ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2016 Audi RS3

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Does it just pop/crackle more?
Slightly deeper and louder. Few more crackles on un shifts. Really goes loud after 4krpm too.

Still deciding if it and the magnetic dampers were worth £995 more though!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Can't remember your situation but if you will be selling it rather than handing it back then defo worth it!
This ones on straight HP so yeah, optioning it up seemed to be a good idea.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Call from York Audi:

Fuel rail and fuel pressure reg are both faulty. New parts coming from Germany along with some engineers from RennSport/Audi to try and work out what happened.

Turns out my RS3 is one of the highest mileage 2016 customers cars out there.

They were also surprised at my highest recorded speed... damn ECU's recording everything....

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Call from York Audi:

Fuel rail and fuel pressure reg are both faulty. New parts coming from Germany along with some engineers from RennSport/Audi to try and work out what happened.

Turns out my RS3 is one of the highest mileage 2016 customers cars out there.

They were also surprised at my highest recorded speed... damn ECU's recording everything....
LOL

Care to share..? How did that conversation go?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
LOL

Care to share..? How did that conversation go?

LOL ok,

Just to make you aware Mr Waite, the ECU in the car records and stores all peak parameters, so we can diagnose the root of issues which are deemed unusual. Your car indicated to us that the launch control function has being activated 32 times, while an activation doesn't indicate a launch has taken place, your figure is still above average. Also on a side note the highest record speed you have driven this vehicle at was 167mph which is one of the highest we've seen. While a 155mph limiter is in place, sometimes the car will allow extra speed above this level if operating conditions are right, we suggest if you plan on driving the car at this rate that extra checks are done regarding fuel quality and tyre condition and load rating.

It was a very polite telling off with a whiff of stop taking the piss with our warranty about it.

330i. E30 Touring.
Hahah!

If they supply a car capable of those functions, then it should be able to be used.

Trying to tell engineers that at McL when i worked there was fun. They just wouldn't accept that not everybody has the mechanical sympathy as the person who designed the system and wanted it to do well. lol.

LMAO thats's brilliant. Im unsurprised yours is the highest mileage one around and as such the guinea pig and its good to see them pulling out the stops to find out what happened for the future.
I also like the fact that instead of being all 'OMG you did what' they simply advise ensuring it has the correct tyres and fuel in it 😂

BMW M4; S1000 RR
With these new era of cars, mechanical sympathy becomes less and less of an issue.

No manual gearbox, everything is electronic and automated- if they wanted to stop you being able to use launch control X amount of times they could, if they wanted to void warranty they could easily put a menu in the car "If you use Launch control X more times then you will void your gearbox warranty" etc etc.

Sounds like an epic car though. Surprised at the mileage thing, you're the only person in the country using it one for business mileage?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
^The only known one. You could have someone with 11k miles on one already, it just hasn't come in for service yet.
There will be MY15 launch cars with higher mileage. Mine will probably be the highest mileage MY16 car at a guess. Its done 600 miles a week since collection.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
LOL ok,

Just to make you aware Mr Waite, the ECU in the car records and stores all peak parameters, so we can diagnose the root of issues which are deemed unusual. Your car indicated to us that the launch control function has being activated 32 times, while an activation doesn't indicate a launch has taken place, your figure is still above average. Also on a side note the highest record speed you have driven this vehicle at was 167mph which is one of the highest we've seen. While a 155mph limiter is in place, sometimes the car will allow extra speed above this level if operating conditions are right, we suggest if you plan on driving the car at this rate that extra checks are done regarding fuel quality and tyre condition and load rating.

It was a very polite telling off with a whiff of stop taking the piss with our warranty about it.
Good effort tbh.

I like the jibe about you blatantly putting asda special fuel in it.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Ha ha, excellent response from Audi!!
Reminds me of my boss mentioning to Mercedes that his e63 was making a loud thunk when changing from 5-6th at the limiter, they queried how the hell he knew that as the car was only delivered the previous day 😂 Apparently his response of "following a friends California down the M6 toll" was frowned upon.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ha ha, excellent response from Audi!!
Reminds me of my boss mentioning to Mercedes that his e63 was making a loud thunk when changing from 5-6th at the limiter, they queried how the hell he knew that as the car was only delivered the previous day 😂 Apparently his response of "following a friends California down the M6 toll" was frowned upon.
LOL

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
This does lower RPM @ 80 than the Golf does at 70! No wonder it gets such good MPG!

70 = 2500
80 = 3000

Also lol @ the peak figures. The machine would melt if my R went near it 😂
3000 @ 80 would do my nut in. I spend my life in the outside lane. I still feel the RS3 needs and 8th cog to do 80 at sub 2000 rpm.

Thats proper diesel RPM that, the bora is 2000@70 and ~2300 at 80 in 6th. They've obviously managed to combine a decent capacity and some modern turbo tech to get decent torque waaaay down the rev range so it can cruise happily at thos revs and pull from them without needing a downshift.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
This does lower RPM @ 80 than the Golf does at 70! No wonder it gets such good MPG!

70 = 2500
80 = 3000

Also lol @ the peak figures. The machine would melt if my R went near it 😂
Its worse in the manual! 80 is about 3500ish iirc. And yeah that machine wouldn't like mine either.
Its shite mpg after mapping too...i did a 350mile run at the weekend, all motorway and managed 28mpg. Gay.
Its because they run so lean as standard.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Thats proper diesel RPM that, the bora is 2000@70 and ~2300 at 80 in 6th. They've obviously managed to combine a decent capacity and some modern turbo tech to get decent torque waaaay down the rev range so it can cruise happily at thos revs and pull from them without needing a downshift.
Yeah it makes 343lb/ft from 1650rpm officially.

Mine is closer to 355lb/ft at that point.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
3000 @ 80 would do my nut in. I spend my life in the outside lane. I still feel the RS3 needs and 8th cog to do 80 at sub 2000 rpm.
Slightly off the original topic, I drove a Chrysler 200 last year. 9 speed auto, did about 1800rpm at 80. Great fro cruising. Terrible for everything else. Constantly in the wrong gear every other time.

Leon Cupra 300
On a more boring note...

It's a good reminder why mapping new cars isn't a good idea.

Even these tuning boxes etc, I simply don't belive the manufacturer won't know.. The ecu must record increased boost (and no doubt 100's of other parameters) that are different to factory settings, no matter how the cars fooled into delivering them.

If this was the case in this case, I think you'd be on your own with a big bill!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
On a more boring note...

Even these tuning boxes etc, I simply don't belive the manufacturer won't know.. The ecu must record increased boost (and no doubt 100's of other parameters) that are different to factory settings, no matter how the cars fooled into delivering them.

If this was the case in this case, I think you'd be on your own with a big bill!
100%

If this was mapped, I'd be shitting bricks right now...

Plus mapping on this would only get me another 20bhp so not worth it really.

Leon Cupra 300
Yeah. At some point cars are just fast enough.

My 5 has 370hp and even 18 months in I never really feel like it's lacking, but I never really leave B roads, and never find myself in a 'race' situation where someone's mapped Golf R will set off like f**k to the 30mph speed limit!

Still, my next one will share its engine with your F Type!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
On a more boring note...

Exactly. I tried saying that in the golf R thread about tuning boxes. It's easy enough for them to see.

Waitey, I've missed it. How many miles have you done already?

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Yeah. At some point cars are just fast enough.

My 5 has 370hp and even 18 months in I never really feel like it's lacking, but I never really leave B roads, and never find myself in a 'race' situation where someone's mapped Golf R will set off like f**k to the 30mph speed limit!

Still, my next one will share its engine with your F Type!
You buying an SVR??

Countryman JCW
LOL ok,

@Paprika123 i wonder if VW will be able to see how many times you've launched your car, and all the other fun things you've done in the Golf since taking delivery 😂

@Paprika123 i wonder if VW will be able to see how many times you've launched your car, and all the other fun things you've done in the Golf since taking delivery 😂
I was on the phone to my mate this morning about getting it on ODIS to see what comes up as I can't find it in VCDS but he says it can be checked.

Watch this space

Leon Cupra 300
Awesome buses. My boss replaced his XFR with a Macan S and hates his decision.

Cheers mate. It won't be till Jan/Feb till I get one unfortunately, I need to save up a few more quid before can get into one. I normally have 50/50 cash/loan in a car and I'm not quite there yet!

I think I'll put mine up for sale in the next few weeks as now I know what I want I'm kind of over it, as awesome as it still is!