ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Turbo - Track Car

Cup Turbo, Flamer
The red car lives!!!

i cracked on early yesterday morning, finished tightening the exhaust up, has new gaskets/bolts/clamps all the way through. It was then time to stick some fluids in and see if she started.

Stuck 2.5 litres of water in, and waiting 30 secs to see if any came out...it did! Heater matrix pipes weren't clipped in fully, clip, clip, done! Another wait and nothing so filled the rest up with concentrate coolant. New gearbox oil in. 3.1 litres exactly before it started to dribble out, done! Engine Oil changed too! That's now a full service including new aux belt kit done!

Battery connected, lights on dash, turn key, boom! First time start! Perfect! Left it running for a good half hour, topping coolant up as it ran through, checked heater and that was pumping out hot air nicely too.

Topped up power steering fluid and done a few lock to locks to bleed it through, check! Good to see that after 30 mins nothing seemed to be leaking so all good!

Couple of pics below of the finished bonnet re spray and how the car looks at the minute plus some pics of the interior it's mint for an 11 yr old car!

Gonna be a real shame to sell this!

Bonnet all done!

null_zps2bfebb39.jpg

null_zps39c28a81.jpg

It's alive!

null_zpsde653530.jpg

null_zps04b70a5d.jpg

How she looks this morning

null_zpsb3e339c7.jpg

null_zps0f1f9c5e.jpg

null_zps6b69514b.jpg

null_zpse5e6f703.jpg

Quick YouTube vid of the idle

http://youtu.be/HMQnAejlGvo

Cup Turbo, Flamer
What's left to do....bleed brakes and get the rear shock changed, need an air gun as my guns aren't big enough to undo it! Tax then drive!!

Here's a quick debrief of new bits on the car...

Bonnet
Rear Shock
Full service inc aux belt
Front pads
Battery
Alternator

Probably more but can't remember! Once it's taxed I'll stick it up for sale and start using it as my daily to work until it's gone!

Then onto more important matters......sorting the blue one !

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Cheers guys! I've just had a standard airbox and piping turn up so I'll be fitting that and getting rid o the BMC.

I'll probably replace the standard panel filter at some point, but the one that came with the airbox looks in good condition for the time being.

It's now insured and 6 months tax starts on the 1st of November!

Project 1 - Winter hack/Donor Car = Complete

Project 2 - Boosted track toy = 75% Complete and to be continued.....new parts and updates coming soon hopefully

Cup Turbo, Flamer
That's an awesome finish on the bonnet for rattle cans!!

Thanks! Never painting anything myself again! Took me hours to get that finish, plus by the time I purchased the various sandpaper grades, polishes, paints etc, wouldn’t have worked out much cheaper than getting it done properly – plus many man hours saved haha

Hahah that's the experience I've had with painting in the past, done it myself and it's ended up as much as a bodyshop lol

Still it's a good feeling to get a finish like that yourself

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I've been using the car for a month now, and all good! So nice to have a decent run around again after having 106 zest for 2 years!

I’ve booked it into the garage this weekend just to sort the last few tinkering bits out as I haven’t got the time and my drives wet!

Points to note, tracking is well off! Pulls all over the road, to be expected really as its had a suspension change and a new TRE, so that’s getting done Saturday morning. The speedo comes and goes as it pleases, so I’m hoping it’s just loose and be clipped back in.

As it’s also go a short shift kit on it, reverse it a right pain to get into, so it’s having the alignment tinkered with so I don’t have to use two hands to find reverse!

I’ve put the Cup Turbo on hold until the new year, then the fun can really begin!

I’ve already collected some cup racer brake ducts, I’ll also be hoping for an oil temp and pressure gauge in my xmas stocking. I’ll be collecting bits for a swirl pot too.

I’ll remove the dash and plumb/mount all the gauges in properly so I can fix the dash down for good!, then sort the blowing exhaust out and then mapping.

That’s the master plan!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
What a mad thread. Glad your using the red one too. Your handy with the spanners thats for sure. Hope to see em about. Im Just in Maidstone

Should arrange a mini meet at mine! I'm sure the blue turbo would like a bit of attention, not seen any in the last few months lol!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
As the sun decided to make an appearance today I thought I'd have a go at at few bits on the turbo. I've been needing to get dash out for ages as I need to sort the cabling out and install all my gauges properly, that way once it's in, it's in! No more pissing about!

so out came the dash and here is the current state....

67E3F36D-09CB-4DCD-8284-9C8130897561.jpg

ive still got all the pre-tensioner sensors etc running under the seats, so they'll be going and I'll just be tidying everything else up.

The in-laws got me a oil pressure gauge for Xmas so I'm just left with oil temp to collect now then I can install them all, I'm thinking here, but need to make sure it'll look good.

975529D7-46C6-4588-A147-6E0CF3D484B5.jpg

I'm going for the 'fresh out of factory look' so all gauges and other controls must look OEM as much as poss. I'm properly picky about that, I hate people who just screw pods all over the dash, it looks s**t!

So good to see the car again after 3 months under cover, got me motivated to start work on it! I decided to take the front bumper off and test fit the brake ducts I've had in the shed for ages

35A2D6CE-AFDC-4136-A6D9-9B66C6A6C6BB_1.jpg

FE5E2CF0-2419-404B-A26D-928BC167E316.jpg

D44EE850-7618-4CC3-B523-71B880F76A35.jpg

As with all the ducts the fit is terrible! They'll need a fair bit of work to make them fit and looks good. Came across another problem on the passenger side duct though, boost pipe in the way, b**ch!!

AEE6D7B6-8A61-4991-9CC5-5A077DACA9F7.jpg

So that's a bit of an update. I need to relocate the battery from the rear wheel well to under the pax seat as I've got a race battery now, then need to get

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I've collected some parts through out Jan. Managed to get an alloy rad, 16 row oil cooler and the last in my trio of gauges, oil temp!

D09780C8-72CF-4458-9745-57ED4A9FF27F.jpg

4422C881-5020-4EB4-84D3-F3A1CE923666.jpg

Next on the list are hoses and connectors for the oil cooler. Got an auto electrician mate booked in at the end of Feb to help relocate the battery from the boot to behind the passenger seat and install a cut off switch. Also to help me wire in the gauges too.

Progress is slower than I would have hoped, but progress all the same eh!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Not 100% decided yet, sandwich plate with take offs seem the most straight forward. That or T off where the stock oil pressure sensor is. Where have you stuck yours?

Not sure yet either. I've got a laminova oil cooler so might use that with some bosses or use the tee for the OE oil pressure sensor.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Well having this happen wasn't in the project brief. Totally gutted considering the time and effort that went into it! All that hard work on the bonnet too!!

Old man not looking when pulling out of a junction = busted car. He's admitted full liability and I have witness statements so all is moving quickly.

After it happened I hoped that the bumper would just pop back on, so I popped the bonnet and the rest of the bumper fell out, that's that then eh!

I thought it would be close, but still shocked they have written it off, only needs a few panels!!! :( Needs bumper, light and wing, plus a wheel refurb if you're picky. So that means more admin, more time spent speaking to people when I could be getting on with the blue one!

Oh well, these things happen, plus there could be a flame red 172 being broken for parts in the for sale section soon!

EF908140-F441-4B61-A169-1061718CB2F4.jpg

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Yeah very minimal! That's why I'm surprised they decided its a total loss. It only needs a wing, light and bumper, easily sourced on ebay, CS etc!

Just a pain!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I hate February!!

It’s been a shocker! Obviously from the above you can see the crash I had. Fine no biggy, I got paid out from the other guys insurance company (as he admitted liability), car is a Cat D now.

I popped all the body work back on, cleaned the other cars paint off and I’m left with a slightly scratched/battered car that really isn’t that bad. I thought I’d just continue to use the car as a daily as I bought it back from insurance.

0499A222-9B47-40AC-A679-F8004DB4D9C7.jpg

Was fine for a week, then the starter motor packed in, unfortunate I thought, but managed to get a new one and fitted on Saturday just gone. Again, fine, started with much more force and was sorted!

4 hours later, I leave my in-laws, battery light and stop light come on and nice whiring noise from the engine bay, Brilliant! New alternator time! I managed to use it for 2 days as the battery was still being charged if revs were above 1.5k, but today it decided to completely pack in and drained the battery in 10 mins flat as the alternator has obviously gone direct to earth! AA time and recovery home. What are the chances!

So I need a new alternator and probably a new battery as the way my luck is at the moment, that’s probably been damaged! So that’s what my Saturday will be spent doing, tackling the alternator!

In my very first post I said this would be a trials and tribulations of turbo ownership, I didn’t expect the donor car to be the issue haha! Just bad timing I guess and these things happen!

In more interesting news….stuff for the blue turbo…

As mentioned before I’ve been collecting some shiny bits and took my dash out to fit the gauges and tidy the wires and cabling up!

I ordered a sandwich plate for the oil cooler and gauges, I’ve been reading lots about using sandwich plates for gauges, some swear by them, others hate them. It’s the most straight forward answer so I’ll start with the sandwich plate and see how I get on. I also ordered some AN fittings and some braided hose for the oil cooler, so should be able to get that installed when I don’t need an arc to go outside!

Oooo shiney bits!

6A723417-B7B4-4172-9FF4-5B171FC6363A.jpg

I set about installing plates for my gauges next. I ordered an A4 piece of 2mm thick carbon sheet (genuine) and cut it to size so it would fit exactly in the gap where the old central vents were. As said before I want it to look as factory as possible, or at least as neat as possible. So I’m going a bit OCD on detail. Here’s some pics of the outcome.

23A2B4D7-093F-466C-A460-031F3B950552.jpg

2C578982-6354-4852-B23D-6616A8A52D1B.jpg

I managed to get the carbon plate pretty flush with the dash, so quite chuffed with that, holds the gauges nice and tight too! As you can see I relocated the fan speed switch to where the tweeter used to be, I wanted to keep this as I gave me flexibility still on hot/cold and fan speed etc. The boost gauge is now nicely sat where the old vent was. Unfortunately that’s still wrapped not genuine carbon so looks a bit out of place and doesn’t match. When I find a spare 5 mins I’ll take it back out and replace it with a some genuine carbon so it matches (told you, OCD!)

That’s all for now. Hopefully in the coming weeks I’ll have a sunny day so I can get cracking!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Done a bit on the cup today, test fitted the rad. Which I'm really surprised is a great fit, and a straight swap! You can see from the pics below its about double the thickness so should do the trick.

I also test fitted the oil cooler, I've decided to stick it behind the number plate and drill some air holes so it gets some ventilation. Idea is, on road, cooler will hardly be used, on track, whip the plate off and loads of air! I've used an old scrap bumper to drill some test holes, these ones are far to big, so when I come to do the new bumper they'll be smaller.

Need to route the braided hoses and get them cut to size and then plumbed in. Then I can get the dash back in and plumb the gauges in!

F73FE0E2-E1AD-4595-B444-13002ABF5BA2.jpg

49214D5F-4D20-4275-B63E-51FDE1374433.jpg

Cup Turbo, Flamer
That oil cooler won't do anything unless you make holes in the cross beam behind it

It's got a good cm or so behind it, so should be enough gap for air to flow through, if not, it's all part of the project, finding out what works and what doesn't. If I'm finding oil temps are too high I'll relocate somewhere else

182FF
It's got a good cm or so behind it, so should be enough gap for air to flow through, if not, it's all part of the project, finding out what works and what doesn't. If I'm finding oil temps are too high I'll relocate somewhere else

Fair enough, it is a good idea having it switchable with the number plate.

Even with the 1cm air will simply go round the front of the cooler. It's the significantly easier path. The cooler will still have some effect but I'd guess at 50% efficient compared to being behind the square grill.

How much distance between bumper and cooler? If that's close to zero it'd work better than a few CMs