ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

27"...

A silver one
Looks like another fabulous piece of Apple kit, but much more than I would ever require.

In your opinion would the 'base' £1378 27" iMac be enough for browsing, downloading, music, movies, etc?

I was planning on getting a 15" MBP, but I'm now swaying towards a 27" iMac and an iPad.

Also in your opinion is the Apple refurb kit 'pukka'?

182 Cup
I've got the base model with core 2 duo and its sound, games are running quite well, downloading/music etc you'll have no bother with.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
27"s are lush. Walk into any Apple store and they just dwarf every other iMac in there.

Awesome bit of kit.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Looks like another fabulous piece of Apple kit, but much more than I would ever require.

In your opinion would the 'base' £1378 27" iMac be enough for browsing, downloading, music, movies, etc?

I was planning on getting a 15" MBP, but I'm now swaying towards a 27" iMac and an iPad.

If you're only doing basic stuff, ANY newish Mac will be fine. You could get away with a Mac Mini to do all that stuff TBH. The only downsides are that you'd need a separate monitor and it might struggle to play 1080p video depending on how old it is.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Chris - what benefit does this have over your laptop bar the bigger screen? Is it 'better'?

Megane
Chris - what benefit does this have over your laptop bar the bigger screen? Is it 'better'?

CPU, Graphics, Memory, Hard Drive Capacity and Speed, Screen Size, Sound quality.

I would have got one of these along time ago, but I really want one with a BluRay drive!

Plus I can't justify the cost when I can just plug in a monitor to my MBP

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Refurbished units are as good as new. I'd have had this as a refurb, if they had one in the spec I needed.

A 27" iMac and an iPad is a bit of a step up from a MBP on it's own. LOL.

27"s are lush. Walk into any Apple store and they just dwarf every other iMac in there.

Awesome bit of kit.

Yeah. I've wanted one since I first saw one at the Trafford Centre ages ago. It just dwarfs everything. Me included.

If you're only doing basic stuff, ANY newish Mac will be fine. You could get away with a Mac Mini to do all that stuff TBH. The only downsides are that you'd need a separate monitor and it might struggle to play 1080p video depending on how old it is.

Bingo. Like you say, a MacMini would do just fine for those tasks.

But then you could say that my old 24" iMac did the job well, for me. But nothing convinces you like a 27" in the store, staring at you. :eek:

My MBP is really well-specced. Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD and dual graphics cards. It's the screen that limits it for what I use it for. That's why I've bought a 24" LED display for it. :eek: Pick it up on Monday.

The 27" is in a different league though. i7 Quad Core is silly quick. 8GB RAM. 512MB VRAM. 1TB HDD. And that's before you get to the display. For my graphics work, screen size is everything, so this is perfect for me.

It make browsing CS in full screen mode hilarious though. I can view all the forums on one page. :cool:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Is there anyway to sync you mbp with this chris? So you have same music/ files etc. Also how do you go about backing up?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I used Migration Assistant to sync the two. It copies everything... bookmarks, pictures, files, music... everything.

As for backup, I used a 1TB Apple Time Capsule to sync both wirelessly. Works a treat.

fiesta 1.25
Looks awsome, don't think i've had a proper look at one in the Apple store but even the 21.5" looks big to me. For me though i don't see why its needed (I'm getting like my dad)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's needed because of what I use it for.

I can now have two print documents open side by side, and when I get CS5, it'll be even better! Makes multiple tasks really easy!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
27" will live at the office. MBP will be at home, hooked up to the 24" Cinema Display.

Best of both.

14' Leon Cupra 280
^ Sounds a perfect setup to me. I'm hoping for a MBP end of the year, simply as I only see clients a few times a week and couldn't warrant one at the moment. I was thinking of the MBP/24" Cinema Display instead of the 27" iMac, but iMac won :)

When I started freelance last year, I took the cheaper option of a Dell + a 24" monitor, was a financial choice as I didn't want huge outlays in 1st year, however last year was better than I predicted so have given myself a present!

14' Leon Cupra 280
Haha - it's not about the computer, with designers it's about the atmosphere of the room...i bet Christopher has been on deskography.org a few times!

I don't want to take anything away from the purchase, but you do realise it will seem normal in a few weeks, dont you? :D

Bloody TVs & monitors. Always the same. Never big enough :(

A silver one
Refurbished units are as good as new. I'd have had this as a refurb, if they had one in the spec I needed.

A 27" iMac and an iPad is a bit of a step up from a MBP on it's own. LOL.

The problem is that I really fancy the iPad, but is seems pointless buying one as well as a MBP.

Wouldn't it be better having an iMac as my 'main' unit and the iPad for browsing on the shitter?

14' Leon Cupra 280
Didn't think it was going to come today, got to 4:45 and lost hope lol. Still not bad for 26 hours after ordering. Still need my current PC whilst I get it setup, so that will be going soon. Oh and my iPhone stand works well now!

Anyway pic for Christopher:

imac.jpg

14' Leon Cupra 280
I knew someone would mention it :( It's my sisters old room, never got round to changing it, but I will soon!