ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is this bracket for? Do I need it?

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Hi guys, this has been puzzling me for a little while. What is the below highlighted bracket for and does it need to be there? It's looking pretty ugly in the bay and I want to get rid of it, but obviously if it's there for a reason I'd like to know what that reason is.

Any help appreciated :)

bracket.png

clio 172 phs 1
Yup.....looks like someones been spraying water under your bonnet a few times with the amount of corrosion on bolts etc.....

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Somebody's added a lifting eye at some point for liftng the engine out. Had the car long? possibly had a new lump dropped in.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Not had it long at all. I've seen the bracket on a lot of engine bay photos, but I've also seen some without it. So I take it I'm safe to remove it?

Yea some of the bolts aren't in great condition but this weekend I'll be sorting that out and giving the bay the tlc it needs. The airbox is going and I have a nice alloy bend and Pipercross filter to go behind the headlight. Also refitting my battery cover. I don't think any of the previous owners have looked under the bonnet much.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Ah so they came like that as standard. In that case I may just clean it up, spray it black, and refit it.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Okay fraz, if they come as standard, just sheer luck, the ones ive had have been removed. You may have worked on loads of clios, so will appreciate your extensive knowledge of them. I work for a living on all different makes of cars everyday, with the worlds best faults thrown at me. But next time i get another, i shall make the mount my first check.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's a standard bracket on all F4's be it a 1.8 or 2.0... Renault put lifting eyes on nearly all engine platforms at factory.