ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 manifold on 172 cup.

172 cup
Im going to buy a 182 manifold... what else will I need to fit this to my 172 cup?

I will be putting a full stainless system on soon, so maybe it will just be easier to replace it with a full 182 system?

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1
Im going to buy a 182 manifold... what else will I need to fit this to my 172 cup?

I will be putting a full stainless system on soon, so maybe it will just be easier to replace it with a full 182 system?

You need the link pipe also to fit onto your 172 exhaust and then no cat will fit. Need a fabricated cat to fir the system from then on.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
its really not worth the effort, nothing wrong with the 172 manifold

got to disagree i got a nice gain on mine, granted the decat possibly done that but 15lb/ft mid range and 10lb/ft peak torque. never dropped anything top end either as you would usually expect with a 4-2-1.

ive always told people its a decent gain, hard going to change it but worth it if you can do it urself, i wouldnt be paying anyone to change it for me.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Having seen the welding by the manufacturer of these I think you would be lucky to see gains. These are not finished off in any way like a top brand like Supersprint would.
The question you have to ask is why is there no (proper) manufacturer making performance manifolds for 172's? Fred hinted at it :p

172 cup
^^ Haha

Seems to me... whatever I think about doing someone comes on the thread telling me not too.

Now most have said keep the standard manifold... what system would you recommend fitting?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yup any of those 3.

Only reason Im changing to a 182 manifold is I split my cat nicely. As it was a pattern part that came with the car and it only lasted 4 years I feel I may as well upgrade. If it was just a straight replacement for a working one then I Know I wouldnt bother.

172DD Cup
172 mani = better top end
182 mani = better midrange

that's the general feeling anyway. 1/4 mile needs top end so obvo 172 mani, but in gear acceleration should increase with 182 mani.

ITB'd MK1
If you're going to do it, use a genuine manifold at least. Those ebay ones look dreadful.

I've just bought myself a 172 and it's getting a 182 manifold, but purely becuase the engine is out for a rebuild

ITB'd MK1
172 mani = better top end
182 mani = better midrange

that's the general feeling anyway. 1/4 mile needs top end so obvo 172 mani, but in gear acceleration should increase with 182 mani.

i'd counter that, my experience is you lose nothing with the 182 manifold, but it improves the torque curve (removes a big dip from the mid range)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
as ive said before i lost nothing, would still hit the limiter in 5th gear, and i gained a nice mid range. im on the look out for another for my ph1!

Mental 172 Cup
I have one of these exact ones fitted to my 172 as I got it 'dirt' cheap, i had it checked over before I had it fitted and was told the welds are okay. I have ran it everyday for the last 4months and have noticed no troubles. Its also made a massive gain along with a decat, matched inlets and a remap.

:)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Out of interest how difficult are these to fit? Say i took it to Birchdown for them to do it. Roughly how long to fit?

Dan.