ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vodafone increasing prices - cancel contract for free

No harm in trying -

nice letter if you want to give it a go. Just found this on HotUKDeals.

[add your name, postal address, email address & telephone number]

Vodafone Limited
The Connection
Newbury
Berkshire
RG14 2FN

[date]

By Recorded Delivery Post

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Termination of Pay Monthly Mobile Contract –Mobile # [your mobile No.] Account No. [your Account No.] .

I hereby terminate my pay monthly mobile telephone contract with Vodafone. I have also given notice by telephone.

The reason for this termination is your notification of an exponential price increase of 08xx call charges effective from 11th October 2011. The increases are excessive and too high and to my Material/Financial Detriment. Any attempt to impose them on me without allowing a penalty –free right to cancel, is unfair and unenforceable as a matter of law.

Your unilateral increase offends §(i)-(l) inclusive of Schedule 2 and §5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. In particular, Schedule 2 (1)”(l) …allowing a seller of goods or supplier of services to increase their price without in both cases giving the consumer the corresponding right to cancel the contract if the final price is too high in relation to the price agreed when the contract was concluded;..”

You will be aware of Ofcom’s Guidance that this is objectionable “under continuing contracts where consumers are 'captive' – that is, they have no penalty-free right to cancel” but you have not seen fit to comply with Ofcom’s advice that to be fair; Any kind of variation clause may in principle be fair if consumers are free to escape its effects by ending the contract. To be genuinely free to cancel, they must not be left worse off for having entered the contract, whether by experiencing financial loss (for example, forfeiture of a prepayment) or serious inconvenience, or any other adverse consequences.”

I also refer you to Ofcom’s General Conditions of Entitlement under the General Authorisation, Condition 9 and 9.3 –which bind you: “9.3 Where the Communications Provider intends to modify a condition in a contract with a Consumer which is likely to be of material detriment to the Consumer, the Communications Provider shall: (a) provide the Consumer with at least one month‘s notice of its intention detailing the proposed modification; and (b) inform the Consumer of the ability to terminate the contract without penalty if the proposed modification is not acceptable to the Consumer.”

I now exercise my legal right to cancel the contract due to your unilateral price increase which is not acceptable to me and of Material Detriment.

I reject as unfair your attempt to artificially limit the right to cancel to some scenarios and not others in the face of the clear legislation and regulatory guidance and General Condition 9. Any attempt to claim a penalty and in particular a cancellation charge will be resisted. These terms are also unfair and therefore non- binding and unenforceable. Any claim for them will be disputed and you will need a Court Order to obtain payment of them. I will defend any legal proceedings for such sums under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

Yours sincerely,

Last edited:
The reason for this termination is your notification of an exponential price increase of 08xx call charges effective from 11th October 2011. The increases are excessive and too high and to my Material/Financial Detriment. Any attempt to impose them on me without allowing a penalty –free right to cancel, is unfair and unenforceable as a matter of law.

Erm, the vodafone site says.. "from 11 October 2011, we are reducing the price of calling these numbers for pay monthly customers to:.."

?

AK

M240i
we tell you that there will be an increase in the line-rental charge by more than the increase in the retail price index (worked out as a percentage) since the last line-rental increase and you write to us before the increase applies;

Our legal team aint daft ;)

True.

Is a 50% increase in the price of data not above RPI though.

Cancelling your contract is all fine and dandy but does that mean you have to forfeit the phone you have aswell?

It might not affect people who are in the last months of their contract as they have paid for the majority of the phone but people who are only a couple of months into a 2 year contract for instance?

Erm, the vodafone site says.. "from 11 October 2011, we are reducing the price of calling these numbers for pay monthly customers to:.."

?

Don't know I saw this on HotUKDeals..... I never ring 0800 numbers so won't be pushing that for a reason.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
what happens if they decide you arnt elegable for a fre cancelation? do they ring you and say no can do, if you want to cancel then you have to pay x amount.

or do they cancel it and charge you?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
id love to get shot of the Blackberry and get something new, im only about 10 months into a 2 year contract tho so im not sure wether id be able to?

AK

M240i
id love to get shot of the Blackberry and get something new, im only about 10 months into a 2 year contract tho so im not sure wether id be able to?

They are changing the terms of the contract, anyone can if they have signed the previous terms.

Worth a shot.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Already got a new phone due to an angry biting moment, 2 contacts are expensive.

Moonlight Blue 225
I work in business management for Vodafone and i hardly know whats going on. All i know is they are putting the prices up so that people can call 0845, 0800 and 0870 within their mins for free (i think, i've not been in for 3 weeks so don't hold me to that).

As vodafone gave less than 30days notice of changes, is that not the way out?

Just noticed they are doubling the data charges! Jeez, that may be my out!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I always go over my data allowance and send pic messages all the time, they better cancel my contract, sent my letter recorded yesterday. Then I can start using my Orange chip.

johnbryan45,you say they are putting prices up so you can call 08 this and that for free, how the feck is that free,vodafone can go forth and multiply,greedy barstewards.............