ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WATTS & RMS

whats the formula in working out RMS from Watts.. for instance if i was buying a 1000watt sub, what would that work out in RMS? Or does this differ from manufactors etc...

Only reason im asking is that im trying to match a amp for a 1000wat sub but the amp is only measured in RMS...

Cheers in advanced..

James

right mate lets start

Rms means root mean squared

thats is the true power in watts that it can produce all day long

PMPO is peak music power out

that is how many watts it can produce for a split second really 1000 watts pmpo is abou 250 watts rms

some manufactures lie about power figures some lie for the better some lie to make their products look better i have a rockford fossgate amp rated at 4x 100 yet its been tested at 687W RMS they really under state the capeabilities of their stuff where as others say owers is 2000 pmpo because people just tend to go for the biggest numbers. your better looking at the efficency of the amp not just the power

The way Ive always looked at it is that Watts RMS is the best value to go for as it is a true reflection of the power handling capacities of the equipment.

From Watts RMS, double it to get Peak Watts and Double *that* figure to get Peak Maximum Power Output.

So dogmaul is right, a "1000watt PMPO" sub is only really a 250 Watts RMS sub (1000pmpo halved to get 500 peak and half of that to get 250 RMS).

Well, I hope that makes sense...?! :confused:

I would say go for a maximum amp of 250watts RMS. If you get a two channel amp (say 2x75watts RMS), you can often bridge them to produce a lot more (say 250W RMS, but in mono). Some of the ads in the back of Max Power etc detail this phenomenon, so have a look when you can.

Good luck!! :)

Thanks dogmaul & White16valver.. it all makes sense. :)

thats opened a few doors for me now, cheers for taking the time to reply!

dont forget only to put about 50% of what the subs watts rms into it i.e 1000wrms sub would work well with a 500wrms amp. you only need to add more than this if you are trying to make a compititon car or are running a high excursion sub.

Luke

350z & 16v Maxi

Dont agree with that 50% thing.

Basic rule if the Sub is 500watts RMS then put a 500watt RMS amp into it. You can use different watts but the basic rule is to match the RMS watts.

I wouldnt agree with that either. Matching RMS values is the way to go. The only problems that can arise is with the cheaper end of the scale. For instance if you have say a Pro Plus sub that says 1500 watts Max and 750watts RMS..and you do in fact feed 750 to it...it will die a very quick death.

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

<A name=015>Q: How much power does it take to get good bass from my sub?
A: When matching up an amplifier to a subwoofer, its important to look at continuous power. Many subwoofers and amplifiers are rated at both continuous and peak power; however, continuous power is the best indicator of what your gear can really handle. Try to match the continuous (or RMS) power rating of the sub to an amplifier with a similar continuous (or RMS) power rating. Err on the side of too much power. It is actually better (for the amp and the sub) to have too much amp and run it below its maximum output than to try and push a sub with an amp that is a little underpowered. Using an underpowered amp causes it to clip, which causes distortion that can damage your sub and amp.

<A name=025>Q: Im looking at speakers, and their efficiency ratings are only a little different. Does this rating even matter?
A: Efficiency is one of the most important specs to look at when you buy a speaker or subwoofer. You want to get the sound that you can, right? Then you want an efficient speaker. For every 3dB of difference, the amount of wattage that you need to play at the same volume doubles. For example, if all other things are equal, a subwoofer with an 89dB efficiency rating needs 200 watts of power to play at the same volume that a subwoofer with an efficiency rating of 91dB with only 100 watts going to it. By choosing an efficient sub, you squeeze every bit of bass possible from your amplifier.

BMW 320d Sport

Simple rule of thumb...if the equipment doesnt have an obvious RMS power rating on it, then its cheap crap that youd be better off not buying!

350z & 16v Maxi

Yea he is right but I was just surprised he even looked in the ICE forum never mind posted in it.