiculously de-tuned from the factory which makes levels on components much much lower.

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Read post 67 bud.
It is beautiful though. Also an auto would make it more boring for me!

Interesting...! I think you and I seek the same things in a car, the reason I couldn't get on with my three series, but can with my z4.

Thought about a z4mc?? Good ones are literally losing no money at the moment, and I think it looks different enough from your current motor to be a change. It'll definitely have the 'feeling' you're looking for?

Z4

Also, I don't know what car you drove. Maybe the 3 series is completely different lol but mine is far from quiet and the power delivery could almost be described as brutal at times. It also likes to go sideways A LOT which makes it very exciting to drive, as you can feel the back end twitching and jumping all over the place.

Also what do you find unreliable about them? Apart from the HPFP issue which is the main one. Can't think of one other common fault. I know there's a guy on here that had problems with his turbos but that's a one off and can happen to any car.

The 335i engine is ridiculously de-tuned from the factory which makes levels on components much much lower.

I think the emissions were toned down on the facelift in 57.

That one.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../100/onesearchad/used,nearlynew,new?logcode=p

It just felt like a far too well mannered car lol, I will have to drive a jb4d model but it just didn't excite. It'd have to be an M3 I think.

I don't see how you can argue their reliability.
These cars need warranty, and if they don't you've either got big testies or lots of money, in which case you should have bought something better in the first place.

Interesting...! I think you and I seek the same things in a car, the reason I couldn't get on with my three series, but can with my z4.

Thought about a z4mc?? Good ones are literally losing no money at the moment, and I think it looks different enough from your current motor to be a change. It'll definitely have the 'feeling' you're looking for?

Ive driven a Z4M (albeit roadster) and didn't really rate it which surprised me. The z4s chassis didn't handle it as well as my old 46, and I'd like to experience something new tbh, the Z4MC does look superb though.

My mate is coincidently texted me saying he's potentially selling his FRS, so that's an option.

335i touring
The difference between a jb4'd n54 and a standard one is night and day. Regarding the warranty, you shouldn't really need one if the major problems have already been addressed. Major problem only being the turbos really. I can also confirm the jb4 is undetectable once removed ie warranty purposes

Hense my question. What else makes them un-reliable?

Apart from one off problems which can happen with any car.

Genuine question. Do tell me.

Myself and two good friends have the 35i engine. And none of us have had any problems. Apart from a fuel pump which I had replaced under warranty.

Z4

Hense my question. What else makes them un-reliable?

Apart from one off problems which can happen with any car.

Genuine question. Do tell me.

Myself and two good friends have the 35i engine. And none of us have had any problems. Apart from a fuel pump which I had replaced under warranty.

Exactly.

Heres a list lifted from e90post.

Replacing Injectors:
Symptoms: Mis-fire & jerking
Part (each): $ 387 ea.
Labor hr: 3 hours job plus coding hours
Total Cost: $ 2950 dealship cost to replace all 6

2. Ignition Coils:
Symptoms: Jumping RPM

3. Oil Filter Housing Gasket:
Symptoms: Oil spot in housing area
Total Cost: $ 800

4. High Pressure Fuel Pump:
Symptoms: Half engine SES, lost power

5. Low Pressure Fuel Pump:
Symptoms: It start and then idle then die. CODE 2AAF
Part: $ 345
Labor hr: $ 400
Total Cost: $ 745

6. Transmission Oil Pan Leak:
Symptoms: Oil spot on floor (mid section) after three days of non-driving
Labor hr: 3
Total Cost: $ 1800

7. Door actuator:
Symptoms: Doors will not unlock and vise versa.

8. Software update:
Symptoms: Jerky transmission....& etc.

9. O2 Sensor:
Symptoms: Poor gas mileage & check engine light
Parts: $ 149.00
Labor hr: 1
Total Cost: $ 220

10a. Wastegate Rattle:
Symptoms: Pinging noise on load
Parts: $ 1,500 for 2x turbos (getbmwparts.com)
Labor hr: 12 ~ 16
Total Cost: $ 3,000 ~ 4,000

10b. Wastegate Rattle:
Symptoms: Pinging noise on load
Parts: $ 300 for new actuator and rings and gastkets
Labor hr: 12 ~ 16
Total Cost: $ 2,158

11. B+ Cable burn/discolor
Symptoms: Car would not start w/battery still good

12. Water pump and thermostat:
Symptoms: Yellow coolant warning, BT code: 2E81 & 2E82 and/or overheat
Parts: $ 875 for both ?
Labor hr: 2 1/2
Total Cost: $ 1,200

13. HID leveler
Symptoms: Light pointing down and would not adjust
Total Cost: $ 1,000

14. Transfer Case
Symptoms: whining/whistling (clunking) noise
Total Cost: $ 2,960

15. A/C Evaporator
Symptoms: A/C is not cooling enough (ie. showing 65F in temp gauge on 60F setting on HAV)
Parts: $ 300 (+/-)
Labor hr: 10 (needs to remove dash board)
Total Cost: $ 3,600

16. Walnut blasting
Labor: $ 865
Part: 26
Total: $ 891

17. DSC Malfunction:
Symptoms: Error messages on Idrive or head display
Parts: $ 15 (rubber hose to brake)
Labor hr: 1
Total Cost: $ 144.00

18. Cracked Radiator:
Symptoms: Leaking coolant
Total Cost: $ 1100 + tax

19. Charge Pipe Cracked:
Symptoms: surging throttle & boost codes.
Parts: $ 249
Labor hr: 2
Total Cost: $ 600

20. Valve cover gasket replacement:
Symptoms: Oil spots around engine & vacuum leak.
Total Cost: $ 1097

21. Restraint system malfunction:
Symptoms: Either Airbag light on, Seatbelt light on Or "restraint sys malfunction" in I-drive.

Turbos are also prone to going, lots of online reports. It's not worth going in bareback, warranty is mandatory IMO. These aren't cheap one off repairs!

Also, the one I viewed had a CCC (old style) professional I drive. It's fairly pointless dated tech. If I looked at getting one again I wouldn't bother with that!

Ad

MK2 FRS
Chris seem although your head wanted to choose the 335i, you keep swaying towards the FRS on both excitement and running cost. I had a similar debate with a different budget recently.

Had 20 - 23k and wanted:
- Good value retention
- No significant scares on repairs
- Fuel economy wasn't an issue
- Want something to feel special and really enjoy driving - maybe the occasional trackday
- Something I could get in drive everyday without feeling a chore or too much of comprimise

Shortlist ended up as:
MK2 FRS
E90/2 M3
Exige
VXT (Cheaper budget, but talked myself into running it as third car, had a company car C Class estate and a TT 3.2 v6 at time)
135i (Again cheaper - new the Mrs would love it).
WE92 335i

Time after time I came back to the RS, but didn't want to do it , image was an issue and I could not find the right car with mileage/price. All the good ones seem to be UG which I wasn't sure about and the Mrs detested. I was also worried about perception, I work in outsourcing primarily for the public sector - clients can be pretty judgemental!

In the end I found a low mileage PB, which I've had it for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love it, every time I get in it, it feels special somehow. Yes its just a focus, and rattley one, our merc is so much more refined and advanced, but yet it is so much more than that - I haven't yet had any negative comments and I am surprised, my main client who is in his late 60s cant wait for a run out in it!! Only danger with both the Mk1 and Mk2 is the modding bug I am already planning stage 2!

I am not sure I have felt so excited about owning car since my 172 when I was 21! :approve: Even the Mrs has grown to like it even with the "that stupid wing"

So I would say go for the FRS

Last edited:
  Z4
Chris seem although your head wanted to choose the 335i, you keep swaying towards the FRS on both excitement and running cost. I had a similar debate with a different budget recently.

Had 20 - 23k and wanted:
- Good value retention
- No significant scares on repairs
- Fuel economy wasn't an issue
- Want something to feel special and really enjoy driving - maybe the occasional trackday
- Something I could get in drive everyday without feeling a chore or too much of comprimise

Shortlist ended up as:
MK2 FRS
E90/2 M3
Exige
VXT (Cheaper budget, but talked myself into running it as third car, had a company car C Class estate and a TT 3.2 v6 at time)
135i (Again cheaper - new the Mrs would love it).
WE92 335i

Time after time I came back to the RS, but didn't want to do it , image was an issue and I could not find the right car with mileage/price. All the good ones seem to be UG which I wasn't sure about and the Mrs detested. I was also worried about perception, I work in outsourcing primarily for the public sector - clients can be pretty judgemental!

In the end I found a low mileage PB, which I've had it for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love it, every time I get in it, it feels special somehow. Yes its just a focus, and rattley one, our merc is so much more refined and advanced, but yet it is so much more than that - I haven't yet had any negative comments and I am surprised, my main client who is in his late 60s cant wait for a run out in it!! Only danger with both the Mk1 and Mk2 is the modding bug I am already planning stage 2!

I am not sure I have felt so excited about owning car since my 172 when I was 21! :approve: Even the Mrs has grown to like it even with the "that stupid wing"

So I would say go for the FRS

Good choice on the PB rs!
Im going to have a blast in my mates fettled with Mk1 when I get a chance, it makes more sense for the miles I actually travel.

Theres actually no reason for wanting a new car, my z4 does it all so well! I just fancy a change.