ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiring Mobius permanently as dashcam

Clio 172 Cup
Inspired by a couple of threads on here I've bought a Mobius cam to use as a dashcam. I'd like to wire it in permanently rather than having cables dangling everywhere, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to electrickery.

Could anyone that's done this very kindly explain what I need and how to do it? I've found guides for other cars but they all assume a level of electrical knowledge that I don't possess. Basically, I need someone to explain it like I'm five.

Currently I have a cam, a memory card, a USB cable that's far too short for anything, and a holder thingy. My plan is to use some black Sugru to mould the holder onto the rear view mirror and run the cable down the inside of the A-pillar for maximum stealth, but I could use some guidance to get it wired in.

I'd like it to automatically start when I turn the ignition on and stop when I turn it off.

I believe I need a longer cable of some sort, and some way of connecting it to an existing power source (possibly the cigarette lighter), and maybe a capacitor instead of the battery. But exactly what I need and how to install it is beyond my knowledge.

Help me Cliosport, you're my only hope.

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks Mike, much appreciated. I'm not kidding however when I say I'm a complete electrical novice: what's the best way to tap into the 12V feed, and what's the best way to attach the earth wire to the chassis?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Joovuu do a 3 metre cable IIRC. Just run it down the A pillar, around the top of the foot well and plug it into the cigarette lighter.

Don't plug it straight into 12v without the car plug on the end as you'll cook it.

Clio 172 Cup
Joovuu do a 3 metre cable IIRC. Just run it down the A pillar, around the top of the foot well and plug it into the cigarette lighter.

Don't plug it straight into 12v without the car plug on the end as you'll cook it.
Hmm, OK, thanks McGherkin. I'd like to keep the cigarette lighter free though, for plugging in my phone and such. I've seen that you can get replacement/extra lighter sockets, would it be worth tapping one of those in around the back and plugging it in there?

Edited to add - this seems the kind of thing that would fit the bill?

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Just as above really, find a 12 volt supply that turns on and off with the ignition and connect the red wire to it, then earth the black wire to the body somewhere.

Just as above really, find a 12 volt supply that turns on and off with the ignition and connect the red wire to it, then earth the black wire to the body somewhere.

So you could connect it to say the wires under the lighter and carry on using the socket for phone etc or would that overload that circuit?

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks chaps, really appreciate it. I'll order the hardwire kit and then come back to this thread when I inevitably set the car on fire and need more help.

Clio 172 Cup
Just been researching this a bit more, and most guides online seem to suggest getting a fuse piggyback set up for hardwiring. How essential is this? Will just splicing into a live wire be ok, or do I risk flaming death?
Having looked at the 172 fuse box I'm not sure the cover would go back on if there was a piggyback connector. If one's a good idea, presumably an inline fuse would work as well?

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Just been researching this a bit more, and most guides online seem to suggest getting a fuse piggyback set up for hardwiring. How essential is this? Will just splicing into a live wire be ok, or do I risk flaming death?
Having looked at the 172 fuse box I'm not sure the cover would go back on if there was a piggyback connector. If one's a good idea, presumably an inline fuse would work as well?
Right my dashcam setup runs from one of the top row of fuses, with a mini piggyback fuse, had to remove 2 lugs from fuse box cover to shut it, (fairly apparent) I put earth to bolt just above fuse box. Then ran it through dash and A pillar and down to windscreen, I then ran an extra wire from piggyback to the boot where it powers my other Blackvue which has an earth in the boot :)

Clio 182
I was in your boat recently and bought;

Soldering iron
'Add a circuit' fuse tap
Plug in USB and cigarette light socket extension set from pound land
Some bits too make an earth

The only hard bit is finding an earth. You could probably use fuse blocks and not solder.

I would have to say use YouTube and its actually a really easy project to learn the basics of car electrics.

Clio 172 Cup
Cheers Rawhide. Did you have any issues fitting the add a circuit fuse tap in under the cover (assuming you used the one by the passenger door)?

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
@McGherkin I'm going to buy a couple of these, one for the 987 & one for the Lupo, I will hardwire them in though as it's a tidier solution...

Looking at this;

https://www.joovuu.com/gb/home/228-...uper_capacitor-yes/hardwire_kit-mini_hardwire

Obviously I need the camera, mount, hardwire kit, no lens extension/super capacitor...

Do I need both the car charging kit (single) & also the extension cable? Of can I choose not to hae them if I'm hardwiring, don't want to spend money for a cable I dont need / wont use.

Thanks

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The car charger is a 12 volt to USB adapter AFAIK. You'll need it (or a voltage regulator, they're quite cheap on ebay) to drop the voltage to 5v, which is what the Mobius takes.

Not sure what the hardwire kit contains, perhaps it's a voltage regulator as above.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
I think I have a few old 12v to 5v VR's from xbox 360's, will need to check the schematics. I'll run without the extension cable, Pretty sure I probably have one laying around if I do need it.

Thanks

Clio 172 Cup
Just thought I'd update my tales with this.

I initially hardwired it in and all was fine, but then I got a DAB head unit, and the Mobius completely knackered the signal, at least with the DAB aerial mounted on the windscreen. Since then I've ordered the shielded Mobius case and tried running a shielded cable from my lighter socket, but it still really interferes with it. For now, I'm just not listening to DAB very much, and when I do I unplug the cable from the back of the camera. Longer term I may try adding a DAB roof aerial, but that's a bit of expense I could do without.

Just a warning in case anyone fancies going digital.