ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams transplant

BMX

Hi everyone, Im sorry if Im covering old ground or something, but, I need a new engine for my 1.8 16V phase 1. I really want to go down the williams route and as there seems to be a few rolled examples around, Im hopeful that I can get the parts easy enough.

The problem is, in addition to the complete engine and gearbox, does anyone know what other bits n pieces I need. Im guessing manifold, ecu and loom, but it really is a guess.

Am I missing something obvious, or am I going to end up buying something that I dont need.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

What youve said is about it. You may need the plip keys and decoder unit from the doner vehicle if it has an immobiliser.

You dont need the ECU afaik, though most people seem to swap it - the Willy lumps tend to come with everything.

Im told by someone who has completed multiple conversions that you can leave the 16v loom where it is!

You also dont need the Williams exhaust manifold, in fact if you use this you also will need the downpipe, cat (or decat) and possibly mid/back sections of the exhaust too - makes your life harder/more expensive!

You can use your 1.8 16v manifold which will fit straight to the Williams lump.

Many people also use the 1.8 16v gearbox no problem..

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i suppose the exhaust doesnt matter that much and the looms would be the same but surely it would run better with the williams ecu or at least chip your valver ecu to compensate.

Quote: Originally posted by riplash on 28 March 2004

You dont need the ECU afaik, though most people seem to swap it - the Willy lumps tend to come with everything.
Oops.. I put ECU!! :oops:

Meant Loom.

Would use Williams ECU, or chipped valver ECU, as JAY172 said.

BMX

Thanks guys, so thinking clearly, all I actually need is the complete engine and the ECU, which presumably will plug straight into the 16V loom, and then im on my way?

Would you recommend fitting the meatier driveshafts from a willy, while im at it?

You wont be able fit the willy driveshafts straight on as they are longer than the 16v ones. To do this you would need the williams ARB, wishbones and shocks to compensate for their length.

BMX

Hmmm, my reason for mentioning it in the first place was that I didnt want to get the engine all hooked up and then a couple of weeks later the std 16V driveshafts give up the ghost due to the extra power.

Especially as Ill probably try to get a bit more power from the willy anyway!!

Ill get the parts priced up and take it from there I think.

You only essentially need the engine, the box works and the ECU will work, will work better with a 2ltr chip (if you cant get a willy ECU). The ECU will plug straight in, the engine will flop straight in, the driveshafts will be fine as they are quite beefy std anyway.

Theres plenty of people running willy lumps with standard 16v driveshafts and a few turboed cars as well so they should be able to handle any extra power you could (realistically) throw at them. For this reason, it would not be worth the £s and effort to fit all the extra parts necessary for the willy driveshafts IMO. Out of interest, i have bought all the parts new (bar shafts) necessary for the conversion but am loosing interest if youre after them....

If i was you, id plough any extra cash youve got into a big brake kit or coilovers. Youll probably need these when youre "testing" out your new 2ltr! :D

Well, ive got brand new ARB, ARB bushes, shocks, wishbones - just need the shafts and to get it fitted but the cost has mounted up! TBH i dont think i could really exploit the handling improvement itd give me and theres other stuff i should really get done first (new starter/fix dents etc) so am having a rethink..... I may still do it but you know it is when youre short of money! :oops:

Hang in there bud, youll feel so much better ones its all done.

Put it on the back burner and pick the peices up slowly if need be, then maybe fitting wont be such the task you think it is.

Youre prob right - cheers for that! :D Think ill shift the parts out to my folks house though as almost impaled myself on the ARB coming in from the pub the other night!

LOL!!

yea, originally designed as a WWII French/german home gaurd killer, it would lie unsuspectingly once dropped from german bombers. But it never really worked.

Dont loose interest u33db..

Ive lost interest in the idea of the engine conversion for the moment.. but the other bits and bobs are getting done on my new valver asap! (just lucky enough to have the dead Willy to rape for parts!! hehe)

BMX

Nice one, Ill just get the engine and ECU for now!!!

Any spare cash will go towards some coilovers and decent brakes - although, probably restricted to some grooved discs and fast road pads, as I really want to keep car looking std complete with turbines.

Just out of interest, and being a bit new to this clio forum, what is the general feeling about which coilovers work best with these cars?

The only bits needed to do the 2.0 conversion are the F7R 2.0 bottom end (from Williams, Megane Ph1 Coupe, Spider), the starter motor and a 2.0 chip (from a tuner if needs be). The head and inlet/exhaust manifolds from the F7P 16V will slot straight on - there are subtle internal differences, but nothing youd notice out on the road.

You dont need the gearbox either, although the Williams gearbox has a tougher casing, taller 5th cog and bigger bearings.

Planning to, but perhaps wont do it for the time being.. Priorities for the car lie elsewhere.

Seems a bit rude not to when I have a "free" 56k Williams lump though, but its still pricey engine when it could bring me cash right now.

So, Lee.. I probably have all the parts you need available !!

PM me if youre interested.

Quote: Originally posted by Lee16V on 28 March 2004

Any spare cash will go towards some coilovers and decent brakes - although, probably restricted to some grooved discs and fast road pads, as I really want to keep car looking std complete with turbines.
Ive been told that k-tecs 285mm kit will fit behind turbines if that helps.