ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.8 16v or Williams

Petrol Blue 182.
which one is the better? are they roughly equal in terms of speed? is one more tunable then the other? whats the one to go for?

Petrol Blue 182.
ive herd hybrid mentiond before but ive never really understood what it is :eek: lol

and yeah its going to cost me £170 to change from mine to a Valver on the insurance, which I thought was good

ITB'd MK1
What engine is yours now? I like valvers personally, though EVERYONE will say fit a 2 litre to it. They're a shade under powered by modern standards, but still good fun

williams and trophy
id say 2.0 evry time tbh. whether in valver or if you go for full fun package n go for the willy ;)

in terms of speed, diff class tbh. loads more torque throughout the rev range with the williams, doesnt rev as high as std as the 1800, but then you dont really need it to, if its std, and the limiter can always be moved up the range with a cheap chip.

williams has wider track, heavier duty roll bars, torsion bars etc, so does handle that bit better as std. add coilies etc and the margin just keeps growing. if u see a valver thats had the wide track etc already fitted....then go for it, as you would probs want to upgrade to this in the future.

as above, williams is quite a bit more to insure. but so much more fun out the box, and quicker to boot

choice is all yours really, with these cars its swings and roundabouts, a clean valver with 2.0 lump and widetrack will cost about the same to buy as a decent williams. so in that respect theres not much in it. but..........the williams will hold its value for far longer than the valver.

personally id go for the williams every time, i dont like getting rained on from the shite sunroofs, i dont like my roof buckling after a heavy session thru the corners. thats also why id never ever have a willy 3. u might as well just get a hybrid valver as a willy 3 tbh.

williams and trophy
aye iv owned several of both too. and fixed countless others. so if u want any advice or owt jus ask. always willing to give no BS straight forward answers. ;)

BMW M5 & E36
I've got a 172 engined and tracked Valver as a trackday toy and a standard 16v with full leather interior, narrowtrack etc for a daily driver. Theyre both good fun in their own way.

Assuming you get a half decent one, a 16v will still be a massive giggle coming from a 1.2 :)

williams and trophy
but given the choice of 2.0 or 1.8

go for the 2.0 ........in time you will be converting to 2.0 anyway, so save a bit of time/money and plump for 1 straight away. imho.

Dynamique Flamer
I would go for the 1.8 mate that's going to be alot more powerful coming from a 1.2. A lot of people go out and buy stupidly fast cars and bin them at the first corner. 1.8 should aslo be cheaper to insure, assuming your INS would cost about the same as mine, it's not cheap.

I would just say Valver, only because you can pick them up cheap - if you get a Williams you will have to spend a lot of money on it to keep its value. It is true the Williams is better but the Valver is no slouch. The RSI has no bonnet vent or wide archs, so that fails :)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Problem with a Valver is you will want to fit a wide track, F7R, Williams subframe etc. These parts are not cheap nor easy to do so. If you're mechancially minded then fine, otherwise get the Williams which is THE car from that choice.

Chav Rocket
yes having just finished my hybrid - with full willy running gear i can say its not cheap. you can probably get the track conversion for fairly cheap but then you will want to buy new bushes, replace bolts etc etc and it does all definteley(sp) add up

valvers are fun just dont sit in a williams and get big ideas!

as far as insurance is concerned i am with brentacre and initially insured as a valver then i declared my engine swap and mods like coilies, alloys, induction kit etc etc and it was no extra charge.

williams if you want a collectors item if not just get a valver.

yes having just finished my hybrid - with full willy running gear i can say its not cheap. you can probably get the track conversion for fairly cheap but then you will want to buy new bushes, replace bolts etc etc and it does all definteley(sp) add up

valvers are fun just dont sit in a williams and get big ideas!

as far as insurance is concerned i am with brentacre and initially insured as a valver then i declared my engine swap and mods like coilies, alloys, induction kit etc etc and it was no extra charge.

williams if you want a collectors item if not just get a valver.

Got to love brentacre

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I have to concede that the williams is the better car to begin with but I imagine it's gonna come down to insurance cost for you, same as it did for me.

When I got my valver I was quoted at £1300 to insure and a williams was £2650 so bit of a no brainer

Clio Williams & 182
If you know your car history, the Williams is Legendary.

Valvers are a great car too, powerband is different, they need to rev hard to get the torque flowing. The handling is good, but the Williams is amazing.

Petrol Blue 182.
yes, ive been out in a williams a few times and loved it. But its all coming down to insurance, williams is like £3000 lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Theres a white hybrid valver on Pistonheads for sale at the moment.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Ok. I was only asking as obviously that'll balloon insurance. If not I think you are doing the right thing.

Petrol Blue 182.
thought id go for the valver, as the insurance is cheaper and ive herd that theres not alot in it between a williams and valver? that could be bull lol. daniel ive found one for £600 in london that im going to have a look at

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Erm, there is alot. Handaling is alot better in the Williams. Pulls better. However if it's a cost saving excercise you may be hard pushed to notice a couple of k difference. I'd say Williams' are for the real enthusiasts'. If you're thinking do I don't I, probably go with a valver.

Petrol Blue 182.
id be going for a stripped out, buckets seat type. maybe track it if i can find insurance. I couldnt do that to a williams! lol

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, that's right. Williams' enthusiasts. I'm struggling to see what you mean.

Anyway, you could to a two.

Last edited: