ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16V Modifying

Clio Extreme 3
Why do people modify their 1.2 16v Clio's? I have one but because it's a small capacity I am unsure whether to modify it slightly to make it look a little more sporty. I am unable to afford to buy a faster car or sportier car.

2003 Clio 172
Why do people modify their 1.2 16v Clio's? I have one but because it's a small capacity I am unsure whether to modify it slightly to make it look a little more sporty. I am unable to afford to buy a faster car or sportier car.

Younger drivers, insurance, etc.

Would be very easy to turn it into a 172/182 rep. Wheels, interior, etc can be had for peanuts really.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Every time you want to modify it.. put the cost of that into savings and soon you will have the money for a better car.

Keep yours clean, standard, and therefore easily sellable and when the time comes, upgrade.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member

Are you a young driver?
If you're currently unable to afford a faster/sportier car, you're probably unable to afford the insurance on a modified car? When I was 18, just adding something simple like lowering springs almost doubled my insurance as 9/10 companies wouldn't insure me for a reasonable price

Clio Extreme 3
Are you a young driver?
If you're currently unable to afford a faster/sportier car, you're probably unable to afford the insurance on a modified car? When I was 18, just adding something simple like lowering springs almost doubled my insurance as 9/10 companies wouldn't insure me for a reasonable price

No I'm not a young driver, just can't afford anything faster for a couple of years. I'm doing the whole grown up thing lol.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I think there’s loads of reasons to modify a low power car but only if you do it yourself. It’s a brilliant way of learning about mechanic without the fear of making expensive mistakes and it’s how I really got into cars. I wouldn’t however convert a petrol clio because the main benefit of a replica isn’t there, the fuel economy. My DCI does 65 mpg and has the handling, electrics (soon) and looks of a sport, a combination I wish they’d made from the factory. When the car is done it’s almost free to run and will owe me about £800. I say go for it!