ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do my pictures seem 'cold' on my Canon?

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can offer some advise?

I shoot in raw (usually on Auto) with my Canon 550d. My photos always seem to come out very 'cold', ie I have to 'warm them up' when editing afterwards.

Is there anything I can do in the settings to make the colour temp abit better, pisses me off having to edit loads of photos after a day out!

Thanks.

Ok, this one is mildly edited taken on Auto...

14057975981_c6fc8c6a7d_c.jpg
Edited Z4 on AUTO by Matt Walker 1986, on Flickr

Un-edited taken on Auto...

14057984572_6af55b324e_c.jpg
Unedited Z4 on AUTO by Matt Walker 1986, on Flickr

And un-edited taken on Landscape...

14057951221_2e6c2fb575_c.jpg
Unedited Z4 using LANDSCAPE setting by Matt Walker 1986, on Flickr

Why on earth do they look so blue and cold before increasing the temperature?

* I seem to have overdone the colour temp on the edited one, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I think you need to calibrate your screen.

The top edited one is far too warm. Whites should be white - not yellow.

Landscape increases blues and greens IIRC.

Middle one is about spot on - lower one is just a little low on contrast.

Shooting at f/4 isn't going to help in bright daylight either.

Av mode - ~f/11 and re-shoot as it's cloudy.. f/16 if it's bright blue and sunny.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Yes, it's where I shoot most of the time unless I'm doing something specific / technical...

Read the stickies and calibrate your screen .. post up some pics and see what's what :)

Looking at your Flickr, you seem to take a decent shot .. getting a little more technical won't do you any harm !

It's a white balance issue (probably) but there's little point getting white balance right in camera and then working off an un calibrated monitor. Spyder express 4 £65. Auto white balance is a great starting point on the camera.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've noticed a massive difference in the pictures between my 550 and the Mrs' 50.
Both on the same lens, same aperture, iso etc her colours are more vibrant.

Have you tried using a custom white balance in the camera? A plain white sheet of paper in good light?
I need to buy a monitor because editing using a laptop is a pain due to the colour change when the screen moves a bit.