ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Cup vs Trophy - PC Mag's long-termer opinions?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
"The 197 Cup really is a great car, but the Trophy is a brilliant one."

Anyone else agree with this? I'd really like to hear of Trophy owners who have switched to the 197 Cup (or maybe vice versa?) Which one is/was better to drive? Lee - where are you? :cool:

Not arsed in the slightest about better build quality, better cabin, etc (yawn) - just purely on the drive. The article says ".....was like the car (197 Cup) needed to be ten-tenths to provoke the kind of reaction and feedback that the Trophy does at seven-tenths. I was, I'll admit it, smitten with the old timer."

Does the Trophy really have the edge?

D.

clio trophy No56
I have a Trophy and my mate has a R27, which is basically the cup.
I would say the Trophy is very slightly quicker but not much, it also gives more feed back than the R27, on a twisty road the R27 keeps up with the Trophy no probs, could be that my mate is a better driver than me and something to do with the huge Brembos it has on it!
The Trophy is just feels much more involved, which i like, when you stick it in a corner you just know its going to grip and go around the corner with ease. Not saying the R27 doesnt do this coz it does handle well, just as well as the Trophy but it just feels like its missing something.
Its quite awsome what difference the Sachs dampers make compared to the ones on a normal 182.
The speed is quite deceptive in the R27, your going fast but done realise it, and it does feel planted to the road, in the Trophy you know your going fast but its also feels very planted.
If i was buying a car now i would still pick the Trophy over the R27.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Trophys are special i think.

Maybe if renault comit to a hardcore version of the 197 it will be better

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I have a Trophy and my mate has a R27, which is basically the cup.
I would say the Trophy is very slightly quicker but not much, it also gives more feed back than the R27, on a twisty road the R27 keeps up with the Trophy no probs, could be that my mate is a better driver than me and something to do with the huge Brembos it has on it!
The Trophy is just feels much more involved, which i like, when you stick it in a corner you just know its going to grip and go around the corner with ease. Not saying the R27 doesnt do this coz it does handle well, just as well as the Trophy but it just feels like its missing something.
Its quite awsome what difference the Sachs dampers make compared to the ones on a normal 182.
The speed is quite deceptive in the R27, your going fast but done realise it, and it does feel planted to the road, in the Trophy you know your going fast but its also feels very planted.
If i was buying a car now i would still pick the Trophy over the R27.

Good summary there, Scott. :) It's more or less what the guys in PC mag are saying. Without doubt, I prefer the looks of the Mk2 car, but if the 197 Cup was better than the Trophy to drive, then that's something I could overlook.

I've only ever sat in both cars, never driven them. But I really would be torn between a 197 Cup and a 182 Trophy if they were side by side and cost the same. Sense would say for me to pick the 197, but I'm sure my heart would be after the Trophy.

D.

MCS R56
Not driven either but it would appear that the Trophy is 'the' Clio to date.

No sorry, 'tis the Cup!

I've never driven a Trophy, but I've driven a standard 197 and the grip & stabilty made my 182Cup feel like a trifle. The 197 I drove definitely did feel slower than my 182, whether it was or not is moot. Amazing car though - I had the back out on my first test drive :eek:

I'm sure the Trophy is fantastic but it would be the 197Cup for me all day long :approve:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I just love limited editions, so would be Trophy for me, although... R27 ftw :cool:

What about the Trophy Vs. V6 in terms of being 'special'?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The 197 owners will all say the 197 is better, and it will be for them, hence them buying it. The 197 wasn't for me, hence I bought (then sold) a Trophy, but getting an honest, unbiased opinion on here? No chance.
The Trophy had everything thrown at it from a suspension development point of view, and the 182 was already the best hot hatch on sale at that point. Regardless of what suspension they throw at the 197, it still needs to either shed some pounds or gain some power.

b/g 182, meg tourer
the 197 has a very good stable chassis.
the trophy has a great suspension setup.
the trophy is faster in a straight line.
how would they do on track?
i would rather have the 197 tho

182 Trophy (#27/500)
i own a trophy and have tried an r27. R27 is numb in comparison. big, bulky and it feels it when driving it in all conditions. trophy is light, nimble and very capable.

Turbo LY R27
^^^ The 197 is not as big and bulky as people make out its, easily as chuckable as the 182. I used to own a 182 and the i dont notice the weight thing.

What about a 197cup vs 182cup?

If the 197 was the same as the trophy then surly the 197cup would beat the 182cup on the same roads!! Hmm debate chaps!:eek:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
^^^ The 197 is not as big and bulky as people make out its, easily as chuckable as the 182. I used to own a 182 and the i dont notice the weight thing.

What about a 197cup vs 182cup?

If the 197 was the same as the trophy then surly the 197cup would beat the 182cup on the same roads!! Hmm debate chaps!:eek:
Well, on the old bedford test track, the 182cup was slightly quicker than the Trophy. Who cares? The Trophy is better to drive, the end.

Cayman S Edition 1
I went from a 197FF (with Eibachs, remap and ITG filter) to a Trophy. Best move I made tbh. My wife drives a Megane 225 (which we traded the 197 in for).

The 197 is great, but the Trophy always makes me smile like I've driven it for the first time. Its even better since the Ktech exhaust and remap.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Maybe i should try a Trophy? Used to have a 172 Cup, 182 Cup packed, my sis also has a 182, which i have regular access to...... Yes the 182 might feel a wee bit urgent lower down, but stepping between the two which i did the other day, the 182 feels 15 yrs old to me. Thin hard huuuge steering wheel, flawed driving position (did have the Trendlines in my Cup/182) long reach/throw to the gearbox......

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
I love my Trophy! Test drove a r27, would never consider changing the trophy for 1! r27s nowere near as "chuckable" as the trophy.
Imo the trophys more of a drivers car, but the williams beats them all!

Trophy #490
You need to drive a Trophy! Everyone needs to, infact. The difference that those Sachs Dampers make are incredible, and you really do need to witness them from behind the wheel to fully appreciate them. Before I bought my Trophy I was dead set on a 182 Cup, I couldn't see the point in spending a few grand more for a Trophy. Then I drove one, and was gobsmacked by the difference between the two and bought it instantly. Sure, the straight line speed is identical really between 1*2's/197's, but the Trophy was the last in a generation of lightweight hot hatches and was the culmination of 5/6 years worth of Renaultsport development, making it in my opinion the best of the lot, and it still is. It'll be remembered amongst the greatest hot hatches ever, whereas I personally don't think any of the current 197 variants will be.

A few months back I went to test drive an R27, and was very impressed. I loved the noise, looks, driving position, interior, etc but it just lacked the overall excitement of the Trophy. The handling characteristics were still there don't get me wrong, but it still isn't as special to drive as a Trophy. I haven't drove a 197 Cup, but surely there isn't a massive difference between that and an R27.

I'd recommend you reading evo magazine's 2005 Car of the Year, where the Trophy obliterated just about everything other than a Ford GT and a Ferrari F430. I know its a few years old now, but I still don't feel the need to get rid. Why would I want to though? Its the best hot hatch ever made! :D

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Maybe i should try a Trophy? Used to have a 172 Cup, 182 Cup packed, my sis also has a 182, which i have regular access to...... Yes the 182 might feel a wee bit urgent lower down, but stepping between the two which i did the other day, the 182 feels 15 yrs old to me. Thin hard huuuge steering wheel, flawed driving position (did have the Trendlines in my Cup/182) long reach/throw to the gearbox......
Fair points, but I personally couldn't care less. They are niggles, the bits that matter to me are better in the Trophy. The steering is better, the chassis is more fun, and just as capable. The engine does feel stronger in the Trophy. If you haven't driven a Trophy, do it. If the 182cup is an 8/10 car, the Trophy is 10/10.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
On that ecoty, the Trophy was staying with the Gallardo SE on b-roads. Didn't believe it until Steve took me out in his, and bikers were waving us past!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
On that ecoty, the Trophy was staying with the Gallardo SE on b-roads. Didn't believe it until Steve took me out in his, and bikers were waving us past!

Lets not get too carried away.The trophy kept up with the gallardo for 20 yards on a 90 degree hairpin bend.Everywhere else it lost.

And were the bikes you mention waving you past mountain bikes

A red missile
Have yet to try the 197, not massively keen on the looks to be honest so wouldn't really consider it unless it was a really good drive. All I can say is that I've had the Trophy now for 3 1/2 years and I still get a kick out of driving it, the chuckability is massive and the grip levels have left me grinning from ear to ear many times. I'm really not going to get into that my cars better than yours s**t because we all drive what we drive for our own personal reasons (whatever they are) so trying to look like billy big b****cks on that basis is well, dumb really. For anyone thats not driven one i'd pester someone to chuck you the keys to one and give it a try, it doesn't take long for one to give you massive confidence and realise that it really is something very special. Yes i'm biased so I would say that wouldn't I but I remember this year someone asking me if I was going to swap my car as it was 3 years old, I could put down what I said but the swear filter would probably go into meltdown ;)

3 1/2 years on - still loving it, still not even remotely thinking of swapping.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Lets not get too carried away.The trophy kept up with the gallardo for 20 yards on a 90 degree hairpin bend.Everywhere else it lost.

And were the bikes you mention waving you past mountain bikes
Trophy can carry more speed going into corners.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
A few months back I went to test drive an R27, and was very impressed. I loved the noise, looks, driving position, interior, etc but it just lacked the overall excitement of the Trophy. The handling characteristics were still there don't get me wrong, but it still isn't as special to drive as a Trophy.

Having owned a Trophy for 2 years, and now coming up to 18 months of R27 ownership I'd say that pretty much is how I'd sum it up too.

I love the R27, and as it's a daily drive for me I would find it hard to go back to the Trophy (or any 172/182) mainly because of the driving position. It didn't bother me at the time, but looking back I could never really get comfortable in them. There is a very slight feeling of numbness in the R27 compared to the Trophy though, it still feels great, just not quite the same feedback through the steering wheel. It is a great drive though, so much grip, and very deceptively quick, and always puts a smile on my face.

So I wouldn't swap back but I do definitely miss the Trophy occasionally, and would love to own one again as a second car if i could afford it. No doubt, the Trophy is a special car.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Having owned a Trophy for 2 years, and now coming up to 18 months of R27 ownership I'd say that pretty much is how I'd sum it up too.

I love the R27, and as it's a daily drive for me I would find it hard to go back to the Trophy (or any 172/182) mainly because of the driving position. It didn't bother me at the time, but looking back I could never really get comfortable in them. There is a very slight feeling of numbness in the R27 compared to the Trophy though, it still feels great, just not quite the same feedback through the steering wheel. It is a great drive though, so much grip, and very deceptively quick, and always puts a smile on my face.

So I wouldn't swap back but I do definitely miss the Trophy occasionally, and would love to own one again as a second car if i could afford it. No doubt, the Trophy is a special car.
That may just be the first, genuinely unbiased opinion I've read. Backs up most peoples thoughts that have tried both, but have no current bias. I think in years to come, the Trophy will be talked about with the 205gti as the best ever.