ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Pros and Cons

Fiesta ST-3
Re: 197 Pro's and Con's

Agree totally. They can feel a bit flat below 5k especially coming form a 172 Cup, these make peak power above 6k iirc, so need to be revved ;)

I've had 2 197's, my current an 08 Cup

Love them to be fair, and I've had x2 172 cups and a 182 previously.

I've had a play against a couple of 172's are they are pretty even in a drag. Infact i did pull past a 172 Cup a few years ago, so they certainly aint slow as mantioned in previous threads. Build is much better, sound much better out the box. Gear box is ace (as long as you dont have a duffer)

Best thing to check on a test drive is shift from 2nd to 3rd on a test drive ABOVE 5k. This tends to show any gearbox problems up.

I dont agree with actis solution fixing cold bunny hopping. I had one installed on my 06 197 and it was ok for a week or so, then reverted back somehow. My 08 plate Cup also suffers. Early cars suffer AC/Climate problems also. Remember early cars are coming up to Camblt time, not as bad of a job as a 172 as more room. 36k service includes plugs.

Can you explain this to me mate?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

The Renault 'fix' thats been mentioned earlier in the thread. Didn't work on my older 06 197, and supposedly all 08 cars had this installed from the factory, yet my cup bunny hops like f**k for a few mins until warm. Bit like you're 172 runs a bit w**k first thing (if you have stock map). Its like that, but 90% worse. Comes on all 197's as standard ;)

Oh, and Nimbus is w**k, looks brown 99% of the time in the UK, this is the best colour by a mile!

DSC04809.jpg

Ghey, why has that come out small?! Fist time i've added a pic with the new forum :(

Last edited:

Comes on all 197's as standard ;)
And on 200's. Flat spot and the bunny hopping is terrible on first start up, especially if you haven't drove it for a couple days.
If the 197's are the same as the 200, then the flat spot is bad around the 2-2500rpm. MPG was also a massive drop for me, coming from the 172.
It never fails to put a smile on your face on a run out though. Awesome cars. In another league than the 1*2's imo.

Fiesta ST-3

And on 200's. Flat spot and the bunny hopping is terrible on first start up, especially if you haven't drove it for a couple days.
If the 197's are the same as the 200, then the flat spot is bad around the 2-2500rpm. MPG was also a massive drop for me, coming from the 172.
It never fails to put a smile on your face on a run out though. Awesome cars. In another league than the 1*2's imo.

Did you own one Paul? If you did I'm not getting one now.

Fiesta ST-3

The Renault 'fix' thats been mentioned earlier in the thread. Didn't work on my older 06 197, and supposedly all 08 cars had this installed from the factory, yet my cup bunny hops like f**k for a few mins until warm. Bit like you're 172 runs a bit w**k first thing (if you have stock map). Its like that, but 90% worse. Comes on all 197's as standard ;)

Oh, and Nimbus is w**k, looks brown 99% of the time in the UK, this is the best colour by a mile!

View attachment 61312

Ghey, why has that come out small?! Fist time i've added a pic with the new forum :(

Very nice mate. They remind me a lot of the Corsa VXR's mind.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Its 98% same car bar the 200 had a face down, rather than a face lift

;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Never!! ;)

it is the same car bar a few refinements.... 200's even have a set of pat butchers earrings hanging off the diffuser for bling ;)

Better gearing on the 200, more focused cup set up, cupped rack is the biggest difference imo but meh, they are 172 > 182. Fack all 90% of the time. I'd even put good money on them being pretty equal on track

Clio 1970000000

Short answers:

Flat spot is there between 2-2.5K revs. I quite like it so when I hit 3k revs it feels like boost :p. The real power is above 6k so you have to wring its neck and that is precisely why I bought it. It is such a laugh to drive.

Get the Brembos serviced every year. This is mandatory.

Never had a problem with the gearbox and don't have a single rattle. My car has the original ratios so yes it isn't the best motorway car but the ratios I have are perfectly matched to the engine. No complaints from me.

I went for non cup suspension (having asked the same questions in my first post here) and the ride is more compliant than any other hot hatch I have driven yet can still rinse almost anything on a bend.

25MPG most of the time (fun miles), just over 30MPG on the motorway.

Nimbus is the classiest colour. The end.

Mine kangeroos down the road with the best of them but this dissapears within a half mile.

Ah I suppose. I sold mine at about the time it needed new pads and discs so never got that far

Clio 1970000000

Since when did the brembos need annual servicing???

My Brembo's were fcuked when I bought the car and very luckily got them replaced under warranty (2 weeks before it ran out :D). Now they get stripped and cleaned every year. Interestingly, when my mechanic serviced my car last year he said that Renault hadn't put any copper grease on the brakes so it was only a matter of time before they seized again. There are the preverbial anchors now.

Fiesta ST-3

Short answers:

Flat spot is there between 2-2.5K revs. I quite like it so when I hit 3k revs it feels like boost :p. The real power is above 6k so you have to wring its neck and that is precisely why I bought it. It is such a laugh to drive.

Get the Brembos serviced every year. This is mandatory.

Never had a problem with the gearbox and don't have a single rattle. My car has the original ratios so yes it isn't the best motorway car but the ratios I have are perfectly matched to the engine. No complaints from me.

I went for non cup suspension (having asked the same questions in my first post here) and the ride is more compliant than any other hot hatch I have driven yet can still rinse almost anything on a bend.

25MPG most of the time (fun miles), just over 30MPG on the motorway.

Nimbus is the classiest colour. The end.

Mine kangeroos down the road with the best of them but this dissapears within a half mile.

Cheers mate. Thats a real beneficial post.

I've come from a 182 to my R27. Took me a year to even like the car. It just felt too grown up, smooth, better built and didn't handle like a go-kart like the 182 did. Once I began pushing it and went on a few runs with other Clios, found that I could keep up with them and actually my R 27 was more planted in corners than some 1*2s. Was shocked when I went to Surrey Rolling Road and found out that my car had been re mapped and was putting out 208.8 bhp. So would definitely recommend getting it chipped. The only other mod I have is an ITG Panel filter.

Like others I have the Kangaroo cold start which I suppose is a bonus as it stops you from caning it when cold. After five minutes no kangaroo. The flat spot between 2000-2500 is also there and I've got a standard exhaust.

18 months on now I love the R27 far more than my old 182 and am now no longer hankering to change it. Yes it drinks petrol at 23.5 mpg but other running costs are good. Tyres are cheaper and more choices available. I'll have to do the cambelt next year but again prices are same as a 182.

If you get an R27, as others have said, check the gear box, service history and the Recaros. Apparantly, according to Renault, holes in seats are normal wear and tear and are now no longer covered under the warranty.

Mini Cooper S sport

Fugly!?

The 197 is a great-looking car, especially the R27. IMO of course. Much prefer its looks to the 200.

260% JCW

Never!! ;)

it is the same car bar a few refinements.... 200's even have a set of pat butchers earrings hanging off the diffuser for bling ;)

Better gearing on the 200, more focused cup set up, cupped rack is the biggest difference imo but meh, they are 172 > 182. Fack all 90% of the time. I'd even put good money on them being pretty equal on track

172 = 182 >197 < 200

260% JCW

I wouldn't say the 197 was ugly - just lacking in the speed department.

My old cup;

IMG_1544.jpg

This....... for me the 197 was great in the corners but didn't seem as nippy/eager (Lardy in fact). Also who gives a toss about build quality. At the end of the day it's a cheap French hatch which in a few years time will be just like the 1*2's i.e worth f**k all. This is why we spent our cash on something else, Until Renault sort the looks out I wont be buying another RS Clio.

White clique

I dont get why people always go on about the 197 lacking in speed. In the real world in a straight line yes its maybe 0.2 seconds slower 0-60, but i though CS didnt care about 0-60??? It also has 6 gears so no surprise it needs a bit more work and revving to get it to perform the same.

And as we all know, around a track the 197 will pwn the 182/172s on braking and handling, so around a track there is hardly anything in it. But all of a sudden braking and handling isnt important, whats important is that the 182/172s always remain better than a 197 in the eyes of the majority of CS :rolleyes:

Fiesta ST-3

I dont get why people always go on about the 197 lacking in speed. In the real world in a straight line yes its maybe 0.2 seconds slower 0-60, but i though CS didnt care about 0-60??? It also has 6 gears so no surprise it needs a bit more work and revving to get it to perform the same.

And as we all know, around a track the 197 will pwn the 182/172s on braking and handling, so around a track there is hardly anything in it. But all of a sudden braking and handling isnt important, whats important is that the 182/172s always remain better than a 197 in the eyes of the majority of CS :rolleyes:

Probably because the majority of C/S users own 1*2's mate. But I get your point.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

I got raped in my 197 by Daz81 on here in his mk2 172.

I've had 3 x 172s, 1 x 182 and 1 x 197 so I feel justified in saying that on a day to day basis the 197 is not as quick as a 172/182. I never tracked any of the cars so can't comment on track performance.

260% JCW

Not all of us live on the track though, real world every day the 197 seemed big and underpowered IMO.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Don't get it? How can they seem 'underpowered in the real world'

Underpowered compared to what? I've had 3 Mk2 RS's btw........ They feel no different pottering about say to an EP3?

White clique

I got raped in my 197 by Daz81 on here in his mk2 172.

I've had 3 x 172s, 1 x 182 and 1 x 197 so I feel justified in saying that on a day to day basis the 197 is not as quick as a 172/182. I never tracked any of the cars so can't comment on track performance.

I've had all 3 too for a number of years, the difference i notice is obviously the power curve, but with the 197 you are talking about a more refined car which takes away the rawness making it feel slower - my current car is way faster than a 197 but feels the same because its more refined. In the same way i've been in an original mini with some tweeks that felt like it could piss all over a 172 when it couldn't. They are all basically about the same 172, 182 197 whatever, there is and always has been f**k all in it really.

Not all of us live on the track though, real world every day the 197 seemed big and underpowered IMO.

In which case why would it matter if it felt under powered if you are driving it in a traffic jam?

260% JCW

Don't get it? How can they seem 'underpowered in the real world'

Underpowered compared to what? I've had 3 Mk2 RS's btw........ They feel no different pottering about say to an EP3?

"Ive had 3" WOW.

I'm not talking about pottering about in traffic, more along the lines of a good road you know well. And this is all my Opinion by the way.

The R27 197 I borrowed for the weekend looked great and handled well it just seemed huge compared to the 1*2 that I was going to trade in. You had to work it to get it to go. The 1*2 for me was alot more eager/Raw.

260% JCW

I've had all 3 too for a number of years, the difference i notice is obviously the power curve, but with the 197 you are talking about a more refined car which takes away the rawness making it feel slower - my current car is way faster than a 197 but feels the same because its more refined. In the same way i've been in an original mini with some tweeks that felt like it could piss all over a 172 when it couldn't. They are all basically about the same 172, 182 197 whatever, there is and always has been f**k all in it really.

In which case why would it matter if it felt under powered if you are driving it in a traffic jam?

Who said anything about a traffic jam?....:clown:

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26

The only downside I felt with my old 197 is that it felt like a tank!

(And the fact that the clutch went after 3k and the seats were wearing at that milage too) Friday car though, so its all good :eek: