ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup boosted track toy!

Clio 172 Cup
What flange arrangement did you go for on the gt2860r? also what a/r version did you choose? looking to purchase one of these soon but not 100% on what inlet and outlet flanges i require.
Cheers

Martin

172 cup, Impreza P1
What flange arrangement did you go for on the gt2860r? also what a/r version did you choose? looking to purchase one of these soon but not 100% on what inlet and outlet flanges i require.
Cheers

Martin

Hi martin,

The gt2860rs only comes with one flange size and I have the 0.64 housing.

Steven

Countryman JCW
I will be running circa 280-300bhp... Left my car with Andyrg for a few weeks to drop some megane internals in and a tweak of the boost ;)

172 cup, Impreza P1
Both cam pulleys now sorted and fitted to the engine. Should give +/- 8deg of timing so we'll have a play and see what works best with the setup. The exhaust pulley needed modified slightly and uses shorter headed cap screws to clear the cover but all fits now with a couple of mm spare. Need to get it times up this weekend and build the engine up complete.

5720bdab-ebaf-4798-b8c7-a9194fb571fe.jpg

CamPulleys2.jpg

I'm getting all the subframe parts and cage back from the powder coaters in hopefully a lovely shade of orange so these can be fitted back onto the car and then it just leaves the fabrication of the inlet manifold and mapping with a couple of other bits and pieces.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Got the engine all timed up and also got the alternator setup, clutch and box all fitted so basically, to complete the engine I need the inlet manifold welded up (want to size it in the bay to make sure everything is where it should be) and drill and tap some holes for gauge and a coolant sensors.

http://s784.photobucket.com/user/Scoobp1/media/SAM_0131.jpg.html]
SAM_0131.jpg

http://s784.photobucket.com/user/Scoobp1/media/SAM_0130.jpg.html]
SAM_0130.jpg

Got the powder coated parts back a couple of weeks ago including the cage and front subframe. The subframe was fitted after getting built back up with the wishbones, ARB and I must say, I like the look of it on.

http://s784.photobucket.com/user/Scoobp1/media/SAM_0128.jpg.html]
SAM_0128.jpg

http://s784.photobucket.com/user/Scoobp1/media/SAM_0127.jpg.html]
SAM_0127.jpg

http://s784.photobucket.com/user/Scoobp1/media/SAM_0124.jpg.html]
SAM_0124.jpg

Cage still wrapped up to keep it good. It will be fitted after the interior is sprayed with some rattle can mondial blue.

http://s784.photobucket.com/user/Scoobp1/media/SAM_0129.jpg.html]
SAM_0129.jpg

172 cup, Impreza P1
Not had much time at all lately to push the build on but have managed to get the engine in which has allowed me to see the down pipe hit the steering rack so that needed a rethink. There is not much room to clear the oil drain and also miss the steering rack but managed to clear both and end up meeting the decat flange which was an added bonus!

IMG-20130923-00626.jpg

I have also managed to get all the parts made for the inlet manifold. I taped it all together to ensure it fitted and also to help my welder know where everything goes. The only issue with fitting was at the narrower end or the plenum, it fowled on the alternator bracket so I had to make some space for that. Hopefully you get the idea. Getting picked up today so should be back by the end of the week. Just need to complete the fuel rail and another few bits and pieces then finish building up the rest of the engine bay.

IMG-20130923-00627.jpg

IMG-20130923-00629.jpg

Still need to do loads of interior jobs though so the list is still long!

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Im running a gt2871 and have problems with the downpipe, mine was built on a t28 so im guessing the bigger turbo alters its position, you know the plans with mine ;) plenum looks good though chap, guna be a quick car

172 cup, Impreza P1
I love the time and thought that goes into this build, one of the best on here by far!

Cheers mate, very kind words! :approve:

Im running a gt2871 and have problems with the downpipe, mine was built on a t28 so im guessing the bigger turbo alters its position, you know the plans with mine ;) plenum looks good though chap, guna be a quick car

There definitely is no room for the down pipe to be anything other than perfect. I was playing with mm to get it just right so I'm going to get another pipe made up with a screamer pipe now you've got me in the mood for one. :p

As if I need any more ideas for this thing. but this has me very curious.

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Cheers mate, very kind words! :approve:

There definitely is no room for the down pipe to be anything other than perfect. I was playing with mm to get it just right so I'm going to get another pipe made up with a screamer pipe now you've got me in the mood for one. :p

As if I need any more ideas for this thing. but this has me very curious.

Do you have an external wastegate?

172 cup, Impreza P1
So what's the benefit of a screamer on an internal wastegate setup?

Stops turbulent gases disrupting flow from the turbine same as an external wastegate. Also increases the ability to flow more exhaust gases at higher boost as wastegate gas is not going down the exhaust.

Sounds good too but wouldn't do it on a road car, too noisey!

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Didnt realise it would be effective on an internal.

Would sound almost like a jet i should imagine. Fun to start off then rather annoying!

Cup In bits
Stops turbulent gases disrupting flow from the turbine same as an external wastegate. Also increases the ability to flow more exhaust gases at higher boost as wastegate gas is not going down the exhaust.

Sounds good too but wouldn't do it on a road car, too noisey!

Surely that's just a branch from the exhaust and the same could be achieved with a bigger diameter exhaust? Would sound epic but would scream continually.

172 cup, Impreza P1
It was hard enough to fit a 2.5" downpipe in nevermind anything bigger. It would only work about the spring pressure in the actuator which is about 0.5 bar of boost.

As I said, would only use on a track car as on the road it would not be good.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Not looked at this for a bit so sorry for the late reply. :eek:

Been doing some odds and ends like the inlet manifold and front brakes. Got the inlet manifold all welded up but wasn't happy with it so had to do some chopping to modify it. Should be good once welded up second time round. Brakes are AP 4 pots that I'm modifying from lug mounts to radials and making up brackets for.

Been neglecting the Clio as I was working on the P1 when the weather permitted but want the Clio ready for the start of this years trackday season so have decided to pull the finger out and get it ready, hopefully!

Catch you soon mate.

Not looked at this for a bit so sorry for the late reply. :eek:

Been doing some odds and ends like the inlet manifold and front brakes. Got the inlet manifold all welded up but wasn't happy with it so had to do some chopping to modify it. Should be good once welded up second time round. Brakes are AP 4 pots that I'm modifying from lug mounts to radials and making up brackets for.

Been neglecting the Clio as I was working on the P1 when the weather permitted but want the Clio ready for the start of this years trackday season so have decided to pull the finger out and get it ready, hopefully!

Catch you soon mate.

Glad to hear it mate