ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 gearbox swap

clio
Hi guys I've got a problem with my 03 172 cup. I bought the car with it crunching going into 2nd gear, so I whipped the gearbox out with the intention of fitting a second hand unit. I was told the diesel box was stronger and luckily, or unluckily,I got one for next to nowt.
My problem is the speedo drive from the 172 box has an electro/mechanical sensor that's driven from a worm drive at the bottom of the speedo drive hole. The diesel box has said hole but is solid at the bottom with no drive. I've been told clip can convert the speedo pickup from the sensor to the abs but of course the cup doe sent have abs so, my idea was to strip the 172 bell housing and fit it and the diff together onto my diesel box thus giving me my speedo drive. I've started the strip on the 172 but am I right in saying the fifth gear needs to come off first ? Since splitting the housing about an inch or so the fifth gear synchro is solid and not coming back down! Is there a specific routine to strip these boxes?

any help would be greatly appreciated. John

172cup
Loads of people have tried to fit like 182 later box to a 172cup which needs the earlyer type box like it the ph1 clio 172 and from what I've seen you get the right box or have no speedo or try and use it for parts

The 5th gear needs to come off, there is a nut on the diff too. You'll need to take the speedo drove from the other diff if it'll fit. It would be much easier just to fit another box with a speedo drive

clio
The 5th gear needs to come off, there is a nut on the diff too. You'll need to take the speedo drove from the other diff if it'll fit. It would be much easier just to fit another box with a speedo drive
Yeah I'm realising that now but I've bought the box already. I'm contemplating just going without a speedo but I'm sure that's an mot failure

172cup
Most people sell the wrong one a buy the right one some the newer type tend to go for more money