ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter tyres

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
I'm looking to get some winter tyres for my megane, 235/35/19.
Has anyone used the kumho wintercraft wp72? They seem reasonably priced

Cheers

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Being Kumho Is a respectable brand - I’d imagine that they are a good choice. IMO.

Reactions: npt

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I have used the following winter tyres on RWD vehicles:

Michelin Pilot Alpin 3
Michelin Pilot Alpin 4
Vredestein Wintrac Extreme

All 3 were good, not just in snow but in cold damp conditions there is a noticeable improvement in grip.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Whereabouts are you? For much of the winter in the UK unless you're dealing with snow a winter tyre will be overkill and one of the new generation of all season tyres would be a better fit.

You'll give up a little bit in snow and ice performance but gain elsewhere.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I hope your getting a spare set of rims, the cost to swap the tyres over these days is daylight robbery.

Go grab a set of spare alloys or steels in a smaller size and get cheaper rubber.

My volvo was on 18's, but I stuck on some 16" steels with winters on. The handling in the wet alone was worth the money.

Unless you're sleeping with the local tyre guys, £60 is the lowest I imagine they'll move the tyres.. And I wouldnt trust them not to damage the side walls, likely see a bulge on a sidewall a week later and it'll be YOUR fault.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I hope your getting a spare set of rims, the cost to swap the tyres over these days is daylight robbery.

Go grab a set of spare alloys or steels in a smaller size and get cheaper rubber.

My volvo was on 18's, but I stuck on some 16" steels with winters on. The handling in the wet alone was worth the money.

Unless you're sleeping with the local tyre guys, £60 is the lowest I imagine they'll move the tyres.. And I wouldnt trust them not to damage the side walls, likely see a bulge on a sidewall a week later and it'll be YOUR fault.
This

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
I have used the following winter tyres on RWD vehicles:

Michelin Pilot Alpin 3
Michelin Pilot Alpin 4
Vredestein Wintrac Extreme

All 3 were good, not just in snow but in cold damp conditions there is a noticeable improvement in grip.
I would like these but they are double the price, I know they are better but not sure I need to spend so much, already spend enough on summer tyres 🤣

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Whereabouts are you? For much of the winter in the UK unless you're dealing with snow a winter tyre will be overkill and one of the new generation of all season tyres would be a better fit.

You'll give up a little bit in snow and ice performance but gain elsewhere.

I was thinking on them, I'm up in the North east of Scotland, but I work away from home a lot so its not used daily as such

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I would like these but they are double the price, I know they are better but not sure I need to spend so much, already spend enough on summer tyres 🤣
Probably not as important on a FWD car, but as Dave says can you get a second set of wheels in a smaller size?

I dropped from 18's to 17's and went narrower, as tyres are a more common size, thus cheaper and also narrower ones are better in snow.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup

It's around 70 to 80 to change them over from a guy i know, I've been looking for wheels but not much about, and the ones I have seen I'm not keen on paying the price as most are rough as toast or wont deliver, I'll likely get a set next year hopefully or upgrade the wheels, I have been looking for a set but the Meg has a huge offset, and most wheels I like dont, then they would stick out which is a look I don't like

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Probably not as important on a FWD car, but as Dave says can you get a second set of wheels in a smaller size?

I dropped from 18's to 17's and went narrower, as tyres are a more common size, thus cheaper and also narrower ones are better in snow.
Hard to find with the offset or fitment for the car, even upgraded wheels is very hard to find, the styles that are close I don't like, I'll sort some out soon maybe

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Hard to find with the offset or fitment for the car, even upgraded wheels is very hard to find, the styles that are close I don't like, I'll sort some out soon maybe
More choice with a BMW to be fair, loads of wheels for sale in various sizes & offsets.

Like driving a magic carpet on 17's though, having some sidewall flex makes a massive difference LOL

I bought second season tyres and wheels from Germany eBay. Around £500 for the lot. All with 7+mm of tread and as the point was made above, change the wheels over myself rather than paying £20 a tyre.