ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird misfire...

Mk2 ph1 clio
Ok, the Girlfriend bought an 04 plate clio extreme 3 1.2 16v from tyneside autoparc at the start of march.

full service history and things like TDC sensor and lambda sensor changed.

We took the car to donnington park and it snowed overnight so we got out the tent/igloo and sat in the car with it running, stationary. The engine lights comes on but doesnt fash.. 15 minutes later it goes off fully.

Were drivingb ack home and get about 150 miles back up and it comes on, this time flashing and misfiring like mad.. wouldnt go over 50.. then the light went off and it "kicked" back into life and sped right up.

It's been into two seperate garages and they have changed :

Coil pack
HT leads
plugs

the second garage had another look and diagnosed a fault with the valves, either bent or worn.

We ran the warranty people up and their going to speak to the garagefor a full diagnosis and price before giving the go ahead but im abit miffed..

If it was a mechanical fault like the valves surely the misfire you be there constantly and getting worse.. rather than one minute being fine and accelerating like normal?

Im thinking more like a fault with the injectors but the garages have said that their little Tech 2's showing the injectors as being fine.. any thoughts?

mps aero
my first gues would have been the coil pack. but u say u changed that. . . if your not carefull tho ul ruin ur cat. my 172 was doin the same the coil pack and spark plugs sorted it. so i cant be much help

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
my first gues would have been the coil pack. but u say u changed that. . . if your not carefull tho ul ruin ur cat. my 172 was doin the same the coil pack and spark plugs sorted it. so i cant be much help

+1

Very same thing happened to me seems to be a common fault amongst the majority of owners here.

You can pick up a coil pack leads and sparks for under £100 i reckon that would fix it, and i think your right in saying that if it were the cylinders then the problem would persist constantly?

Mk2 ph1 clio
Glad im not the only one thinking that!

The repair looks like it's going ahead through warranty anyway so even if the valves are not at fault.. its getting the head gasket, timing belt and water pump done under the warranty .. quite a few less things to worry about even if we still have to pay for a set of HT leads to fix it!