ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Turbo - Track Car

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is there room for it under that cross member behind the intercooler? air coming through the cooler will still be nice and cold, although I think it will work ok where it is so long as you have the number plate off (and lets face it on the road its unlikely to really need the cooler as you just cant hammer them the way you can on track with these turbo clios as they are quite quick)

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Is there room for it under that cross member behind the intercooler? air coming through the cooler will still be nice and cold, although I think it will work ok where it is so long as you have the number plate off (and lets face it on the road its unlikely to really need the cooler as you just cant hammer them the way you can on track with these turbo clios as they are quite quick)

i don't think there's enough room behind the inter cooler, good point tho and worth a look

That was my thinking too. On the road it won't need the air as I doubt it'll need cooling, on track I can just whip the plate off and then go at it!

Have you you got an oil cooler on yours?

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I did think about that and nearly went for it! Only thing that stopped me was the fact I haven't got a thermostatic sandwich plate, so didn't want the oil being over cooled, at least this way I can cover the cooler up so have the option if it gets too cool.

i'll defo stick it there if this way doesn't work out

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Or get a thermostatic plate? :) I have just put mine behind the top vent, about 4bars of the 13 are visible and the bottom corner in direct wind contact! What size is your cooler?

Cup Turbo, Flamer
It's a 16 row

I couldn't find a thermostatic plate with ports for gauges! I know I could have double decked them, but that made me think more that could go wrong lol!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Ah yeah you won't get that up there anyway, bottom corner behind spot light or as chip said behind, in front of the intercooler, being that big without a thermostatic plate you won't need to worry about air flow much/if any!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
True! It might be ok behind the number all the time then! Either that or I'll buy it a nice knitted jacket lol

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Few little updates......

I've cut all my oil cooler pipes to size and test fitted the sandwich plate which all seems to fit well. My auto electrician mate is coming round on Sunday to help me wire up the gauges to make sure I don't do anything stupid! He's also linking my fan to a switch on the dash so I can have control to put the rad fan on if need be.

I also spoke to sideways danny1 earlier today and booked the car in to be mapped. Properly excited! First time I've spoken to him and he seems too clever for me! haha! Boost/fuel ratios, baffled me! Interesting stuff though and can't wait to get it sorted.

I'll update with some more pics at the weekend, when I've got my dash back together and all the gauges in. Might actually be able to start it for the first time in months!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
I know how it feels after all the hard work and pennies put into it!

have fun mate and keep us updated!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I know how it feels after all the hard work and pennies put into it!

have fun mate and keep us updated!

Thanks mate will do! Just looking forward to the weekend now! Looking forward to seeing how the dash and gauges look and work when they're in. Not forgetting hearing the car start for the first time in ages!

I've also managed to get the an fittings on the braided hose for the oil cooler, b1tch of a job but they look the nuts!

More pics and updates over the weekend, and maybe even a cheeky vid!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Managed to get a fair bit done this morning in prep for the gauges being wired in tommorrow.

test fitted the oil cooler pipes, perfect length and fit perfectly! I've gone a bit OTT with the ptfe tape but I really only want to plumb this in once and wilt any issues, so hopefully should be ok. Here's some pics

Managed to rope the boy in for some help lol!

3B4C2333-145F-48E7-8EE7-462C16F5C0DF.jpg

8C71D705-BB0B-44CD-ACE5-4469E1AA7FBB.jpg

D74ABA7F-A2E1-4E2A-A7B5-C4F26CBEC1EA.jpg

You can see in the pic above where the gauge pic up points are. Both fitted with ptfe tape.

i then went about feeding the gauge lines through the car, this was so easy! I thought I'd be ages trying to find a way of getting the feeds to the dash. All I did was pop off the power steering fluid bottle, and just below it is where the bonnet release cable runs through the bulkhead, so just used the same route for the pipe.

256A9F97-C8F2-420D-9394-A2124962D99C.jpg

6FE01DE8-4643-4C14-8F9D-D52C46CE7A2D.jpg

I fed the pipes from the inside to outside, found it easier this way

66B21A79-77A2-475B-8A97-DF25EC63BCE5.jpg

All ready to be plumbed into the gauges. These are for the Oil pressure and boost gauges. There'll be another cable added tomo for the electrical temp gauge.

Im planning on getting the dash back in too, so that should make it look a bit tidier in here! Currently looks like this lol!

76344C44-6B4B-45D0-BF2C-C0FB14FAE0D2.jpg

Happy with the progress so far today. Hoping to get a but more done too. Back to Dad duties for now though!!

172 cup, Impreza P1
You don't need any ptfe tape on an fittings as its not the thread that's doing the sealing, just the clamping. It's the cone face at the top that meets with the same angled face and creates a seal. You'd be best to get rid to ensure you tighten the unions enough.

Went for the same sandwich plate as you for the gauges. Doesn't look as free flowing as the mocal one I had but should do a job.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
You don't need any ptfe tape on an fittings as its not the thread that's doing the sealing, just the clamping. It's the cone face at the top that meets with the same angled face and creates a seal. You'd be best to get rid to ensure you tighten the unions enough.

Went for the same sandwich plate as you for the gauges. Doesn't look as free flowing as the mocal one I had but should do a job.

Cracking advice that mate, thanks very much! I'd only done the sandwich plate so far, so easy to sort.

I've just put the dash back in too, so more pics to come later

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Got the dash back in, managed to snap the heater control of so a bit of no more nails has come to my rescue!

Also text fitted the centre console to make sure that still had a good fit.

6BF74383-2F95-441F-8DAF-AC24E0BB6831.jpg

F6DEA060-2032-442F-8BBE-16808222139F.jpg

My agenda for tomorrow is:

Tighten the oil cooler pipes in their final position

Plumb in the boost gauge pipe and oil pressure pipes to the gauges

Run the wires for the electric oil temp gauge

Fit new rad

Rig up the fan override switch

Fill with coolant

Start her up!!!

i'm not gonna lie, I'm a bit excited!

Here's the 2 of them together, match made in heaven in turns out!

EE538FC1-F6A5-4679-A794-F83DC5A83208.jpg

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Put the oil cooler with the hoses to the top mate, how is it going to bleed itself like this!

Coming along nicely. Just a small observation, I know you're tight for space, but it may be a better idea to relocate the oil cooler behind the front member, in case you have a knock, last thing you want is for the oil cooler to spit and drop its oil.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Put the oil cooler with the hoses to the top mate, how is it going to bleed itself like this![/QUOTE

Do you need to bleed it?! Didn't know you had yo!

Coming along nicely. Just a small observation, I know you're tight for space, but it may be a better idea to relocate the oil cooler behind the front member, in case you have a knock, last thing you want is for the oil cooler to spit and drop its oil.

Very good point, and one I hadn't thought too much about! Hmmmm, I may have to move it at some point then!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Update time...

I managed to get everything done today, and I think for the first time it all went without a hitch, if anything it went better than I first thought.

First up was to tighten up the an fittings on the sandwich plate, I removed the ptfe tape as advised by cupman, just to make sure they made a good seal.

I then set about fitting the gauge hoses to the sandwich plate and tightened that up to the block. Once all the oil lines were tight and the gauge hoses were tight, I set about fitting the new rad send fan. I had to cut a bit away of the fan plastic just so it wasn't squashing the power steering pipe behind it. This wouldn't normally be a problem, but because the rad is double the thickness and I've got a boost pipe behind that, room is a bit tight!

F54C91F4-DB2F-4FB1-AF54-CF72566B5614.jpg

With the engine bay sorted, we turned our attention to the gauges. I say we, my mate wired in all the gauges in literally no time at all! The 2 oil gauges diet in the middle with boost on the tight.

B12D2743-0A96-4FD7-BB3A-580FEC4F7F3C.jpg

8433546D-0DD9-40C2-A391-CC2743DD158B.jpg

FCEAB437-8D77-4898-B069-8BF9DF0FBB4B.jpg

I also asked him to wire in a switch so I can turn my rad fan on as and when I want you, and he also wired in the reSr screen demise switch too! So they are now all fully working.

D2EB74E8-A6F8-4153-8A6A-11CC63BF8F32.jpg

This is how she currently looks too

8195D894-75FB-4923-9039-2F7F386E317B.jpg

172 cup, Impreza P1
Looking good mate! Love the gauge setup and centre consol.

Agree with Tutuur, you will find it difficult to bleed the air out of the oil cooler with the hoses to the bottom. Is there a bleed nipple on the opposite side to the hoses?

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Looking good mate! Love the gauge setup and centre consol.

Agree with Tutuur, you will find it difficult to bleed the air out of the oil cooler with the hoses to the bottom. Is there a bleed nipple on the opposite side to the hoses?

I really didn't know this! I don't there's a bleed nipple anywhere, need to think about that then. Is it imperative to bleed it?

Looks great

Thanks mate

Cup In bits
Here you go mate.

[video=youtube_share;q9sZtya-bYU]http://youtu.be/q9sZtya-bYU[/video]

[video=youtube_share;xjZXVnp8dlg]http://youtu.be/xjZXVnp8dlg[/video]

I would spin the cooler otherwise if there is no check valves then you run the chance of having oil drain away every time you switch it off. It will then take a minute to bleed again which will or could starve the engine of lubrication at one of the most important times. Start up.

And for ease of mounting just spin it 180 deg and notch two pieces out of the slam panel for the inlet/outlet, route the pipes under the headlight and that way you can use the already drilled fixing holes and keep the hoses you have made.

Also solid mounting an oil cooler or any delicate cooler is not good practice, if you check eBay you will get small threaded bobbins for a few £'s which is a much better solution, especially on a road car that will see miles.

Last edited:
  R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
There's no bleed nipple and you don't have to bleed it, if you put the fittings to the top air will come out by itself.

also to avoind any oil pressure drop at first start fill the cooler and hoses prior to connecting them. Could get a bit messy but could save your engine.

friend of mine didn't want to listen and spun a bearing the first 100m he drove....

Cup Turbo, Flamer
There's no bleed nipple and you don't have to bleed it, if you put the fittings to the top air will come out by itself.

also to avoind any oil pressure drop at first start fill the cooler and hoses prior to connecting them. Could get a bit messy but could save your engine.

friend of mine didn't want to listen and spun a bearing the first 100m he drove....

I'm getting a bit confused mate.....same theory as bleeding a radiator I'm guessing? Back off the nuts slightly, let the air bleed out and wait gorgeous oil to drip out?

Ive already started the car too since fitting the cooler and all seems fine, that was without filling the cooler first?

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
If the fittings are placed to the top you won't have to bleed, as air is lighter than oil it will naturally fill the cooler with oil

as i said, you could be lucky. My friend was unlucky and had to rebuild his engine again....

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I found this on the mocal website under their FAQs...thoughts?

ill be changing the solid mounting, but the last sentence is interesting!

Mounting on bottom brackets alone will suffice up to 13 row coolers after that all 4 brackets should be used, a system of spacers and long bolts tying in all four brackets will spread the load. The cooler will expand with heat so allowing someflexibility in the mountings will prolong cooler life The weakest part of the plate type cooler is the brackets, breakage of which often damage the whole cooler. if fitted to any vehicle that may be subject to vibration or twisting of the mounting platform, consideration should be given to abandoning the brackets and mounting in a cradle, locating with cable ties or an elastic strap should be sufficient as the hose will provide some restraint. Oil coolers may be mounted anyway up and are self bleeding, the resistance to oil flow through the matrix means that tanks will fill up evenly pushing out the air before the oil flows through.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Interesting, it might not be a problem then afterall but i like to over-engineer stuff just to be safe

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Teeny bit of an update,

I purchased some headlight blanks from CMComposites, highly recommended, and great quality! I'll be getting them sprayed gloss black, I would do them myself, but after the hard graft doing the flame red bonnet, I really can't be bothered lol!

I'm also taking the car to 519 tomorrow and leaving it there for a week. Plans are to sort the mapping out, I've got a gearbox leak where the selector rod goes in, so hopefully that's just a seal and an easy fix, and to also sort out my terribly bad blowing exhaust, then the fun can begin and I can actually drive it!!!

I've also looked into track day evenings in May at Brands hatch, so I can finally get back on track and see what it can do!

Here's a quick un-painted pic of the headlight blanks

BC3E8C8D-0B26-484F-B545-CE1576CE2628.jpg

Cup Turbo, Flamer
So....car all dropped off ready to get mapped! Pick it up in a couple of weeks! Watch this space, not excited at all, not one bit.

B3E5A830-FCD9-4BE5-90C0-22E45C0FAB14.jpg

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Bit of an update....

Unfortunately its going to be with Dan a bit longer than expected. The "minor" oil leak I mentioned to him actually turns out to be quite bad and he thinks its the crank seal.

Bit of a pain and unexpected expense sorting it out, but good knowing its in safe hands getting sorted. At least when I do get it back it will have a clean bill of health.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Well its been a very long 2 months for me waiting for my car.....and its still no closer to being done.

Starting to get a bit frustrated now...