ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£3500 Which one?!

Monaco 172 (02)
My first proper post so big hello's! :)

Right, I recently had a spout of car trouble so have taken the plunge and decided to get a new car.

I've had a few hatches Saxo VTS / ZR 160 etc. and I see the Clio as the next step up. The trouble is £3500 is high end PH1 or low end PH2. It has to be reliable which from experience means FSH and low miles kind of making the ph2 a no go!

So....
Mint low Mileage FSH etc. PH1
OR
A Cheap, probably a little scruffy higher mileage PH2 (which is the shape I prefer)

Do Ph1 retain their value a bit better?

I've done some research on common faults on the PH2 (exhausts/front engine mounts etc.) but can't really find any on the Ph1.

Also, do the Ph1 have xenons? Can't quite tell.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for any advice!
Sean

Last edited:
  RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Hi Sean, welcome to the club.

There are some mint ph2's out there with low mileage for the money you have, You just need to keep an eye open on pistonheads. It might even be worth saving up the extra 500 to find a better example if funds allow.

The differences between the ph1 and ph2 engine wise are minimal so any issues you see with the ph2 should also be a factor you consider when buying the ph1.

The ph1 from what i remember does not have xeonons, it also has less pretty interior. The ph1 is cable throttle, so it is probably a bit more pokey than the ph2.

in my opinon hold out for a ph2. If you like silver, then this is a good colour to buy the ph2 in as it generally goes for a little cheaper than the other variants such as Flame red, and blue etc..

Good luck with your search

Italian 3.2 V6
If u look hard enough u can buy one for that price, I bought mine for £3,600 with 48k and was a 2002 model. Mint condition also! Great value for
Money!

A ANIMAL
Engines are the same basically other than the manifold and a few little bits.

Ph1 have bi-optic headlights not xenon.

I'd have a Ph1 for the money, i just like the look of them.

CLIO Iceberg 172
they arn't recaros lol they are the 172 standard leather.

as for choice the monico blue one looks mint

Monaco 172 (02)
Thanks for the replies!

I know PH2 are available for that money, but I'm after a low mileage say 50K with FSH, As mint as possible and has to be standard other than lowering as thats something I plan to do anyway.

I think I am asking to much for a PH2 really.

Whats considred high mileage on these?!
Say I did get a PH2 with 75K and in two years it has 100K am I going to struggle to shift it?

CLIO Iceberg 172
i paid 4400 for a 29k 51 reg ph2 172 about 14 months ago so they should be coming down by now, its only just reached 37k now love it!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I bought an 02 iceberg 172 with 80k, cambelt done etc for £2600.

Check pistonheads - Daz' monaco 172 is on the for £3200 - 60k miles

BMW E46 330i Touring
Welcome mate, I'm sure you'll be able to find a cracking Ph1 for your budget, or a pretty nice Ph2.

I'm a bit tired of saying it so much, but people place too much emphasis on mileage. Fair enough if it's ticked over 100k but I would much rather have an 80k motor with FSH and a book of history / receipts that has obviously been cared for than a 50k'er which has a stamped book but no receipts or paper trail.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
theirs plenty going about over 100k that are reliable.

thing is, the engine will outlive the car no problem, engines are bullet proof when serviced.

the cars are generally Very reliable IF they are driven properly. take it down a backroad daily for 100,000 miles and drive it hard and it will be fine but theirs too many people out there who wheelspin and give them death in first gear everywhere and rush them through the gears as quick as they possibly can killing the driveshafts, box and clutch etc.

find one thats been well looked after, full service history, the cambelt will be due on them so either make sure its done or use it to knock at least £500 off the price as thats what its going to cost to have done.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Also keep in mind that the Phase 1 has a shorter throttle cable and a shorter ratio gearbox coupled with 15" wheels.

Some say its the fastest, but whose counting :eek:

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
ph1 is faster and probably better to drive than ff ph2, but then again it has a nasty interior, and doesn't have xenons or climate

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
FLOL @ the nasty interior

Who looks at the dash when driving or is that the reason so many Phase 1's have been written off/crashed?

I chuckle everytime i read that pisch

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
It seems the biggest bug bear from the masses tbh, fair enough but if it was the toss up between buying a well cared for and cherished phase 1 and a neglected heap of a Phase 2. My money would go on the Phase 1. Pish interior or not lol

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It seems the biggest bug bear from the masses tbh, fair enough but if it was the toss up between buying a well cared for and cherished phase 1 and a neglected heap of a Phase 2. My money would go on the Phase 1. Pish interior or not lol
I think I would agree and the ph1 has grown on me a lot since first coming on.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
FLOL @ the nasty interior

Who looks at the dash when driving or is that the reason so many Phase 1's have been written off/crashed?

I chuckle everytime i read that pisch

How is it pish? the ph2 interior is nicer, you can't argue with that.

Clio 172 cup
I actually prefer ph1 interior. White dials, silver trim, alloy gearknob, nicer front seats with coloured logo etc

As for the exterior the ph1 looks soooooo much meaner than the ph2

Golf GTD Mk7
Also keep in mind that the Phase 1 has a shorter throttle cable and a shorter ratio gearbox coupled with 15" wheels.

Some say its the fastest, but whose counting :eek:

Also early ph1 have a lower tax grade i think. Insurance also maybe. One or both, can't remember :S

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
How is it pish? the ph2 interior is nicer, you can't argue with that.

Well as i own a Phase 1 i disagree.

Why is it nicer? Because there are more buttons to press and the plastic is made in outer mongolia rather than downtown nagasaki?

Its all the same to me mate, i bought it because its fast and gives me good fuel consumption. If i wanted to be at one with mother earth (i.e leather and mahogany dash) Id have bought a BMW of some sort.

Monaco 172 (02)
Im looking at this tomorrow

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/994428.htm

Due to the lack of MOT i asked about anywork he thinks may need doing.
This was his response:-

''Regarding MOT work to be done

On the dogbone mount there is a rubber bush which has a small split in it, so that might need replacing

£40 from ktec racing and 15-20mins to fit it yourself, have a look on cliosport its pretty easy, If i still have the car beofre its MOT ill have it done myself anyway.''

Is that likely to be anything more (assuming somethings banging)
I know the engine mounts are weak on them so.......

He has offered to MOT in 2 weeks time but I mat ask to be flexible on the price a bit more instead.