ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Owner - Worth while modifications...?

Flame Red Clio 172
Hi There,
new to the Clio scene, as I've always owned a VAG.
I dont want to go crazy with this one, but want to make some subtle changes.

I have a Phase 2 Flame Red Clio 172. I just wanted to know what the usual small / cheapish mods are that everyone does..

I know a popular one for the Phs1's are the Phs2 rear lights.. so wondering what people do to these :)

If this has already been asked, then if you can point me in the direction of that thread, would be great.

Cheers!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Welcome, and good colour choice ;)

Small and cheap mods - splitter (skoda fabia is cheapest), type r or Citroen c2 aerial, change the old Renaultsport badge to a newer one (either 197 or 200). Other than that, keep it clean and as OEM as possible. Also cup / trophy spoilers are nice when sprayed and added.

Performance wise and if you want to spend a little more, have a gander at people's project threads. Mine will give you a good idea of a flamer with quite a few mods but still OEM+. If you want 182 wheels on your flamer (saw your other post) search Magpiev6 on here, she has swapped her flamer onto 182 wheels.

I wouldn't do a lot to the engine unless you want to spend 1k+, focus on brakes (brembo hc's / ds2500), suspension (coil overs), spacers.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Minty fresh is usually the way to go on here-

Wheel Spacers & MINT standard wheels-
Different Bullets- coloured on choice)
Carbon Splitter
Cup Spoiler-
Maybe some coilovers...

depends on budget-

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...iation-Thread!&highlight=flamers+appreciation good thread-

&

017yjx.jpg

003fkl.jpg

S

Flame Red Clio 172
its nice to actually join a forum where you dont get told to use the search button every second (seatcupra...)
anyway! thanks a lot for the advice!

had a look on ebay for prices of the new style renault sport badges, £35... does this seem expensive!? or are they a sought after item, putting the price up!?

I really love the 182 8 spoke alloys, so might invest in them. coming from a VAG scene, i love the OEM+ look, and definitely want to stick to it :)

dont want to go stupid low, as i know if i get coilovers, it would end up that way! so springs for me.. 40-60mm drop will be nice. plus i dont want to affect the handling too much! i want to get some sticky tires for summer though.. reckon that would be worth the cost!

what size spacers do you recommend to give it a purposeful stance?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
eibach sportline springs, whiteline rear anti roll bar, panel filter, rs tuner remap.

Flame Red Clio 172
Mine on 15mm spacers all round and Bilsteins b14 coil overs, if that helps.

Piccies here as I'm on iphone;

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?626564-My-1st-efforts-at-a-mini-detail
looks really nice! 15 mm spacers make a massive difference. guessing it holds the road a lot more too? and do the coilovers help? because from what i've heard people say is touching the suspension too much causes the car to understeer a bit more

eibach sportline springs, whiteline rear anti roll bar, panel filter, rs tuner remap.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
personally first what id do (after spending a fortune on both my 172's) is new genuine dampers all round and eibach sportline springs, then new genuine track rods, track rod ends and you could go as far as i did with new bottom arms which include new bushes and ball joints but that was just me being picky, get a nice geometry setup on that and your have a minty fresh and awesome handling car, you may think its a waste of money spending money on new replacement parts that arn't a mod but it makes a hell of a difference!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
USE THE SEARCH!!!!

:p

Keep it nice and clean, nice bright silver wheels always looks good on flamers!

Also if your wanting to go faster, best place to start would be weight saving, strip the rear out etc.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
personally first what id do (after spending a fortune on both my 172's) is new genuine dampers all round and eibach sportline springs, then new genuine track rods, track rod ends and you could go as far as i did with new bottom arms which include new bushes and ball joints but that was just me being picky, get a nice geometry setup on that and your have a minty fresh and awesome handling car, you may think its a waste of money spending money on new replacement parts that arn't a mod but it makes a hell of a difference!

Exactly what I'd do, along with some sportlines.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Welcome mate!

As said make sure the wear n tear parts are in good nick. The Eibach springs and Whiteline rear ARB are good value for money mods.

If you pay the membership you will be able to see the Traders section and the Market place so will be able to pick up some bits and pieces in there that you might want. It will pay for itself pretty quickly with offers and group buys etc

Flame Red Clio 172
gearbox mount - fitted
exhaust mount - fitted
pipercross panel filter - fitted
matched inlet - in the post (RS one)
new steering wheel - fitted
35mm lowering springs - fitted
new number plates - fitted
new gearknob - fitted
middle boxes cut out
cup splitter - fitted
travel bag in boot

what ive done and bought so far :)

next is a decat and remap i think :) then just to tidy it up! has had full valet. interior is immaculate too!
just bits on the outside

172 cup
I would recommend the RS tuner remap as suggested, well worth the money. I have a decat waiting to go on mine so will let you know how that improves it, just waiting for a helping hand as looks a right pain to fit!