ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Willy 2 Steering play...

Morning guys.

Im in need of some urgent advice. For a while the steering has had a bit of play in it, but it didnt bother me too much. Its now got to the point where im putting in way to much input into the steering wheel and getting bugger all responce!!!

I have eliminated that the rack is fine, and so i think its the UJ inside the car at the bottom of the steering column. Renault just said that the whole column needs replacing @ £160inc vat!! Is there not a cheaper way to fix it??

When i pushed my foot up against the bottom of the column the play virtually disapeared.

Anybody know where i could get this fixed and for roughly how much? Im in sevenoaks in kent by the way.

Your advice will be welcomed.

Thanks

Willy2

you need to weld the joint in the colomn, its very hard to explain, my mate done mine for me and it works fine.

Theres a rubber sleeve around the cloumn where it slots into the UJ. Over time this degrades and hence the column turns in the UJ before it turns on the rack itself, which causes the loss of precision.

Some people have welded it, although others say this compromises the safety feature of the collapsible steering column. AFAIK this isnt the case as the column doesnt respond to impact at the UJ. The only other downside is that the rubber is there to soak up some vibration and you may possibly get this if the joint is welded.

I actually used a couple of self-tapping screws to do the job on my old Williams - worked a treat! Just lift the boot around the UJ in the drivers footwell, locate the joint and screw in some self tappers.

Hi guys.

Ben H thanks for your info. I sorted out the problem by placing two strips of metal down the sleeve of the UJ, and spot welded it in place. Works a TREAT!! no play whatsoever done and dusted in about 15 mins.

The car drives like its on rails now, with no apparent vibration or any surplus noises.

Thanks again.