ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you...

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Spend your all your money on a 40D or go for a 450D and use the spare cash to get a better lens?

I like the more robust body of the 40D but prefer the slightly lighter 450D also!

Out of the box the 40 does take a better photo but I reckon spending extra £££ on a good lens would restore the balance in the 450D's favour..

What do you think?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
True! I was just wondering when you get to a certain point of lense pricing does the body differences tend to be less important?

Oil Burner
It depends what sort of work you use the body for. I have seen significant improvements in every upgrade i've made in mainly AF performance and ISO performance. I've never used a 450d so i cant comment on it too much, but my 40d was significantly better than my 400d. Having said which, the 450d is a younger model than the 40d.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Yeah, I was looking for something around the 40d, 450 price ranges, my mums fella managed to get a well priced 450d, so having handled and played with both a little I'm happy with on of those two - unless something from the likes of say Nikon can do something similar for less?

I've only used standard lenses with both and didn't have a change to compare comparative images so I'm having to go off reviews and hopefully cs'ers opinions - seeing that this is the hope of dslr's on the net!

I must admit the 450d feels nicer in hand being that touch smaller.

Mayeb I should just buy a 350d and spend a fortune on a flash and a lense!

Last edited:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Righto been looking into this more and quite fancy a Nikon d5000, I'd rather buy new thinking about it (I just like having new things!)

So for me its either a Canon 500D (pretty much a 450D with a few plus points) or the Nikon D5000

I'm used to Canons so I was wondering if anyone has used both and how they got on navigating with each?

Also is it as easy to get lenses for the Nikons as it is for the canons?

Oil Burner
Personally i couldn't get to grips with Nikon. However i'm sure you would get used to it over time.

Lens wise, Nikon have a marginally smaller used market, but there is still lots of stuff out there. For new lenses you just need to check the 5000 can use non AF-s lenses (enter a Nikon boffin).

I have used both briefly. The Canon was very simple to use, but being a Canon'er of 3 yrears i would say that. The Nikon pissed me off in no time flat, but i just didn't know what i was doing with it. Go and abuse Jessops, try out the D5000.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
^^^ aye thats the plan - weekend trip to Jessops is in order!

Are there Nikon boffs in here? I thought it was all Canon love :)

koi

Audi S1
Used both Nikon and Canon. Find the Canon easier to navigate but this is probably just cause it's what I started out with so more familiar with the layout of the menus

Cupra
I also started with Canon and have never really looked at crossing over. A mate of mine has let me use his D300 & D700 and they are nice pieces of kit but I am used to Canon so will stick with them.

It comes down to personal preference as well as what features you want at what price point. Canon and Nikon never really go head to head with identical products at identical prices.

To answer your initial question, I'd go for the 40D. I started with the 350D and moved onto the 40. The ergonimcs made it a much nicer camera to use (for me). That said, other people like the way the xxxDs feel in your hand more.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I give up lol, after reading the s**t out of the t'internet and going to several shops I've narrowed it down to a D5000, D90, 450D, 500D, 550D, 40D and err I think thats it lol.

Some second hand, some new and some silly scale in prices of course!

In my hand I liked the D5000, 4fps was nice, felt good for a first (or return for me) to dslr's but could be slightly sloooow to use once I'm back up and running - liked the photos it took and its a bargain at the moment.

The d90 was also tres bien, I think I want that purely because its higher up the chain than the D5000!

All the rebels felt nice, I know the 550 beats the other rebels hands down but is very pricey - loved the screen, took some nice pics too.

40D is a 40D is a 40D, I'm just worried it might be getting a tad too old hat now to be thinking about - the picture quality and nice shutter speeds speak for themselves though.

ARRRGGGHHH!

I thought buying a new TV was hard work!